Pant Question

SniffinVinyl

Guest
I am getting back to my MTB after a few years away from the sport. Old
shorts have expired elastics, so I need new ones.

Looking thru bike store, they have all these baggy shorts with spandex inner
liners. They said they also have the regular spandex pants but they have
kind of gone out of style.

This makes no sense to me, I have ridden before with shorts over my regular
riding pants and it has driven my crazy. To me, spandex riding pants seem to
make the most sense.

Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going to the
baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets, I have a
camelback).

Thanks,

Sniffinvinyl
----------------
Remain sane, cycle your brains out . . .

SniffinVinyl wrote:
> I am getting back to my MTB after a few years away from the sport. Old
> shorts have expired elastics, so I need new ones.
>
> Looking thru bike store, they have all these baggy shorts with
> spandex inner liners. They said they also have the regular spandex
> pants but they have kind of gone out of style.
>
> This makes no sense to me, I have ridden before with shorts over my
> regular riding pants and it has driven my crazy. To me, spandex
> riding pants seem to make the most sense.
>
> Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going
> to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets,
> I have a camelback).
>
> Thanks,
>

> Sniffinvinyl
> ----------------
> Remain sane, cycle your brains out . . .

It's a matter of taste, comfort, and being "in". I have both the fox
"freeride" shorts and voler spandex "roadie" shorts. I find that on the
long hauls, the freeride shorts tend to irritate my legs from the constant
rubbing (no, I don't and will not shave my hairy legs). The standard
spandex are much more comfortable on lengthy rides although I am finding
that I now have to use bib shorts because they keep falling down.. The
spandex might also be cooler when it's hot out since they will breathe out
the sweat.

o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

> Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going
> to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets,
> I have a camelback).

serveral.

if you snag lycra on a twig and it rips, well... you have have an exposure
situation. Baggies are more abrasion resistant, plus you have the liner
underneath. The nylon fabric of baggies will also slide a little more, less
likely to snag and tear, unless you catch a pocket or something.

Penny

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> SniffinVinyl wrote:
> > I am getting back to my MTB after a few years away from the sport. Old
> > shorts have expired elastics, so I need new ones.
> >
> > Looking thru bike store, they have all these baggy shorts with
> > spandex inner liners. They said they also have the regular spandex
> > pants but they have kind of gone out of style.
> >
> > This makes no sense to me, I have ridden before with shorts over my
> > regular riding pants and it has driven my crazy. To me, spandex
> > riding pants seem to make the most sense.
> >
> > Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going
> > to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets,
> > I have a camelback).

<snip>.

> It's a matter of taste, comfort, and being "in". I have both the fox
> "freeride" shorts and voler spandex "roadie" shorts. I find that on the
> long hauls, the freeride shorts tend to irritate my legs from the constant
> rubbing (no, I don't and will not shave my hairy legs). The standard
> spandex are much more comfortable on lengthy rides although I am finding
> that I now have to use bib shorts because they keep falling down.. The
> spandex might also be cooler when it's hot out since they will breathe out
> the sweat.

Thanks, being an old fart at 46, I could care less about being 'in'. The
rubbing of the baggy short is the very thing I would be concerned about. I
think I'm staying with the roadie variety.

Sniffinvinyl
----------------
Remain sane, cycle your brains out . . .

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going
> > to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets,
> > I have a camelback).
> >

> serveral.
>
> if you snag lycra on a twig and it rips, well... you have have an exposure
> situation. Baggies are more abrasion resistant, plus you have the liner
> underneath. The nylon fabric of baggies will also slide a little more,

less
> likely to snag and tear, unless you catch a pocket or something.
>
> Penny

Good point, I have had a couple of rips before. Should have thought of that.

Thanks

Sniffinvinyl
----------------

Penny S wrote:
>>Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going
>>to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets,
>>I have a camelback).
>>

> serveral.
>
> if you snag lycra on a twig and it rips, well... you have have an exposure
> situation. Baggies are more abrasion resistant, plus you have the liner
> underneath. The nylon fabric of baggies will also slide a little more, less
> likely to snag and tear, unless you catch a pocket or something.
>
> Penny

plus having pockets can be handy as well, not only for bringing things
along but also great for picking up bits of bike and gel wrappers that
some folks leave behind.

