Pannetone options?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Joyce, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
    recipes that it can be used in?

    I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.

    Joyce

    Tags:

  2. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Joyce wrote:

    > We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
    > recipes that it can be used in?
    >
    > I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
    >
    > Joyce

    Toast it for breakfast. I recently saw a recipe using pannetone in bread pudding. It sounded good,
    but I'll be darned if I can remember where I saw it.

    gloria p

  3. Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
    >We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
    >recipes that it can be used in?
    >
    >I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.

    I never tried one before I bought one at Safeway the other day. I was kind of disappointed at the
    texture. The flavor is fine, though.

    I sprinkled dark rum on it. Better.

    I may try rum and maple syrup next.

    --Blair "Getting drunk makes me forget the disappointment."

  4. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    Joyce wrote:
    > We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
    > recipes that it can be used in?
    >
    > I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
    >
    > Joyce

    Bread pudding was what came to mind or me. Last night I had a bread pudding made with croissants,
    and it was decadent. You should be able to use a standard recipe and substitute pannetone for the
    bread, and perhaps reduce or eliminate the raisins, or use another fruit like golden raisins that is
    more compatible with the fruit in the pannetone.

    Steve
    --
    Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged Tools by Steve Bottorff
    Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com E-mail: steve AT

  5. x-no-archive: yes

    >Bread pudding was what came to mind or me. Last night I had a bread pudding made with croissants,
    >and it was decadent. You should be able to use a standard recipe and substitute pannetone for the
    >bread, and perhaps reduce or eliminate the raisins, or use another fruit like golden raisins that
    >is more compatible with the fruit in the pannetone.
    >
    >Steve

    Great idea. You could also use it in a trifle. French toast might even work.

    Naomi D.

  6. Laura

    Laura Guest

    I had visions on reading this thread of some type of xmas morning casserole, assembled the night
    before with pannetone and French toast batter- xmas morning just bake and eat/graze at your leisure.
    With some real maple syrup on the side. Oh and a coffee with Bailey's in it of course..that is OUR
    xmas morning tradition (makes staying calm around psycho kids easier....LOL)

    --

    Laura

    "Naomi Darvell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m28.aol.com...
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > >Bread pudding was what came to mind or me. Last night I had a bread pudding made with croissants,
    > >and it was decadent. You should be able to use a standard recipe and substitute pannetone for the
    > >bread, and perhaps reduce or eliminate the raisins, or use another fruit like golden raisins that
    > >is more compatible with the fruit in the pannetone.
    > >
    > >Steve
    >

    > Great idea. You could also use it in a trifle. French toast might even
    work.

    > Naomi D.

  7. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Joyce wrote:

    > We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
    > recipes that it can be used in?
    >
    > I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
    >
    > Joyce

    It will freeze fine for a few weeks, well-wrapped. But you can use it in bread pudding or trifle.

  8. Readah

    Readah Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:44:47 -0000, "Joyce" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
    >recipes that it can be used in?
    >
    >I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
    >
    >Joyce

    1. toasted with butter or homemade jams
    2. dipped in cafe au lait (or cappucino)-- just enough to moisten in slightly
    3. excellent in bread pudding -- use it when challah or croissants are listed in the recipe. readah

  9. Circe

    Circe Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:45:54 -0800, readah <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:44:47 -0000, "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
    >>recipes that it can be used in?
    >>
    >>I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
    >>
    >>Joyce
    >>

    >1. toasted with butter or homemade jams
    >2. dipped in cafe au lait (or cappucino)-- just enough to moisten in slightly
    >3. excellent in bread pudding -- use it when challah or croissants are listed in the recipe. readah

    It makes great french toast.

    circe

  10. Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I may try rum and maple syrup next.

    So I did, tonight, and wow.

    This is the way to go.

    Dark rum and Grade-B syrup.

    --Blair "Bullseye."

  11. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    "Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as
    it
    > >is. Are there any recipes that it can be used in?
    > >
    > >I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
    >
    > I never tried one before I bought one at Safeway the other day. I was kind of disappointed at the
    > texture. The flavor is fine, though.

    Ours is imported from Italy. The brand name is Alemagna.

    Joyce

  12. Anna Maria

    Anna Maria Guest

    Joyce wrote:
    > We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
    > recipes that it can be used in?
    >
    > I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
    >
    > Joyce

    If you already cut the panettone, well all those options: pudding, dipping, are great. If you have a
    whole panettone there are sevaral recipes you want to try. An excellent one comes to my mind:

    Carve the panettone from the bottom. Reserve a slice to close it afterward. Soak the inside with
    Cointreau. Mix the crumbs with zabaglione cream. Put the mix back into the cavity. Place the slice
    back to close the opening. Pour on top a chocolate ganache. Superyummy!

    Ciao, Anna Maria

    www.annamariavolpi.com

  13. Jean Clarke

    Jean Clarke Guest

    Pannetone makes a really fine tasting bread pudding. Be sure to butter the pieces as you build
    the pudding.

    Just a Jeanie