Pannetone options?

Joyce

Guest
We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
recipes that it can be used in?

I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.

Joyce

Joyce wrote:

> We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
> recipes that it can be used in?
>
> I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
>
> Joyce

Toast it for breakfast. I recently saw a recipe using pannetone in bread pudding. It sounded good,
but I'll be darned if I can remember where I saw it.

gloria p

Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
>We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
>recipes that it can be used in?
>
>I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.

I never tried one before I bought one at Safeway the other day. I was kind of disappointed at the
texture. The flavor is fine, though.

I sprinkled dark rum on it. Better.

I may try rum and maple syrup next.

--Blair "Getting drunk makes me forget the disappointment."

Joyce wrote:
> We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
> recipes that it can be used in?
>
> I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
>
> Joyce

Bread pudding was what came to mind or me. Last night I had a bread pudding made with croissants,
and it was decadent. You should be able to use a standard recipe and substitute pannetone for the
bread, and perhaps reduce or eliminate the raisins, or use another fruit like golden raisins that is
more compatible with the fruit in the pannetone.

Steve
--
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged Tools by Steve Bottorff
Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com E-mail: steve AT

x-no-archive: yes

>Bread pudding was what came to mind or me. Last night I had a bread pudding made with croissants,
>and it was decadent. You should be able to use a standard recipe and substitute pannetone for the
>bread, and perhaps reduce or eliminate the raisins, or use another fruit like golden raisins that
>is more compatible with the fruit in the pannetone.
>
>Steve

Great idea. You could also use it in a trifle. French toast might even work.

Naomi D.

I had visions on reading this thread of some type of xmas morning casserole, assembled the night
before with pannetone and French toast batter- xmas morning just bake and eat/graze at your leisure.
With some real maple syrup on the side. Oh and a coffee with Bailey's in it of course..that is OUR
xmas morning tradition (makes staying calm around psycho kids easier....LOL)

--

Laura

m28.aol.com...

Joyce wrote:

> We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
> recipes that it can be used in?
>
> I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
>
> Joyce

It will freeze fine for a few weeks, well-wrapped. But you can use it in bread pudding or trifle.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:44:47 -0000, "Joyce" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
>recipes that it can be used in?
>
>I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
>
>Joyce

1. toasted with butter or homemade jams
2. dipped in cafe au lait (or cappucino)-- just enough to moisten in slightly
3. excellent in bread pudding -- use it when challah or croissants are listed in the recipe. readah

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:45:54 -0800, readah <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:44:47 -0000, "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
>>recipes that it can be used in?
>>
>>I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
>>
>>Joyce
>>

>1. toasted with butter or homemade jams
>2. dipped in cafe au lait (or cappucino)-- just enough to moisten in slightly
>3. excellent in bread pudding -- use it when challah or croissants are listed in the recipe. readah

It makes great french toast.

circe

Blair P. Houghton <[email protected]> wrote:

>I may try rum and maple syrup next.

So I did, tonight, and wow.

This is the way to go.

Dark rum and Grade-B syrup.

--Blair "Bullseye."

"Blair P. Houghton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Joyce <[email protected]> wrote:
> >We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as
it
> >is. Are there any recipes that it can be used in?
> >
> >I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
>
> I never tried one before I bought one at Safeway the other day. I was kind of disappointed at the
> texture. The flavor is fine, though.

Ours is imported from Italy. The brand name is Alemagna.

Joyce

Joyce wrote:
> We've been given a large pannetone which is going to take ages to eat as it is. Are there any
> recipes that it can be used in?
>
> I never know whether it is treated as a cake or a bread.
>
> Joyce

If you already cut the panettone, well all those options: pudding, dipping, are great. If you have a
whole panettone there are sevaral recipes you want to try. An excellent one comes to my mind:

Carve the panettone from the bottom. Reserve a slice to close it afterward. Soak the inside with
Cointreau. Mix the crumbs with zabaglione cream. Put the mix back into the cavity. Place the slice
back to close the opening. Pour on top a chocolate ganache. Superyummy!

Ciao, Anna Maria

www.annamariavolpi.com

Pannetone makes a really fine tasting bread pudding. Be sure to butter the pieces as you build
the pudding.

Just a Jeanie