Penny S wrote:
>> Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going
>> to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets,
>> I have a camelback).
>>

> serveral.
>
> if you snag lycra on a twig and it rips, well... you have have an
> exposure situation. Baggies are more abrasion resistant, plus you
> have the liner underneath. The nylon fabric of baggies will also
> slide a little more, less likely to snag and tear, unless you catch a
> pocket or something.
>
> Penny

I'm not so sure about that. I snagged my Lycra pretty bad on twig last
weekend. Results were not noticeable on the shorts but a 4 inch log scar is
visible on my hip.
Roadie shorts are kindof made to not rip real easy and also to keep you from
getting real bad road rash when sliding on asphalt.

--
Perre

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Penny S wrote:
>>> Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for
>>> going to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little
>>> pockets, I have a camelback).
>>>

>> serveral.
>>
>> if you snag lycra on a twig and it rips, well... you have have an
>> exposure situation. Baggies are more abrasion resistant, plus you
>> have the liner underneath. The nylon fabric of baggies will also
>> slide a little more, less likely to snag and tear, unless you catch a
>> pocket or something.
>>
>> Penny

> I'm not so sure about that. I snagged my Lycra pretty bad on twig last
> weekend. Results were not noticeable on the shorts but a 4 inch log
> scar is visible on my hip.
> Roadie shorts are kindof made to not rip real easy and also to keep
> you from getting real bad road rash when sliding on asphalt.

OK, so I don't know what I"m talking about. I can live with that.

Penny

Penny S wrote:
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
>>>>
>>> serveral.
>>>
>>> if you snag lycra on a twig and it rips, well... you have have an
>>> exposure situation. Baggies are more abrasion resistant, plus you
>>> have the liner underneath. The nylon fabric of baggies will also
>>> slide a little more, less likely to snag and tear, unless you catch
>>> a pocket or something.
>>>
>>> Penny

>> I'm not so sure about that. I snagged my Lycra pretty bad on twig
>> last weekend. Results were not noticeable on the shorts but a 4 inch
>> log scar is visible on my hip.
>> Roadie shorts are kindof made to not rip real easy and also to keep
>> you from getting real bad road rash when sliding on asphalt.

> OK, so I don't know what I"m talking about. I can live with that.
>
> Penny

Hey don't take offense now ;) We're not talking nylon stockings you know.
Serioulsy. I've got three pair of Lycra shorts that I've treated pretty bad
on both asphalt and offroad. None have the slightest wear or tear. The only
telltale signs on them is that they've been through the washer hundreds of
times maybe.

--
Perre

Per Elmsäter wrote:
> Penny S wrote:
>> Per Elmsäter wrote:

>>> I'm not so sure about that. I snagged my Lycra pretty bad on twig
>>> last weekend. Results were not noticeable on the shorts but a 4 inch
>>> log scar is visible on my hip.
>>> Roadie shorts are kindof made to not rip real easy and also to keep
>>> you from getting real bad road rash when sliding on asphalt.

>> OK, so I don't know what I"m talking about. I can live with that.
>>
>> Penny

> Hey don't take offense now ;) We're not talking nylon stockings you
> know. Serioulsy. I've got three pair of Lycra shorts that I've
> treated pretty bad on both asphalt and offroad. None have the
> slightest wear or tear. The only telltale signs on them is that
> they've been through the washer hundreds of times maybe.

not offended. I have three different weights of lycra shorts: heavy duty,
made of 9 ounce, the same stuff pro foot ball leggins are made of, that are
extremely tought. I have a one lighter pair, that haven't torn yet, and
then I have a super light wicking lycra suppllex pair that are awesome
because they are so cool to wear when it's really hot.. but they seem to
snag on everything.

as for pantyhose... I wouldn't know what you are talking about, haven't
owned any for years.

