Pannier bags

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DJ, Sep 30, 2004.

  1. DJ

    DJ Guest

    G'day folks!!

    I'm in the market for some good rear touring panniers and intend on buying
    new (unless theres some real good cheap used ones around) but I'm not
    enirely sure which brand to choose.

    I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of the best
    around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also read it can be a
    disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the heat.

    Dueter pannier bags seem to be reasonably priced and have the ortlieb rack
    clips on the back, Haven't heard any comments on these yet but they look
    like a well made pannier(seen some at Clarence Cycles).

    Wilderness equipment have nice Aussie made bags but are more expensive than
    the Ortliebs.

    There are the cheaper bags like Tioga and Gnog.

    I want them for touring and general commuting use but I doubt at this stage
    that I'd be doing anything extreme but possibly something that can take a
    bit of work and is roomy. I kind of favour the Deuter over the Ortleibs due
    to having outside pockets and mesh for drying stuff out on the move(is that
    what it's there for?).

    If any of you guys or girls out there do some touring or have bags that
    you've used regularly or on tour, please give me you recommendations and
    experience with any brand, type, price etc please so that I can make the
    best choice.

    Cheers

    DJ

    Tags:

  2. cameron_s

    cameron_s New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2004
    DJ,

    I have some cheap ($100) red Tioga's which I'm reasonably happy with for commuting but wouldn't say they are great and wouldn't recommend for touring. The clips are a bit of a let down and have required some modification to prevent them escaping mid-trip.

    I'm yet to find someone unhappy with Ortlieb. I don't recommend Clarence St as the purchase point - head down to Active8 (I think) on the cnr of Bathurst and Kent (opp Paddy Pallin) as they are the Australian distributor of Ortlieb. They have most of the range. Possibly cheaper too.

    Have you actually seen WE panniers in a store? I was after them a few months ago and WE sold me they didn't know of any remaining as they were waiting on the release of a new range. WE tends to be excellent quality in back-packs, tents etc so assume panniers would be very good.

    Good luck.

    CS

  3. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    I've been using some cheap no name panniers for a while with an
    elaborate system of ocky straps to prevent them coming off. My question
    is on racks. I've got the rack that was fitted with the child's seat.
    I've seen a number of tha pannier makers also make racks. Do you need
    the rack pannier combo, or will panniers from one maker fit the rack
    from another?

    DaveB

  4. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "cameron_s" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > DJ Wrote:
    >> G'day folks!!
    >>
    >> I'm in the market for some good rear touring panniers and intend on
    >> buying
    >> new (unless theres some real good cheap used ones around) but I'm not
    >> enirely sure which brand to choose.
    >>
    >> I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of the
    >> best
    >> around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also read it can be
    >> disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the heat.
    >>
    >> Dueter pannier bags seem to be reasonably priced and have the ortlieb
    >> rack
    >> clips on the back, Haven't heard any comments on these yet but they
    >> look
    >> like a well made pannier(seen some at Clarence Cycles).
    >>
    >> Wilderness equipment have nice Aussie made bags but are more expensive
    >> than
    >> the Ortliebs.
    >>
    >> There are the cheaper bags like Tioga and Gnog.
    >>
    >> I want them for touring and general commuting use but I doubt at this
    >> stage
    >> that I'd be doing anything extreme but possibly something that can take
    >> bit of work and is roomy. I kind of favour the Deuter over the Ortleibs
    >> due
    >> to having outside pockets and mesh for drying stuff out on the move(is
    >> that
    >> what it's there for?).
    >>
    >> If any of you guys or girls out there do some touring or have bags
    >> that
    >> you've used regularly or on tour, please give me you recommendations
    >> and
    >> experience with any brand, type, price etc please so that I can make
    >> the
    >> best choice.
    >>

    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> DJ

    > DJ,
    >
    > I have some cheap ($100) red Tioga's which I'm reasonably happy with
    > for commuting but wouldn't say they are great and wouldn't recommend
    > for touring. The clips are a bit of a let down and have required some
    > modification to prevent them escaping mid-trip.
    >
    > I'm yet to find someone unhappy with Ortlieb. I don't recommend
    > Clarence St as the purchase point - head down to Active8 (I think) on
    > the cnr of Bathurst and Kent (opp Paddy Pallin) as they are the
    > Australian distributor of Ortlieb. They have most of the range.
    > Possibly cheaper too.

