Panko Crusted Halibut

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jay, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. jay

    jay Guest

    This is a good one..going to serve it with fresh pan seared spinach and
    grape tomatoes... and some bubbly.

    Panko Crusted Halibut with Aioli
    2 eggs, plus 2 additional yolks
    3 scallions sliced, white and green parts separated
    1 cup olive Oil
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 cup all purpose flour
    1 cup panko
    1 pounds halibut fillets 1 inch thick
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Canola or grapeseed oil for frying

    Prepare a fryer and heat to 350 degrees. In a food processor fitted with
    a sharp blade, blend the 2 egg yolks and scallion whites on high until
    smooth. In a thin stream, drizzle in olive oil until emulsified. Season
    with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and check for flavor.
    Add lemon juice, pulse once and transfer to a jar and store in
    refrigerator until needed. Meanwhile, place the remaining 3 eggs in a
    dish and beat lightly. Place flour in a second dish and in a third dish,
    the panko mixed with scallion greens. To coat: season the halibut and
    dredge in flour, then egg, and then panko. Fry fish until golden brown
    and serve with aioli on the side.

    Minng Tsai .. recipe changed..original
    recipe called for cilantro aioli.

    Tags:

  2. jay wrote:
    > This is a good one..going to serve it with fresh pan seared spinach and

    >o <---thats a fish

    wow that sounds really really good

    any wine in the plans

  3. jay <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:p[email protected]:

    Recipe sounds awesome. I'm anxiouse to hear how it turns out.

    This is a good one..going to serve it with fresh pan seared spinach
    > and grape tomatoes... and some bubbly.

    <recipe snipped and save. Bubbly drank:)>

    Michael

    --
    “It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
    _Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

  4. jay

    jay Guest

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 00:10:34 +0000, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

    > jay <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
    > news:p[email protected]:
    >
    > Recipe sounds awesome. I'm anxiouse to hear how it turns out.

    > <recipe snipped and save. Bubbly drank:)>
    >
    > Michael

    It turned out pretty good. I ended up using the cilantro in the aioli
    and should have left it out. We like cilantro but halibut as you know is
    a mild flavored fish and the cilantro is a little over powering in this
    dish to me. It colored the aioli nicely though. The crust was great! You
    don't need the extra eggs for the dredge. I used the leftover egg whites
    and they worked fine. I think the recipe will work for most any fish. This
    was not expensive to make... actually had a coupon for free fish. Even
    without the "free" fish..way cheaper than almost any out to eat. Got the
    bubbles instead of flowers.. way better and much more useful. ;)