Penny

SniffinVinyl <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am getting back to my MTB after a few years away from the sport. Old
> shorts have expired elastics, so I need new ones.
>
> Looking thru bike store, they have all these baggy shorts with
> spandex inner liners. They said they also have the regular spandex
> pants but they have kind of gone out of style.
>
> This makes no sense to me, I have ridden before with shorts over my
> regular riding pants and it has driven my crazy. To me, spandex
> riding pants seem to make the most sense.
>
> Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going
> to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets,
> I have a camelback).
>
> Thanks,
>

> Sniffinvinyl
> ----------------
> Remain sane, cycle your brains out . . .

I've got two pairs of baggies and a half dozen "regular" sets of shorts.
I've tried like hell to like the baggies, but they remain in the bottom of
the drawer. I find them to be hotter, and snag the seat easier when
shifting weight back and force over the saddle. With pockets on jersey and
camelback, I don't feel the need to have them on my pants either.

I've got two pairs of old Pearl Izumi shorts I bought 5-6 years ago that
won't quit. The great part about them is that they are a blend of
poly-cotton with about 10% spandex. They look and wear just like normal
material, but they're much softer and breath better. They wick pretty well,
but do show the occasional sweat mark in humid weather. I think they may
snag a bit easier than regular spandex, but they otherwisw perform just the
same. Unfortunately they don't appear to have caught on. I haven't been
able to find them since.

True, lycra isn't the look for everyone. But this is a mountain bike group.
Fashion is for roadies and "Queer Eye" afficionados.

Tom (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Per Elmsäter wrote:
> > Penny S wrote:

> >> OK, so I don't know what I"m talking about. I can live with that.
> >>
> >> Penny

> > Hey don't take offense now ;) We're not talking nylon stockings you
> > know. Serioulsy. I've got three pair of Lycra shorts that I've
> > treated pretty bad on both asphalt and offroad. None have the
> > slightest wear or tear. The only telltale signs on them is that
> > they've been through the washer hundreds of times maybe.

> not offended. I have three different weights of lycra shorts: heavy duty,
> made of 9 ounce, the same stuff pro foot ball leggins are made of, that

are
> extremely tought. I have a one lighter pair, that haven't torn yet, and
> then I have a super light wicking lycra suppllex pair that are awesome
> because they are so cool to wear when it's really hot.. but they seem to
> snag on everything.

I would use nothing other than lycra/spandex shorts. I don't want baggy
shorts snagging on my saddle.

> as for pantyhose... I wouldn't know what you are talking about, haven't
> owned any for years.

I hear ya. I have no clue how to tie a tie.

"SniffinVinyl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > SniffinVinyl wrote:
> > > I am getting back to my MTB after a few years away from the sport. Old
> > > shorts have expired elastics, so I need new ones.
> > >
> > > Looking thru bike store, they have all these baggy shorts with
> > > spandex inner liners. They said they also have the regular spandex
> > > pants but they have kind of gone out of style.
> > >
> > > This makes no sense to me, I have ridden before with shorts over my
> > > regular riding pants and it has driven my crazy. To me, spandex
> > > riding pants seem to make the most sense.
> > >
> > > Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going
> > > to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets,
> > > I have a camelback).
> > >

> <snip>.
> >
> > It's a matter of taste, comfort, and being "in". I have both the fox
> > "freeride" shorts and voler spandex "roadie" shorts. I find that on the
> > long hauls, the freeride shorts tend to irritate my legs from the

constant
> > rubbing (no, I don't and will not shave my hairy legs). The standard
> > spandex are much more comfortable on lengthy rides although I am finding
> > that I now have to use bib shorts because they keep falling down.. The
> > spandex might also be cooler when it's hot out since they will breathe

out
> > the sweat.
> >

> Thanks, being an old fart at 46, I could care less about being 'in'. The
> rubbing of the baggy short is the very thing I would be concerned about. I
> think I'm staying with the roadie variety.