    Hey Thanks Cameron for that tip, I never knew about this store but I'm damn
    sure I will go and check them out.
    I Knew Active8 were the distributors but never knew about their shop.
    Thanks again DJ

    > Have you actually seen WE panniers in a store? I was after them a few
    > months ago and WE sold me they didn't know of any remaining as they
    > were waiting on the release of a new range. WE tends to be excellent
    > quality in back-packs, tents etc so assume panniers would be very
    > good.

    I beleive WE are a Perth based company but have a shop in Katoomba somewhere
    near the railstation (I think).

    Paddy Pallin is supposed to be their main distributor in Australia plus a
    few others. zi thin the Panniers I was looking at on the wen were in the
    high $300's.

    Cheers
    DJ
    > Good luck.
    >
    > CS
    >

    > --
    > cameron_s

  5. adam

    adam Guest

    DJ wrote:
    [snip]
    > I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of the best
    > around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also read it can be a
    > disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the heat.
    >
    > Dueter pannier bags seem to be reasonably priced and have the ortlieb rack
    > clips on the back, Haven't heard any comments on these yet but they look
    > like a well made pannier(seen some at Clarence Cycles).

    [snip]

    The Ortleibs are great, top quality, and the hooks work very well. You just
    yank the bag up and both hooks release - no mucking about with clips.
    For some reason I find this really cool at the end of a long day. I can't
    say
    I noticed anything sweating in the heat. They are totally waterproof, I've
    chucked a bag of ice and beers in them as used them as an esky :)

    Having said that I've also got a pair of cheapish Tioga panniers which work
    just as well as the Ortlieb. They are shower proof, but just buy a whole
    heap
    of different size and colour waterproof stuff-sacks, which makes it a lot
    easier
    to find stuff e.g. dirty vs clean clothes, camera gear etc.

    >I kind of favour the Deuter over the Ortleibs due to having outside pockets
    >and mesh for drying stuff out on the move(is that what it's there for?).

    I guess, I had a tent on the top of the rack held on with straps. I just
    chucked any
    thing damp (usually a towel or a pair of knicks) under the strap to dry out.

    Adam

  6. >>>>> "DJ" == DJ <[email protected]> writes:

    DJ> I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some
    DJ> of the best around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've
    DJ> also read it can be a disadvantage due to things sweating badly
    DJ> in the heat.

    I've been using Ortleib for over a year, can't fault them. Well worth
    the money.

    Not sure if that helped or not but there you go :)
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  7. DaveB wrote:

    > I've been using some cheap no name panniers for a while with an
    > elaborate system of ocky straps to prevent them coming off. My question
    > is on racks. I've got the rack that was fitted with the child's seat.
    > I've seen a number of tha pannier makers also make racks. Do you need
    > the rack pannier combo, or will panniers from one maker fit the rack
    > from another?

    It depends {:)

    I've always liked panniers that have a couple of ute hooks that clip
    onto racks made of round tube (usually <=10mmO.D.) I roll my own
    panniers, but Bunyip are a good brand.

    Other panniers can have proprietary systems.

  8. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:36:54 +0000, DJ wrote:

    > I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of the best
    > around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also read it can be a
    > disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the heat.

    When you're caught touring in the rain *all day*, that night you unpack
    your stuff to find it 100% dry, the extra cost of ortliebs will instantly
    justify itself to you.

    I don't know that we've ever had anything 'sweat'. We keep dirty clothes
    in the pannier in a separate plastic bag (small bin liners are good),
    and wet clean clothes get lashed to the top of the rack in a calico bag so
    (hopefully) they dry out.

