Pannier Shopping Question for UK Cyclists

lugger

Jun 15, 2005
Could tourer cyclists in UK could help me with some shopping inquiries? Over here in US, I cannot find Agu panniers or Altura panniers, but I like their designs. I am especially interested in Agu Yamaska 450 and Altura Arran 50. I have never heard of these brands before, but I see them for sale on a lot of UK websites. Are these considered popular and reputable brands by discerning bicycle tourers?
Do they have:
(1) Good thick water repellent fabrics with strong seams?
(2) Durable stiffeners to give them structure?
(3) Secure mounting systems?
(4) I found that the Agu is about 5lbs. How much does the Altura weigh?

Many online store in UK sell Agu and Altura brands. I found some that seem to ship internationally:
(1) www.bikedock.com
(2) www.parker-international.co.uk
(3) www.cyclestore.co.uk
(4) www.the-bikeshed.com

Please advise me of your experience, or what you have heard, of these stores and pannier brands. Also, please let me know if you have other suggestions for panniers and online shopping from good UK stores.

lugger said:
Could tourer cyclists in UK could help me with some shopping inquiries?

Hi there,

Altura is everywhere over here, i've never had a problem with the rain jackets and most cyclists seem to own something by Altura. I've got two Altura panniers (that have been lent to me) which have seen the back of beyond and are about to go even further. So i'd say you're ok with Altura.

Another great website is www.bikeplus.co.uk. This store actually has a team who'll gladly help you with questions etc. You don't get that we don't give a damn feel that you get with some major chains!