Pannier Racks - Non eyelet variety - any good?

Bill the Cat

Guest
I saw the question asked in an earlier thread and thought that it was worth
another shot as there were no responses but it was pretty late in the
thread.

I have a chromoly frame on my going to work (clunker) but it does not have
eyelets for racks and I do not see myself geting new drop outs welded in any
time soon.

The problem is this: beer is cheaper by the carton. "???" I hear you ask -
possibly even upside down in Spanish.

I figure if I invest in some panniers and a rack, I can live that crazy
dream of riding down to the shops and back with four fine 6 packs evenly
distributed in panniers.

BUT, my frame has no eyelets and I notice companies like Old Man Mountain in
the States and Tubus have adapters for QR skewers.

Has anyone heard anything about these good or bad?

Whilst on this subject, and I am sure that it has been done to death in the
past, but times change - is there much of a difference between say Ortlieb
and say Arkels? I am really after something that I can use all the time
(for commuting and beer buying :)) and take away on the occasional tour as
well. I cover quite a bit of ground each week so durability and water
proofing is a must.

Thanks in advance,

BtC

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:11:46 GMT
Bill the Cat <[email protected]> wrote:

> Whilst on this subject, and I am sure that it has been done to death in the
> past, but times change - is there much of a difference between say Ortlieb
> and say Arkels? I am really after something that I can use all the time
> (for commuting and beer buying :)) and take away on the occasional tour as
> well. I cover quite a bit of ground each week so durability and water
> proofing is a must.

Arkels tend towards more pockets, so are better for the type who likes
to organise things that way. They also have more models to choose
from. I use the commuter and the Utility basket, I suspect the
Utility basket will be better for beer. (But don't strain any pannier
with a slab...)

Arkels are water resistant rather than waterproof, if you want to do
the downpour thing without having to use a separate raincover then the
Ortlieb waterproof rollers are probably the way to go. I've had my
Arkels do OK in the normal Sydney drizzle on a commute, but had stuff
damp (but not wet) in 20 mins or so of heavy rain.

They both have nice quick releases (the new Arkel system is much nicer
than the old) and are both solid and well made.

I thought the Arkels held slightly more, and generally preferred the
looks and layout to the Ortleibs but it's very much a personal thing.

If you get Arkels, greenspeed.com.au have excellent customer service.

Zebee

Bill the Cat wrote:
> I have a chromoly frame on my going to work (clunker) but it does not have
> eyelets for racks and I do not see myself geting new drop outs welded in any
> time soon.

It might be time to downgrade your frame! Many of the cheapest,
nastiest frames have rack lugs. ;-)

> The problem is this: beer is cheaper by the carton. "???" I hear you ask -
> possibly even upside down in Spanish.
>
> I figure if I invest in some panniers and a rack, I can live that crazy
> dream of riding down to the shops and back with four fine 6 packs evenly
> distributed in panniers.
>
> BUT, my frame has no eyelets and I notice companies like Old Man Mountain in
> the States and Tubus have adapters for QR skewers.
>
> Has anyone heard anything about these good or bad?

Never heard of them, but they seem like a usable option. Although if
if I was going to use the rear axle as a rack mounting point I'd put a
solid axle (i.e. non-quick-release) on the rear wheel, but then I *am*
a contrary *******.

BTH

Bill the Cat wrote:

> I have a chromoly frame on my going to work (clunker) but it does not have
> eyelets for racks and I do not see myself geting new drop outs welded in any
> time soon.

P clamps?. Four on the seat stay. Metal ones.

> The problem is this: beer is cheaper by the carton. "???" I hear you ask -
> possibly even upside down in Spanish.

Then buy it by the carton and just strap it on top, or a balancing pair
on each side.

> I figure if I invest in some panniers and a rack, I can live that crazy
> dream of riding down to the shops and back with four fine 6 packs evenly
> distributed in panniers.
>
> BUT, my frame has no eyelets and I notice companies like Old Man Mountain in
> the States and Tubus have adapters for QR skewers.
>
> Has anyone heard anything about these good or bad?
>
> Whilst on this subject, and I am sure that it has been done to death in the
> past, but times change - is there much of a difference between say Ortlieb
> and say Arkels?

Noel Pearson was having something made in the karromor style, but I can
not remember the brand name. One nice big central pocket and a rear one
as well.

Bill the Cat wrote:

> I saw the question asked in an earlier thread and thought that it was
> worth another shot as there were no responses but it was pretty late
> in the thread.
>
> I have a chromoly frame on my going to work (clunker) but it does not
> have eyelets for racks and I do not see myself geting new drop outs
> welded in any time soon.
>
> The problem is this: beer is cheaper by the carton. "???" I hear you
> ask - possibly even upside down in Spanish.
>
> I figure if I invest in some panniers and a rack, I can live that
> crazy dream of riding down to the shops and back with four fine 6
> packs evenly distributed in panniers.
>
> BUT, my frame has no eyelets and I notice companies like Old Man
> Mountain in the States and Tubus have adapters for QR skewers.
>
> Has anyone heard anything about these good or bad?
>
> Whilst on this subject, and I am sure that it has been done to death
> in the past, but times change - is there much of a difference between
> say Ortlieb and say Arkels? I am really after something that I can
> use all the time (for commuting and beer buying :)) and take away on
> the occasional tour as well. I cover quite a bit of ground each week
> so durability and water proofing is a must.

If carrying liquid in glass bottles, pay attention to the packing.
Last year as a proof of concept, I rode from Glebe to Kemenys of Bondi
and returned with a mixed dozen of wine (Surly Longhaul Trucker, large
Ortlieb panniers, 6 bots each side). When I got home, one of the bottles
had fractured at the base :-((. As testimony to the waterproofing of the
Ortliebs, there was no evidence of breakage until I opened the pannier.

I have since made a couple more trips with better attention to the
padding inside the panniers, and both dozens arrived intact.

--
beerwolf

beerwolf wrote:
>><snipped>

> If carrying liquid in glass bottles, pay attention to the packing.
> Last year as a proof of concept, I rode from Glebe to Kemenys of Bondi
> and returned with a mixed dozen of wine (Surly Longhaul Trucker, large
> Ortlieb panniers, 6 bots each side). When I got home, one of the bottles
> had fractured at the base :-((. As testimony to the waterproofing of the
> Ortliebs, there was no evidence of breakage until I opened the pannier.
>
> I have since made a couple more trips with better attention to the
> padding inside the panniers, and both dozens arrived intact.

Of course if you had an Xtracycle or(Surly Big Dummy) you could just
leave the bottles in the carton like the winemaker intended ;-)

Pete(haven't broken a bottle yet).B