Pannier for laptop

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by James Bentall, May 5, 2003.

  1. Hi

    My local bike shop guy showed me a catalog about six months ago with (from what my hazy memory can
    remember) what looked like something similar to a flight case which could be strapped on like a
    pannier to a bike and would give a laptop reasonable protection whilst cycling.

    I wasn't interested at the time, but am now - and he's lost the catalog and can't remember where he
    saw it. He thinks it might have been Oxford, but can't find it anywhere.

    Has anyone got any idea where I could obtain such a thing or similar from - has anyone used one of
    these things or do people think they might just be a waste of time as a computer laptop would get
    knackered anyway?

    Thanks for any help,

    James
    --
    James Bentall [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Sabineuk

    Sabineuk Guest

    James Bentall [email protected] said:

    >Has anyone got any idea where I could obtain such a thing or similar from - has anyone used one of
    >these things or do people think they might just be a waste of time as a computer laptop would get
    >knackered anyway?

    Not sure about specific laptop carriers, but both Ortlieb and Altura do briefcase panniers which
    look suitably business-like and are the right shape for carrying a laptop.

    Having said that, I've never felt the need for a briefcase pannier - I've always just chucked
    laptops in a normal pannier (I do try to cushion it a bit with papers or clothes) and have never had
    any problems carting them around London fairly regularly.

    I might be a bit less blase if I had paid for the laptop myself or was doing it on a daily
    basis mind you.

    John

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    James Bentall wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > My local bike shop guy showed me a catalog about six months ago with (from what my hazy memory can
    > remember) what looked like something similar to a flight case which could be strapped on like a
    > pannier to a bike and would give a laptop reasonable protection whilst cycling.
    >
    > I wasn't interested at the time, but am now - and he's lost the catalog and can't remember where
    > he saw it. He thinks it might have been Oxford, but can't find it anywhere.
    >
    > Has anyone got any idea where I could obtain such a thing or similar from - has anyone used one of
    > these things or do people think they might just be a waste of time as a computer laptop would get
    > knackered anyway?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > James

    I just use a normal laptop bag .. Either around my shoulders, with the laptop on my back, or in a
    throw-over pannier .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1636 Seti work units in 12493 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  4. Tim S

    Tim S Guest

    "SabineUK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > James Bentall [email protected] said:
    >
    > >Has anyone got any idea where I could obtain such a thing or similar from - has anyone used one
    > >of these things or do people think they might just be a waste of time as a computer laptop would
    > >get knackered anyway?
    >
    > Not sure about specific laptop carriers, but both Ortlieb and Altura do briefcase panniers which
    > look suitably business-like and are the right shape for carrying a laptop.
    >
    > Having said that, I've never felt the need for a briefcase pannier - I've always just chucked
    > laptops in a normal pannier (I do try to cushion it a bit with papers or clothes) and have never
    > had any problems carting them around London fairly regularly.
    >
    > I might be a bit less blase if I had paid for the laptop myself or was doing it on a daily basis
    > mind you.
    >
    > John

    I can 2nd that, I've got a beat-up old 486 (same age as the Ralaigh Amazon I carry it on) that I
    take into work and use for collage courses in the quiet nights (ahem) but I just drop it into my
    el-cheapo argos pannier on top of the work gear and go - commute is mostly path & road though I do
    drop down a set of 5 steps daily. Saying that I haven't (you wait, I will now) had a smash or crash
    while carrying it, but from having dropped the laptop a number of times in other circumstances, it
    still works (smashed off part of the casing dropping it from 2 feet).

    If it was new (on my shoping list) I'd take more care / take the cage in, but for a £40 486,
    who cares.

    Tim S (lurk mode re-activated)

  5. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    [email protected] (SabineUK) wrote in news:[email protected]
    m21.aol.com:

    > Not sure about specific laptop carriers, but both Ortlieb and Altura do briefcase panniers which
    > look suitably business-like and are the right shape for carrying a laptop.

    I have an Ortlieb pannier-briefcase type thing (waterproof as well) which I regularly take my
    lap-top to and from work in. No problems so far (1 year with current laptop - 2 years with
    previous).

