Pantani appears at the tour?

ilpirata

Aug 19, 2004
Yes even without the invitation of Leblanc, there were sightings at Courcheval,and other places. Most notably however it was at the mass for the deceased cyclist Fabio Casartelli, where the son of the late olympic champion was seen wearing a "club magico pantani" shirt. curiously there were no riders from this years tour seen at the mass. But Pantani was there and it was no surprise. Fabio's widow recounts the following after learning of the death of Marco Pantani: “He helped me monetarily in a very difficult time” said Annalisa Rosetti. Her words full of affection and recognition. “I hope that now that he is no longer here, that his name will be treated with the respect that it merits. Pantani was a good person, with a great heart, always there in solidariety, the true type, that done in silence, as he did for me and my child after the death of Fabio.”

Annalisa recounts this unknown aspect of Pantani, “some time following the death of Fabio, I had decided to leave Albese to return to Forli, it was then that Pantani put himself at my disposition saying, ‘If you need someone to talk to, or if you want to go out for a pizza, give me a call, I will be happy to share some time with you’ His offer gave me some comfort, I thanked him. But since I am a reserved and introverted person. I never took him up on his offer. However, it was he who once again got in touch with me, inviting me to his town Cesenatico, and with a big surprise for me and my son also called Marco. ‘I know you are living a very difficult moment, Fabio shared the same profession as me, and it seems proper that I should help the family of my more unfortunate colleage. But I wish that you tell no one about this. This is my only request.’ Until now I have honored that request. I like to remember that which he said on July 18, 1995, the day that Fabio died, when he asked that the tour be stopped ‘We must all go the funeral of Casartelli, only this way can we demonstrate to him, our solidariety and our respect’ . He was the only one to have the courage to go against the tide, and I have always been grateful”

It can then be imagined the pain of Annalisa when she heard of the death of Pantani. “I didn’t want to believe it, especially for the way in which he died, all alone with his thoughts, with his anger and pain, cast aside by a world that had once idolized him. If I had known of his condition, if only he would have called me, I would have kept him company and tried to help him with his problems. Who knows, maybe this time it could have been me to help him. I hope now that he and my husband, who were the same age, are pedaling together. And for Marco Pantani that he has that peace that for so long he has been denied.”

I don't know if you heard the english Eurosport coverage yesterday.
David Harmon interviewed Matt Rendall - the author of several book on cycling.
Rendall is completing a biography of Pantani which will be done in October and will be published in spring 2006.

Rendall went in to a bit of detail about the book and he has had full access to MP's parent, his extended family, his former race colleagues and his psychiatrist.
Rendall said that the book will be a sympathetic book : he is an admirer of MP
and mourns his loss.

Like a lot of us do.

Nice piece about Mrs.Casartelli : I remember that terrible day very well.
The following day, the peloton were in funeral procession : seeing Indurain and Jalabert wearing black, is something that I wouldn't wish to see in a race again.

Thanks Lim,
No i did not hear the interview. I will be very interested to read this book when it is released. It sounds like it may be a biography with some bite. A book in English has much more penetration into the world.
limerickman said:
I don't know if you heard the english Eurosport coverage yesterday.
David Harmon interviewed Matt Rendall - the author of several book on cycling.
Rendall is completing a biography of Pantani which will be done in October and will be published in spring 2006.

Rendall went in to a bit of detail about the book and he has had full access to MP's parent, his extended family, his former race colleagues and his psychiatrist.
Rendall said that the book will be a sympathetic book : he is an admirer of MP
and mourns his loss.

Like a lot of us do.

Nice piece about Mrs.Casartelli : I remember that terrible day very well.
The following day, the peloton were in funeral procession : seeing Indurain and Jalabert wearing black, is something that I wouldn't wish to see in a race again.