Pantani for TdF with Bianchi?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve McGinty, May 28, 2003.

  1. From:

    http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20030527_233403Dev.html

    Pantani at Bianchi?

    The former winner of the Tour de France, the Italian Marco Pantani, announced on Tuesday that he
    could leave Mercatone Uno to join Bianchi and thus to take part in next Grande Loop.

    "I would adore to take part once again in the Td F. It would be an honour for me and I would like to
    see how I would be able to deal with Lance Armstrong ", Pantani said during the second rest day of
    the Tour of Italy.

    "My team Mercatone Uno not having been invited, the only way of riding is to join another team. I
    never had problems with Jan Ullrich, I have close contacts with Bianchi and my current team is not
    opposed to the transfer. I could thus take part in the Turn of France with Bianchi."

    Regards! Stephen

    Tags:

  2. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    On Belgium teletext Rudi Pevenage was quoted saying that Pantani was the last thing on their minds,
    all their attention is on getting the current team ready for the Tour. So propably just an attempt
    from Pantani to get some attention.

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message

    > http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20030527_233403Dev.html
    >
    > Pantani at Bianchi?
    >
    > The former winner of the Tour de France, the Italian Marco Pantani, announced on Tuesday that he
    > could leave Mercatone Uno to join Bianchi and thus to take part in next Grande Loop.
    >
    > "I would adore to take part once again in the Td F. It would be an honour for me and I would like
    > to see how I would be able to deal with Lance Armstrong ", Pantani said during the second rest day
    > of the Tour of Italy.
    >
    > "My team Mercatone Uno not having been invited, the only way of riding is to join another team. I
    > never had problems with Jan Ullrich, I have close contacts with Bianchi and my current team is not
    > opposed to the transfer. I could thus take part in the Turn of France with Bianchi."
    >

    > Regards! Stephen

  3. Roger Ramjet

    Roger Ramjet Guest

    I would not trust that 2-faced EPO infested dago on my team. He would stab Jan in the back in any
    mountain stage Jan was in great difficulty. Probally would swap piss samples and get the young
    'kraut in trouble.

    Jan is a near-great champion whom I hope is in top form this July so we finally get to see a
    good race.

    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Belgium teletext Rudi Pevenage was quoted saying that Pantani was the last thing on their
    > minds, all their attention is on getting the current team ready for the Tour. So propably just an
    > attempt from Pantani to get some attention.
    >
    > "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20030527_233403Dev.html
    > >
    > > Pantani at Bianchi?
    > >
    > > The former winner of the Tour de France, the Italian Marco Pantani, announced on Tuesday that he
    > > could leave Mercatone Uno to join Bianchi and thus to take part in next Grande Loop.
    > >
    > > "I would adore to take part once again in the Td F. It would be an honour for me and I would
    > > like to see how I would be able to deal with Lance Armstrong ", Pantani said during the second
    > > rest day of the Tour of Italy.
    > >
    > > "My team Mercatone Uno not having been invited, the only way of riding is to join another team.
    > > I never had problems with Jan Ullrich, I have close contacts with Bianchi and my current team is
    > > not opposed to the transfer. I could thus take part in the Turn of France with Bianchi."
    > >

    > > Regards! Stephen

  4. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <@4ax.com...

    > http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20030527_233403Dev.html
    >
    > Pantani at Bianchi?
    >
    > The former winner of the Tour de France, the Italian Marco Pantani, announced on Tuesday that he
    > could leave Mercatone Uno to join Bianchi and thus to take part in next Grande Loop.

    Let's hope this turns out to be true, and that LANCE beats him by 10+ minutes.

    > "I would adore to take part once again in the Td F. It would be an honour for me and I would like
    > to see how I would be able to deal with Lance Armstrong ", Pantani said during the second rest day
    > of the Tour of Italy. ...

  5. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    Who do you think you're shitting? If there is one thing that Marco is, it's a team player. Hell,
    just the other day he dragged Garzelli up the mountains just because he owed him one. If it was time
    to support Ullrich there couldn't be a more loyal teammate and racer.

    news:pxbBa.14208$A[email protected]...

  6. "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote in message

    > http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20030527_233403Dev.html
    >
    > Pantani at Bianchi?
    >
    > The former winner of the Tour de France, the Italian Marco Pantani, announced on Tuesday that he
    > could leave Mercatone Uno to join Bianchi and thus to take part in next Grande Loop.
    >
    > "I would adore to take part once again in the Td F. It would be an honour for me and I would like
    > to see how I would be able to deal with Lance Armstrong ", Pantani said during the second rest day
    > of the Tour of Italy.
    >
    > "My team Mercatone Uno not having been invited, the only way of riding is to join another team. I
    > never had problems with Jan Ullrich, I have close contacts with Bianchi and my current team is not
    > opposed to the transfer. I could thus take part in the Turn of France with Bianchi."
    >

    > Regards! Stephen

    In all fairness, there's a part of the quote missing:

    "Il romagnolo ha spiegato che, dopo la fine del Giro d'Italia, incontrerĂ  i suoi sponsor per
    verificare concretamente che la mossa sia attuabile."

    Translated: [Pantani] explained that after the Giro, he will meet with his sponsors to determine
    concretely if the move is [doable].

    So, he's not saying it's a done-deal.

    Scott-