Pantani eyes Bianchi switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Exelit

According to the BBC, Marco Pantani may join team Bianchi for the 2003 tour.

"My team haven't been invited and so the only way of riding is by joining another team. I've never
had any problems with (Bianchi rider) Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my current team
is not against the move. I could ride the Tour with Bianchi."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/2942046.stm

exelit wrote:
>
> "My team haven't been invited and so the only way of riding is by joining another team. I've never
> had any problems with (Bianchi rider) Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my current
> team is not against the move. I could ride the Tour with Bianchi."
>
That would be an interesting dynamic, and would take a lot of willpower on Pantani's part, I think.
Of course Jan would be leader due to his better time trial, but if Pantani feels good on the last
climb he would have to remember that he's Jan's leutenant, and leutenants don't showboat up the
climb, leaving the leader behind. I could see this happening if, for example, Pantani decides he
wants to try to stick it to the American.

please, please God, let this happen, I never complain about anything ever again

"exelit" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[email protected]...
> According to the BBC, Marco Pantani may join team Bianchi for the 2003 tour.
>
> "My team haven't been invited and so the only way of riding is by joining another team. I've never
> had any problems with (Bianchi rider) Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my current
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/2942046.stm

I can only imagine his present team would cheer.

"exelit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> According to the BBC, Marco Pantani may join team Bianchi for the
> tour.
>
> had any problems with (Bianchi
rider)
> Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my current team is not against the move. I could
> ride the Tour with Bianchi."
>

Liar! As soon as Marco looks the slightest bit tired on the L'Alpe you'll be all over him
like stink.

"Oscar Mannheim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> please, please God, let this happen, I never complain about anything
ever
> again
>
>
> "exelit" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
> news:[email protected]...
> > According to the BBC, Marco Pantani may join team Bianchi for the
> > tour.
> >
> > "My team haven't been invited and so the only way of riding is by joining another team. I've
> > never had any problems with (Bianchi
rider)
> > Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my current team is
not
> > against the move. I could ride the Tour with Bianchi."
> >
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/2942046.stm

the lapsed iconoclast and the failed prodigy. up against the Titan himself, in the centennial event,
with The Record up for grabs. What a freakin dream match up that would be. Greg Miller

that's true, but don't tell God

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
> Liar! As soon as Marco looks the slightest bit tired on the L'Alpe you'll be all over him
> like stink.
>
> "Oscar Mannheim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > please, please God, let this happen, I never complain about anything
> ever
> > again
> >
> >
> > "exelit" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > According to the BBC, Marco Pantani may join team Bianchi for the
> 2003
> > > tour.
> > >
> > > "My team haven't been invited and so the only way of riding is by joining another team. I've
> > > never had any problems with (Bianchi
> rider)
> > > Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my current team is
> not
> > > against the move. I could ride the Tour with Bianchi."
> > >
> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/2942046.stm
> >
> >
>

Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
> That would be an interesting dynamic, and would take a lot of willpower on Pantani's part, I
> think. Of course Jan would be leader due to his better time trial, but if Pantani feels good on
> the last climb he would have to remember that he's Jan's leutenant, and leutenants don't showboat
> up the climb, leaving the leader behind. I could see this happening if, for example, Pantani
> decides he wants to try to stick it to the American.

Jan is going to be buried by the time they leave the Alps. If Marco were to ride as a teammate he
would be in the same position. Both would be looking for stage wins from that point on which changes
the dynamic completely.

This would also make it difficult for either of them to stick it to LANCE since he'll be focused on
his main challengers, who will be speaking Spanish instead of German or Italian.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Bob Schwartz wrote:
>
> This would also make it difficult for either of them to stick it to LANCE since he'll be focused
> on his main challengers, who will be speaking Spanish instead of German or Italian.
>
You're not talking about ONCE, are you? The only way an ONCE rider could challenge LANCE is if Siaz
gets fired.

Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
>>
>> This would also make it difficult for either of them to stick it to LANCE since he'll be focused
>> on his main challengers, who will be speaking Spanish instead of German or Italian.
>>
> You're not talking about ONCE, are you? The only way an ONCE rider could challenge LANCE is if
> Siaz gets fired.

