pannier help needed!

TrekCyclerChic

Dec 13, 2004
Ok, so I've been looking at a gazillion different panniers and such, and the ranges of quality, rpice, size, material, functionality (i think that's a real word) is amazing.

The duration of the ride that i will need panniers for is about 6 weeks, (end july to first week of september) biking from Milwaukee to Key West. So mostly ligter, warm weather gear... need to bring tent, sleeping bag, clothing, food. We will most likely have a regular vehicle replace the RV for this portion to, for just in case items.

should I get both front and back, or go for larger rear packs? How much size do I really need for my stuff? (another rider is bringing trailer which will hold some food and "shared" equiptment)

any oppinions are greatly appreciated,a s I am completely overwhelmed by all the infomation and variety of panniers. however better a lot to choose from than just a few.

thanks

D

TrekCyclerChic said:
Ok, so I've been looking at a gazillion different panniers and such, and the ranges of quality, rpice, size, material, functionality (i think that's a real word) is amazing.

The duration of the ride that i will need panniers for is about 6 weeks, (end july to first week of september) biking from Milwaukee to Key West. So mostly ligter, warm weather gear... need to bring tent, sleeping bag, clothing, food. We will most likely have a regular vehicle replace the RV for this portion to, for just in case items.

should I get both front and back, or go for larger rear packs? How much size do I really need for my stuff? (another rider is bringing trailer which will hold some food and "shared" equiptment)

any oppinions are greatly appreciated,a s I am completely overwhelmed by all the infomation and variety of panniers. however better a lot to choose from than just a few.

thanks

D
I think having front and rear panniers really helps with the "balance" of your bike, especially on fast descends. I would also recommend going "smaller" rather than "larger", especially with the handlebar bag. "Low-riders" on the front also help steady your bike, as does packing heavier items in the bottom of your bags.
In case you missed it, one more great manufacturer to check out is <www.panniers.com>

byfred

Fred's on to something.... You should balance the load, don't carry all your weight on the back or you'll find the bike is squirrelly, especially at speed.

It's easy to get caught up in the marketing confusion, and who wouldn't want the world's most durable (and expensive) components. But unless you're planning on several years cycling around the globe, you don't have to go top-of-the-line. My wife and I went on a 6-week tour over the Rockies, each with a basic set of panniers: me with an old REI set (cost $40 about 10 years ago, if I remember right), and she with a recent set from Nashbar (on sale for $45). They're both well-made and survived just fine, in fact they probably have 5 or 6 more summers of use. These are just examples, there are probably lots of similar choices.

I'd want something more rugged in Patagonia or Siberia, but you'll do fine with basic panniers. I wouldn't worry much about waterproof, since any smart packer will put everything in plastic bags anyway. One thing I'd check for is that the front set has a rigid internal frame (light plastic is fine). This keeps the load firmly in place and prevents shifting, which would be a problem on the steering wheel...

Racks are important, too. Be sure you have good quality, and they attach firmly. They're much more important than the panniers themselves, as far as making it thousands of miles safely with a load.

Happy cycling, sounds like a great trip!

-- Mark

It's funny, after speaking with a range of people using a range of panniers etc, I have never come across anybody (that I can remember anyway) who hated, or absolutely was in love with a particular brand or make of pannier. Many people have strong preferences as to the setup they use however (eg trailer, rear pannier only, front/rear pannier etc etc).

I'm in the "simple" camp - the less things the better. So i prefer just my rear panniers OR a trailer, and a SMALL handlebar bag.

I also take with me a small, lightweight backpack that I use for quick runs to the shops, or on my last day or two for the obligatory Japanese souveniers. I also strap my sleeping mat over the top of my rack/panniers.

As for choosing rear panniers, if at all possible, I would HIGHLY recommend that you try fully loading them (volume-wise) and ride around before buying - I find that on my bike, with my panniers, if I'm not careful I can kick my panniers off with my heels, and this has led to one being run over by a car. I think some panniers are shaped to give your heels more clearance, my next panniers (although I'm pretty much a trailer convert these days) will be some of this type. Just something to keep in mind, especially if you're on a smallish frame bike (I think a dedicated touring bike rather than a MTB should be ok).

I've done a week long bike tour on a MTB with only rear panniers and a handlebar bag. Carried tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, food, etc. The bike was certainly heavy on the back but I could ride up to 40 mph without any poor handling. I had fairly large, but not huge, rear panniers (explorer by REI) and strapped my bag and pad on top of the rack. I did have shared equipment with a riding partner. If not I couldn't have carried it all myself.

I also have a Randonee touring bike with front and rear racks and panniers by Arkel Designs. These panniers are certainly much nicer but I paid $500 for the set of 4. I can carry everything on my bike myself now (wow is it heavy!). I'll be doing my first tour on that mike end of May. My shakedown rides tell me it's going to work great, the extra two panniers make it a lot easier to organize my gear.

I know people with trailers and they all love them. I've never tried one.

Have fun on the tour, it sounds like a blast! Now I need to get you to convince my wife that this is a blast so she'll do it with me!

rcrampton said:
Have fun on the tour, it sounds like a blast! Now I need to get you to convince my wife that this is a blast so she'll do it with me!
well I'd be happy to share my experiences... I think everyone should do this kind of stuff, of course if they did, I'd be normal. lol. good luck on your tour!

oh, and I ended up with Deuter Uni for the front and Deuter Rack pack 2 for the back. I am excited and i think they will be great on the trip.

Diana