    Having bought Ortliebs before, I'd buy them again.
    (Their dry-bags are good too)

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])

  9. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    DJ wrote:

    > G'day folks!!
    >
    > I'm in the market for some good rear touring panniers and intend on buying
    > new (unless theres some real good cheap used ones around) but I'm not
    > enirely sure which brand to choose.
    >
    > I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of the best
    > around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also read it can be a
    > disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the heat.
    >
    > Dueter pannier bags seem to be reasonably priced and have the ortlieb rack
    > clips on the back, Haven't heard any comments on these yet but they look
    > like a well made pannier(seen some at Clarence Cycles).
    >
    > Wilderness equipment have nice Aussie made bags but are more expensive than
    > the Ortliebs.
    >
    > There are the cheaper bags like Tioga and Gnog.
    >
    > I want them for touring and general commuting use but I doubt at this stage
    > that I'd be doing anything extreme but possibly something that can take a
    > bit of work and is roomy. I kind of favour the Deuter over the Ortleibs due
    > to having outside pockets and mesh for drying stuff out on the move(is that
    > what it's there for?).
    >
    > If any of you guys or girls out there do some touring or have bags that
    > you've used regularly or on tour, please give me you recommendations and
    > experience with any brand, type, price etc please so that I can make the
    > best choice.
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > DJ

    I have been using Carradice (UK) for some years. Not waterproof but
    garbage bags are cheap.

    A very important points in a pannier is secure fixing, many (including
    my Carradice) have a strap and hook at the bottom. I have seen these
    come loose and that can be a disaster if it goes in the wheel.

    I understand Ortlieb do not have a side pocket, these avery uiseful for
    tools etc, you do not want to unpack your clothes to fix a puncture.

  10. Peter Gordon

    Peter Gordon Guest

    "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > G'day folks!!
    >
    > I'm in the market for some good rear touring panniers and intend
    > on buying new (unless theres some real good cheap used ones
    > around) but I'm not enirely sure which brand to choose.

    I have used WE panniers for over 10 years of commuting and
    touring including some trips of over 2 months duration.
    I have the duck not the nylon fabric.

    I have found them virtually indestructible. The only problem
    is the attachment system to the rack. They can be difficult to
    install on a cold morning when the polythene is cold and can
    bounce off on rough roads. However there is a strap across the
    top so they don't fall onto the road or anything catastrophic.
    MEC used to sell better clips which make them easier to attach
    and prevent them from bouncing off. MEC may still sell these
    clips, I haven't checked.

    Note that my panniers were bought about 1990 and I am not
    familiar with their current design.

    The choice between waterproof and non-waterproof is a bit of
    a religious issue with people adamant that one or the other
    is better. In general, if your main use is commuting where
    you start and finish in a dry location, waterproof is better.
    If your main use is touring where you often need to pack wet gear
    consider non-waterproof.

    I was in a touring club which had brand new WE and Ortleib
    panniers available for short term hire. One English girl
    toured frequently and tried both types. She remarked that
    she was going to buy Ortleibs when she returned to England.

    In the same club, riding the same trips was a guy who owned
    a battered old set of Karrimors and a brand new set of
    Ortliebs. He used the old Karrimors for touring and the
    Ortliebs around town.

    My casual observation of the two of them was that the girl
    carried far more clothes and changed them more frequently.
    The guy sweated far more heavily and carried far more food
    and a liquid fuel stove.

    So ... decide into which category you fit and buy accordingly<g>.

  11. casurina99

    casurina99 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2004
    Check out Bunyip bags. Made in Tassie, deffinitely all Australian. Canvas. Bullet proof for touring.
    About the biggest rear bag you can get. And collapses down to a small size.
    Two outside pockets, rainproof. (Trust me - I tour with them and they dont leak!)
    Cheaper than the ortlieb and about twice as versatile. Simple non breakable attachments. I've never had one bounce off even mountain bike touring. They have secure straps at top to hold them on once they are hooked.

    OK Im a convert. I never even consider others because these are so good. (well i had a brief dalliance with a friends ortliebs but the lack of pockets sucks on tour and in town.)

    AND if your nice the maker in Tassie will customise for you..

    Tom

  12. "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > G'day folks!!
    >
    > I'm in the market for some good rear touring panniers and intend on buying
    > new (unless theres some real good cheap used ones around) but I'm not
    > enirely sure which brand to choose.
    >
    > I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of the best
    > around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also read it can be a
    > disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the heat.
    >
    > Dueter pannier bags seem to be reasonably priced and have the ortlieb rack
    > clips on the back, Haven't heard any comments on these yet but they look
    > like a well made pannier(seen some at Clarence Cycles).
    >
    > Wilderness equipment have nice Aussie made bags but are more expensive

    than
    > the Ortliebs.
    >
    > There are the cheaper bags like Tioga and Gnog.
    >
    > I want them for touring and general commuting use but I doubt at this

    stage
    > that I'd be doing anything extreme but possibly something that can take a
    > bit of work and is roomy. I kind of favour the Deuter over the Ortleibs

    due
    > to having outside pockets and mesh for drying stuff out on the move(is

    that
    > what it's there for?).
    >
    > If any of you guys or girls out there do some touring or have bags that
    > you've used regularly or on tour, please give me you recommendations and
    > experience with any brand, type, price etc please so that I can make the
    > best choice.