Good choice.

mojo deluxe wrote:
> I would use nothing other than lycra/spandex shorts. I don't want
> baggy shorts snagging on my saddle.

well now, I have my first pair of baggies... some Cannondales with a built
in liner that Tuffgrrl gave me, and I really like them. They aren't too
baggy, just right. And they don't have elastic at the waist, or open
pockets, I think thats where you'd get into trouble with the snags.

penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> mojo deluxe wrote:
> > I would use nothing other than lycra/spandex shorts. I don't want
> > baggy shorts snagging on my saddle.

> well now, I have my first pair of baggies... some Cannondales with a built
> in liner that Tuffgrrl gave me, and I really like them. They aren't too
> baggy, just right. And they don't have elastic at the waist, or open
> pockets, I think thats where you'd get into trouble with the snags.

I will be trying my first pair of bib shorts real soon. I have to admit,
that elastic at the waist can get annoying.

kantspel wrote:

> plus having pockets can be handy as well, not only for bringing things
> along but also great for picking up bits of bike and gel wrappers that
> some folks leave behind.

And let's not forgot spent condoms and freshly ejected tampons... or
maybe that's just in L.A.
--
Slacker

SniffinVinyl wrote:
> I am getting back to my MTB after a few years away from the sport. Old
> shorts have expired elastics, so I need new ones.
>
> Looking thru bike store, they have all these baggy shorts with spandex inner
> liners. They said they also have the regular spandex pants but they have
> kind of gone out of style.
>
> This makes no sense to me, I have ridden before with shorts over my regular
> riding pants and it has driven my crazy. To me, spandex riding pants seem to
> make the most sense.
>
> Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for going to the
> baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little pockets, I have a
> camelback).

The only reason I wear them is so I can put my small camera in a pocket.
It makes it much more available for candid shots rather than having to get
setup for a shot. I can even grab it and snap shots while riding.

Greg

G.T. wrote:
> SniffinVinyl wrote:
>> Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for
>> going to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little
>> pockets, I have a camelback).
>>

> The only reason I wear them is so I can put my small camera in a
> pocket. It makes it much more available for candid shots rather than
> having to get setup for a shot. I can even grab it and snap shots
> while riding.
>
> Greg

I was thinking about that... I've got a pocket on the outside of mine that
is the perfect size.. do you keep it in any sort of padded case or just
stick in in the pocket?
I was checking out these stretchy neoprene cases the other day,
http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_23511.htm

I'd be a little worried about the camera in pocket getting whacked against
something.

Penny

Penny S wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>SniffinVinyl wrote:
>>
>>>Can anyone offer a technical reason (which rules out style) for
>>>going to the baggy variety? (and I don't care about all the little
>>>pockets, I have a camelback).
>>>

>>The only reason I wear them is so I can put my small camera in a
>>pocket. It makes it much more available for candid shots rather than
>>having to get setup for a shot. I can even grab it and snap shots
>>while riding.
>>
>>Greg

> I was thinking about that... I've got a pocket on the outside of mine that
> is the perfect size.. do you keep it in any sort of padded case or just
> stick in in the pocket?

I just stick it in the pocket. My original Olympus Stylus from 1991
survived tons of stuff so I'm treating my A70 the same way. I may be too
trusting but the A70 feels pretty solid.

> I was checking out these stretchy neoprene cases the other day,
> http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_23511.htm
>
> I'd be a little worried about the camera in pocket getting whacked against
> something.

I've ridden with my A70 a handful of times now and dropped it once. I've
already lost the bexel around the lens, it appears to just be cosmetic, and
the door to the compact flash is kind of discombobulated. The only thing
I'm worried about is the lcd getting too scratched up over time. Even the
pathetic little viewfinder on my Olympus is 20 times better than the
viewfinder on the A70 so the lcd is pretty important.

Personally I don't want to get a case because I like to be able to shoot
quickly so I can take pictures of someone who may be close behind without
asking them to stop, seconds count in that scenario. And a lot of my solo
photos are taken while riding, I don't have to stop and get the camera out
of the case.

Greg