    Ortlieb do sell a padded bag to put the laptop in first, but I didn't buy one.

    Toby

    --
    Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

  6. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Toby Barrett
    <[email protected]> writes
    >[email protected] (SabineUK) wrote in news:[email protected]
    >m21.aol.com:
    >
    >> Not sure about specific laptop carriers, but both Ortlieb and Altura do briefcase panniers which
    >> look suitably business-like and are the right shape for carrying a laptop.
    >
    >I have an Ortlieb pannier-briefcase type thing (waterproof as well) which I regularly take my
    >lap-top to and from work in. No problems so far (1 year with current laptop - 2 years with
    >previous).
    >
    >Ortlieb do sell a padded bag to put the laptop in first, but I didn't buy one.
    I have similar type thing from Carradice. I don't carry a laptop, but it would be plenty big enough
    and you could easily insert some extra padding in the bag if you felt the need.

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  7. Daniel Auger

    Daniel Auger Guest

    On Tue, 6 May 2003, chris French wrote:

    > I have similar type thing from Carradice. I don't carry a laptop, but it would be plenty big
    > enough and you could easily insert some extra padding in the bag if you felt the need.

    I have one of Carradice's "bike bureau" things (which also makes a remarkably convenient briefcase
    and flight bag). They don't have a hard shell, so might not be what the OP is after, but they're
    certainly worth consideration.

    --
    Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

  8. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Daniel Auger
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Tue, 6 May 2003, chris French wrote:
    >
    >> I have similar type thing from Carradice. I don't carry a laptop, but it would be plenty big
    >> enough and you could easily insert some extra padding in the bag if you felt the need.
    >
    >I have one of Carradice's "bike bureau" things (which also makes a remarkably convenient briefcase
    >and flight bag).

    Yep, that's what I was on about.

    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  9. In article <[email protected]>, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In message <[email protected]>, Daniel Auger
    > <[email protected]> writes
    > >On Tue, 6 May 2003, chris French wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have similar type thing from Carradice. I don't carry a laptop, but it would be plenty big
    > >> enough and you could easily insert some extra padding in the bag if you felt the need.
    > >
    > >I have one of Carradice's "bike bureau" things (which also makes a remarkably convenient
    > >briefcase and flight bag).
    >
    > Yep, that's what I was on about.

    Sounds ideal... has anyone got any idea where I could get one from?

    Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions,

    James
    --
    James Bentall [email protected]

  10. Daniel Auger

    Daniel Auger Guest

    On Wed, 7 May 2003, James Bentall wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > In message <[email protected]>, Daniel Auger
    > > <[email protected]> writes

    > > >I have one of Carradice's "bike bureau" things (which also makes a remarkably convenient
    > > >briefcase and flight bag).
    > >
    > > Yep, that's what I was on about.
    >
    > Sounds ideal... has anyone got any idea where I could get one from?

    I got mine from Drake's in Cambridge, but that will only help you if you're nearby. You can order
    one from the Carradice website - http://www.carradice.co.uk/

    --
    Daniel Auger - [email protected] (Please remove Granta to get a valid address.)

  11. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, James Bentall <[email protected]> writes
    >> In message <[email protected]>, Daniel Auger
    >> <[email protected]> writes

    >> >I have one of Carradice's "bike bureau" things (which also makes a remarkably convenient
    >> >briefcase and flight bag).
    >
    >Sounds ideal... has anyone got any idea where I could get one from?

    Any bike shop that sells Carradice stuff - they could order it if they don't have it in stock. It
    comes in two varieties a Cotton Duck and Cordura one, the Cotton duck one was a little more
    expensive.

    If you are looking for mail order then Spa Cycles in Harrogate are one of the cheapest places for
    Carradice (as with many things). I bought a cotton duck one from them for about GBP45, it's over GBP
    50 from Carradice direct.

    Web:

    <http://www.spacycles.com/>

    Though it was limited in content when I last looked.

    Or just give them a buzz

    01423 887003
    --
    Chris French, Leeds