    I have used quality canvas panniers for the past 20 years and find them
    excellent - Bunyips (NSW made) and Quipment (a Victorian brand that didn't
    continue long). Canvas is quite waterproof, shown to me many times when bags
    were left out in pouring rain overnight, bike dropped sideways in a river
    ford, or when the bags bounced off and a bottle of Tahbilk port broke,
    turning the pannier into a wine bucket. WE panniers are extremely well made
    and have a good mounting system. Carradice SuperC bags look to be very good
    also.

    Many cycletourists are now using Ortlieb. They are totally waterproof, but I
    am uncertain about the 'damp clothes in hot sun' sweat factor. The rolltop
    single compartment version is cheaper, but they make one with a top flap and
    side mesh pocket, and also make attachable pockets. The Ortlieb mount is one
    of the best features about the bags, and their Classic bags with the QL1
    mount is the better version.

    Recommend you look at:
    www.sjscycles.com and go to their onlne store. This is a truly wonderful
    touring site, and they ship quite promptly. Purchasing this way is a very
    cost effective option. (Dodge flames from LBS!!)

    I've heard reports that the Ortlieb mounts is much more rigid than the
    Deuter version. See:
    http://www.downtheroad.org/Equipment/Bikes/Bicycle_Touring_Panniers.htm for
    a thorough comparison. This couple were touring Latin & South America for 2
    years, giving their gear a good workout

    Ortlieb are getting to be the most popular pannier brand in my touring
    club - Melbourne Bicycle Touring Club, the best cycling club in Victoria,
    probably in Australia www.mbtc.org.au

    Cheers
    Peter
    Cheers
    Peter

  13. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:39:55 +1000, kingsley wrote:

    > On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:36:54 +0000, DJ wrote:
    >
    >> I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of the
    >> best around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also read it can
    >> be a disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the heat.

    > When you're caught touring in the rain *all day*, that night you unpack
    > your stuff to find it 100% dry, the extra cost of ortliebs will instantly
    > justify itself to you.

    PS> We also have their base-model handlebar bags. Generally chuck the
    camera, wallet, sunburn-cream & what-not into these. They get a bit noisy
    if you keep dropping handfuls of change in, but other than that they are
    good. After a few years the map-pouch has gone cloudy and yellow, so
    I'm going to have to get another one.

    I think the upper models have some mesh pockets inside and out. I can
    see that these might be useful, but at the time I couldn't justify the
    extra money.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email protected])
    http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

  14. DJ

    DJ Guest

    "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > G'day folks!!
    >
    > I'm in the market for some good rear touring panniers and intend on buying
    > new (unless theres some real good cheap used ones around) but I'm not
    > enirely sure which brand to choose.
    >
    > I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of the best
    > around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also read it can be a
    > disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the heat.
    >
    > Dueter pannier bags seem to be reasonably priced and have the ortlieb rack
    > clips on the back, Haven't heard any comments on these yet but they look
    > like a well made pannier(seen some at Clarence Cycles).
    >
    > Wilderness equipment have nice Aussie made bags but are more expensive
    > than the Ortliebs.
    >
    > There are the cheaper bags like Tioga and Gnog.
    >
    > I want them for touring and general commuting use but I doubt at this
    > stage that I'd be doing anything extreme but possibly something that can
    > take a bit of work and is roomy. I kind of favour the Deuter over the
    > Ortleibs due to having outside pockets and mesh for drying stuff out on
    > the move(is that what it's there for?).
    >
    > If any of you guys or girls out there do some touring or have bags that
    > you've used regularly or on tour, please give me you recommendations and
    > experience with any brand, type, price etc please so that I can make the
    > best choice.
    >

    > Cheers
    >
    > DJ
    >
    >Thanks all you guys out there for your advice and suggestions, i'm madly
    >clicking and browsing websites for different brands, prices etc.