Heh, all too true. But one or two will stay close enough in the Alps to merit further attention. I
don't think either Jan or Marco are capable of that. So to be more specific, I think the Spanish
riders will drop out of contention last.

Ullrich is at least young enough to be a threat next year if he pulls everything together and
can assemble a team to provide adequate support. He's 29 now and still within the age window
where virtually all Tour winners come from. LANCE got his first at 27 just like Indurain, who
bumped up against the upper limit and burned at 32. If there is one thing on Ullrich's side vs
LANCE it's that.

Pantani is 33 this year which is pretty old for a pure climber, and especially so for a pure climber
that was been sitting on his can more than racing in the recent past. I just don't see him being any
more than a sideshow should he get a ride in the Tour. I believe Poulidor was 37 when he last stood
on a Tour podium. But Pantani is no Pou-Pou.

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/tour/tour_age.html

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

"exelit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> According to the BBC, Marco Pantani may join team Bianchi for the 2003 tour.
>
>

This is the latest example of how out of touch with reality La Elefantina has become.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> exelit wrote:
> >
> > "My team haven't been invited and so the only way of riding is by joining another team. I've
> > never had any problems with (Bianchi rider) Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my
> > current team is not against the move. I could ride the Tour with Bianchi."
> >
> That would be an interesting dynamic, and would take a lot of willpower on Pantani's part, I
> think. Of course Jan would be leader due to his better time trial, but if Pantani feels good on
> the last climb he would have to remember that he's Jan's leutenant, and leutenants don't showboat
> up the climb, leaving the leader behind. I could see this happening if, for example, Pantani
> decides he wants to try to stick it to the American.
It's a good move for both Pantani and Ullrich. Ullrich get's added support in the mountains. Pantani
get's to train in the TDF.

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> It's a good move for both Pantani and Ullrich. Ullrich get's added support in the mountains.
> Pantani get's to train in the TDF.

Pantani won't work for anyone else.

Pevenage won't bring him on for this reason alone, not to mention that he's an unpredictable
prima donna.

Would anyone like to bet on whether Pantani will ride for Bianchi?

$20 payable by Paypal.

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > exelit wrote:
> > >
> > > "My team haven't been invited and so the only way of riding is by joining another team. I've
> > > never had any problems with (Bianchi rider) Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my
> > > current team is not against the move. I could ride the Tour with Bianchi."
> > >
> > That would be an interesting dynamic, and would take a lot of willpower
on
> > Pantani's part, I think. Of course Jan would be leader due to his better time trial, but if
> > Pantani feels good on the last climb he would have to remember that he's Jan's leutenant, and
> > leutenants don't showboat up the climb, leaving the leader behind. I could see this happening
> > if, for example, Pantani decides he wants to try to stick it to the American.

> It's a good move for both Pantani and Ullrich. Ullrich get's added support in the mountains.
> Pantani get's to train in the TDF.
>

"Last year I didn't deserve a place because I wasn't riding well but this year things are different
- I'm competitive and would be a threat to Armstrong."--Pantani.

Looks like Pantani is doing recreational drugs or maybe he's got a deal with Osama's boys to off
Armstrong. I can't think of any other threat he might sanely be contemplating.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > exelit wrote:
> > > >
> > > > "My team haven't been invited and so the only way of riding is by joining another team. I've
> > > > never had any problems with (Bianchi
rider)
> > > > Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my current team is not against the move. I
> > > > could ride the Tour with Bianchi."
> > > >
> > > That would be an interesting dynamic, and would take a lot of
willpower
> on
> > > Pantani's part, I think. Of course Jan would be leader due to his
better
> > > time trial, but if Pantani feels good on the last climb he would have
to
> > > remember that he's Jan's leutenant, and leutenants don't showboat up
the
> > > climb, leaving the leader behind. I could see this happening if, for example, Pantani decides
> > > he wants to try to stick it to the American.
>
> > It's a good move for both Pantani and Ullrich. Ullrich get's added support in the mountains.
> > Pantani get's to train in the TDF.
> >
>
> "Last year I didn't deserve a place because I wasn't riding well but this year things are
> different - I'm competitive and would be a threat to Armstrong."--Pantani.
>
> Looks like Pantani is doing recreational drugs or maybe he's got a deal
with
> Osama's boys to off Armstrong. I can't think of any other threat he might sanely be contemplating.