    I think I might go with the Ortleibs.

    Cheers
    DJ

  15. paul

    paul Guest

    Hello,

    I got a courier bag instead of panniers. It can carry, jeans, jumper,
    shoes, thick parker type thing, oracle dba certification books and a few
    spares. :) Its the largest crumpler one.

    The only negative, is you get very hot and sweaty across your back and
    strap.

    Paul

    DJ wrote:
    > "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> G'day folks!!
    >>
    >> I'm in the market for some good rear touring panniers and intend on
    >> buying new (unless theres some real good cheap used ones around) but
    >> I'm not enirely sure which brand to choose.
    >>
    >> I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of
    >> the best around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also
    >> read it can be a disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the
    >> heat.
    >>
    >> Dueter pannier bags seem to be reasonably priced and have the
    >> ortlieb rack clips on the back, Haven't heard any comments on these
    >> yet but they look like a well made pannier(seen some at Clarence
    >> Cycles).
    >>
    >> Wilderness equipment have nice Aussie made bags but are more
    >> expensive than the Ortliebs.
    >>
    >> There are the cheaper bags like Tioga and Gnog.
    >>
    >> I want them for touring and general commuting use but I doubt at this
    >> stage that I'd be doing anything extreme but possibly something that
    >> can take a bit of work and is roomy. I kind of favour the Deuter
    >> over the Ortleibs due to having outside pockets and mesh for drying
    >> stuff out on the move(is that what it's there for?).
    >>
    >> If any of you guys or girls out there do some touring or have bags
    >> that you've used regularly or on tour, please give me you
    >> recommendations and experience with any brand, type, price etc
    >> please so that I can make the best choice.
    >>

    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> DJ
    >>
    >> Thanks all you guys out there for your advice and suggestions, i'm
    >> madly clicking and browsing websites for different brands, prices
    >> etc.

    > I think I might go with the Ortleibs.
    >
    > Cheers
    > DJ

  16. "DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > G'day folks!!
    >
    > I'm in the market for some good rear touring panniers and intend on buying
    > new (unless theres some real good cheap used ones around) but I'm not
    > enirely sure which brand to choose.
    >
    > I've read up on the Ortleibs though expensive, seem to be some of the best
    > around and being waterproof is a big plus but I've also read it can be a
    > disadvantage due to things sweating badly in the heat.
    >
    > Dueter pannier bags seem to be reasonably priced and have the ortlieb rack
    > clips on the back, Haven't heard any comments on these yet but they look
    > like a well made pannier(seen some at Clarence Cycles).
    >
    > Wilderness equipment have nice Aussie made bags but are more expensive

    than
    > the Ortliebs.
    >
    > There are the cheaper bags like Tioga and Gnog.
    >
    > I want them for touring and general commuting use but I doubt at this

    stage
    > that I'd be doing anything extreme but possibly something that can take a
    > bit of work and is roomy. I kind of favour the Deuter over the Ortleibs

    due
    > to having outside pockets and mesh for drying stuff out on the move(is

    that
    > what it's there for?).
    >
    > If any of you guys or girls out there do some touring or have bags that
    > you've used regularly or on tour, please give me you recommendations and
    > experience with any brand, type, price etc please so that I can make the
    > best choice.
    >

    > Cheers

    DJ

    On our 23 month, 19,000 km ride around Australia we had a set of the Tioga
    each and I also had a set of Ortlieb's. The Tioga were not waterproof and
    the plastic coated cardboard soon went out of shape, but that being said,
    they performed admirably and we still have them and use them. The Ortlieb's
    were waterproof and also took their fair share of a pasting on the trip as
    well.
    We would definitely recommend the Ortlieb's (worth every cent) and would
    also give the Tioga's a fair wrap as well. Bear in mind that we used some
    waterproofing in a can to try and waterproof the Tioga's about halfway round
    and it sure helped.
    Hope this helps with your quest.

    regards

    Andrew & Joanne

    http:/www.where2pedalto.gr8m8s.net

  17. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Dont know Bunyip Panniers. Can you please give a link or an idea of who sells them. Sound ok and I am assuming that being local made, and local currency they would be reasonable price.