After his recent plastic surgery (which made him look worse) I was hoping he would metamorphise into
the Michael Jackson Wacko Jacko of cycling.

Unfortunately, he's not elected to have more surgeries on his ears (which if taken to the Jacko
extreme would result in the loss of all ear cartiledge), but the standard level of La Elefantina
dementia is entertainment enough.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >
> > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > > exelit wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > "My team haven't been invited and so the only way of riding is by joining another team.
> > > > > I've never had any problems with (Bianchi
> rider)
> > > > > Jan Ullrich, I've close ties with Bianchi and my current team is
not
> > > > > against the move. I could ride the Tour with Bianchi."
> > > > >
> > > > That would be an interesting dynamic, and would take a lot of
> willpower
> > on
> > > > Pantani's part, I think. Of course Jan would be leader due to his
> better
> > > > time trial, but if Pantani feels good on the last climb he would
have
> to
> > > > remember that he's Jan's leutenant, and leutenants don't showboat up
> the
> > > > climb, leaving the leader behind. I could see this happening if, for example, Pantani
> > > > decides he wants to try to stick it to the
American.
> >
> > > It's a good move for both Pantani and Ullrich. Ullrich get's added support in the mountains.
> > > Pantani get's to train in the TDF.
> > >
> >
> > "Last year I didn't deserve a place because I wasn't riding well but
this
> > year things are different - I'm competitive and would be a threat to Armstrong."--Pantani.
> >
> > Looks like Pantani is doing recreational drugs or maybe he's got a deal
> with
> > Osama's boys to off Armstrong. I can't think of any other threat he
might
> > sanely be contemplating.
>
>
> After his recent plastic surgery (which made him look worse) I was hoping
he
> would metamorphise into the Michael Jackson Wacko Jacko of cycling.
>
> Unfortunately, he's not elected to have more surgeries on his ears (which
if
> taken to the Jacko extreme would result in the loss of all ear
cartiledge),
> but the standard level of La Elefantina dementia is entertainment enough.

If he bleached his skin like Jacko, he could entertain the peloton as a mime pretending to be a
threat to Armstrong.

Why do you say that? I suppose that was a legitimate comment several years ago when he had Jalabert
and Zulle over worked before the Tour. I don't think he is doing any harm to his riders these days.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:z%[email protected]...
> Bob Schwartz wrote:
> >
> > This would also make it difficult for either of them to stick it to LANCE since he'll be focused
> > on his main challengers, who will be speaking Spanish instead of German or Italian.
> >
> You're not talking about ONCE, are you? The only way an ONCE rider could challenge LANCE is if
> Siaz gets fired.

Simoni is coming loaded for bear and Lance isn't going to have any time to spare playing nicey-nicey
with Marco. Then in the TT's Lance will be fighting off Gonzales who is coming on the boil as we
speak. So Jan won't be in any position to grab honors there either.

Next year Jan and Marco together would make a pretty awsome team.

"Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Kyle Legate <[email protected]> wrote:
> > That would be an interesting dynamic, and would take a lot of
willpower on
> > Pantani's part, I think. Of course Jan would be leader due to his
better
> > time trial, but if Pantani feels good on the last climb he would
have to
> > remember that he's Jan's leutenant, and leutenants don't showboat
up the
> > climb, leaving the leader behind. I could see this happening if,
for
> > example, Pantani decides he wants to try to stick it to the
American.
>
> Jan is going to be buried by the time they leave the Alps. If Marco were to ride as a teammate he
> would be in the same position. Both would be looking for stage wins from that point on which
> changes the dynamic completely.
>
> This would also make it difficult for either of them to stick it to LANCE since he'll be focused
> on his main challengers, who will be speaking Spanish instead of German or Italian.
>
> Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Nick Burns wrote:
> Why do you say that? I suppose that was a legitimate comment several years ago when he had
> Jalabert and Zulle over worked before the Tour. I don't think he is doing any harm to his riders
> these days.
>
He's too passive in his direction. Several times last Tour the ONCE team had strength in numbers,
with several high placed GC riders (mostly due to the TTT) who could climb and Siaz didn't use
them to pressure Postal, ever. You can't let Postal dictate the race or LANCE will make you pay
for it, and he
did.

Status
Not open for further replies.