Pantani found dead

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by -Lsqnot Respond, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. davek

    davek New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2004
    :eek:

    That's a real shocker, to put it mildly. I'm gutted.

  2. Graham

    Graham Guest

  3. Very, very sad.

    helen s

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    "[Not Responding]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For those who follow cycling as sport.
    >
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/3489569.stm

    ..and http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/3489675.stm Belgian cyclist Johan Sermon
    has been found dead from apparent heart failure in his sleep. The death of the 21-year-old, an under-
    23 rider with the Daikin team, emerged just hours after Italian cycling star Marco Pantani was also
    found dead.

    Tony

  5. >Belgian cyclist Johan Sermon has been found dead from apparent heart failure in his sleep.

    It's a bad weekend for cycling.

    helen s

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  7. waffle

    waffle New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2003
    a professional athlete with apparent heart failure at the age of 23.

    That'd make him about number six, or so over the course of the last year. Doesn't it strike you guys as a bit odd that arguably the fittest of all pro athletes (cyclists) aged in their 20's have been dropping off. is there s.t. un-natural going on here, i.e. performance enhancing drugs or am i missing something

  8. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:57:56 +0000, waffle wrote:

    > a professional athlete with apparent heart failure at the age of 23.
    >
    > That'd make him about number six, or so over the course of the last year. Doesn't it strike you
    > guys as a bit odd that arguably the fittest of all pro athletes (cyclists) aged in their 20's have
    > been dropping off. is there s.t. un-natural going on here, i.e. performance enhancing drugs or am
    > i missing something

    It is not completely uncommon for very fit sportsmen to have heart attacks, and just drop down
    dead.There have been a number of footballers in the UK that have died when apparently really fit
    with no known medical problems. Alan.
    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  9. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:19:16 +0000, "A.Lee" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:57:56 +0000, waffle wrote:
    >
    >> a professional athlete with apparent heart failure at the age of 23.
    >>
    >> That'd make him about number six, or so over the course of the last year. Doesn't it strike you
    >> guys as a bit odd that arguably the fittest of all pro athletes (cyclists) aged in their 20's
    >> have been dropping off. is there s.t. un-natural going on here, i.e. performance enhancing drugs
    >> or am i missing something
    >
    >It is not completely uncommon for very fit sportsmen to have heart attacks, and just drop down
    >dead.There have been a number of footballers in the UK that have died when apparently really fit
    >with no known medical problems. Alan.

    Get real - no other sport has the problems cycling is now experiencing. Unfortunatley there will be
    many more over the next few years as the effects of blood doping takes it heavy toll.

    Regards! Stephen

  10. Steve McGinty wrote:

    > Get real - no other sport has the problems cycling is now experiencing. Unfortunatley there will
    > be many more over the next few years as the effects of blood doping takes it heavy toll.

    Strange that the greats like Merckx, Hinault, LeMond, Indurain etc have all survived. And Anquetil,
    of course, died of cancer which probably had nothing to do with his cycling career.

    Maybe the modern doping is more dangerous - Merckx has hinted that performance-enhancing drugs were
    in use back in the 70s.

  11. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:33:06 +0000, Steve McGinty wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:19:16 +0000, "A.Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:57:56 +0000, waffle wrote:
    >>
    >>> a professional athlete with apparent heart failure at the age of 23.
    >>>
    >>> That'd make him about number six, or so over the course of the last year. Doesn't it strike you
    >>> guys as a bit odd that arguably the fittest of all pro athletes (cyclists) aged in their 20's
    >>> have been dropping off. is there s.t. un-natural going on here, i.e. performance enhancing drugs
    >>> or am i missing something
    >>
    >>It is not completely uncommon for very fit sportsmen to have heart attacks, and just drop down
    >>dead.There have been a number of footballers in the UK that have died when apparently really fit
    >>with no known medical problems. Alan.
    >
    > Get real - no other sport has the problems cycling is now experiencing. Unfortunatley there will
    > be many more over the next few years as the effects of blood doping takes it heavy toll.

    Yes, cycling has dope problems (as do many other sports),but neither of these 2 deaths have been
    directly associated with doping.Pantani was known to be depressed, and has reportedly put on a lot
    of weight recently,thus ruling him out of any serious racing,the Belgian rider was found dead after
    a heart attack. As stated above,heart attacks do kill young people, and it seems to afflict very fit
    people more, proportionally, than 'average' people. Pantani was an allegedly known drug user (though
    he always denied it),so drug abuse cannot be ruled out yet, but leave it to the inquest to find out
    the truth. Alan.

    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  12. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:46:02 +0000, "A.Lee" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:33:06 +0000, Steve McGinty wrote:

    >>>It is not completely uncommon for very fit sportsmen to have heart attacks, and just drop down
    >>>dead.There have been a number of footballers in the UK that have died when apparently really fit
    >>>with no known medical problems. Alan.
    >>
    >> Get real - no other sport has the problems cycling is now experiencing. Unfortunatley there will
    >> be many more over the next few years as the effects of blood doping takes it heavy toll.
    >
    >Yes, cycling has dope problems (as do many other sports),but neither of these 2 deaths have been
    >directly associated with doping.Pantani was known to be depressed, and has reportedly put on a lot
    >of weight recently,thus ruling him out of any serious racing,the Belgian rider was found dead after
    >a heart attack. As stated above,heart attacks do kill young people, and it seems to afflict very
    >fit people more, proportionally, than 'average' people. Pantani was an allegedly known drug user
    >(though he always denied it),so drug abuse cannot be ruled out yet, but leave it to the inquest to
    >find out the truth. Alan.

    David Walsh's article in today's Times is a sobering look at the sad death of Pantani

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1002875,00.html

    including:

    "Speaking from Rome last night, (Professor) Sandro Donati expressed his sorrow at Pantani’s death
    and his disgust at those who contributed to it.

    “This night,” he said, “there are some doctors in Italy who should not sleep easily. Journalists,
    too, played their part. They knew what he was doing and they urged him to go faster and faster. When
    he won, they said he was a legend, when he was very unhealthy. Marco Pantani could have been a
    legend by telling young people what he had done and how it had affected his life.”

    It would be easy to recall the majesty of Pantani in full flight, but it would another piece of
    hypocrisy. Better to remember that Pantani was destroyed by his ambition and by a sport with no will
    to police itself properly. "

    Regards! Stephen

  13. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > Get real - no other sport has the problems cycling is now experiencing.

    I wonder how much of a problem football might have, following the recent high profile case of a
    footballer who 'forgot' to show up for a drugs test.

    http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

  14. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    [email protected] (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) writes:

    > >Belgian cyclist Johan Sermon has been found dead from apparent heart failure in his sleep.
    >
    > It's a bad weekend for cycling.

    It's not a bad weekend for cycling. It's a perfectly nice weekend for cycling. It's a bad weekend
    for the authorities in charge of the sport of cycling, but seeing they're an unlovely bunch of
    reactionary ostriches that's probably good news for everyone concerned - except the fmilies of the
    guys who died, of course.

    ;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus ;; asylum seeker

  15. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:19:16 +0000, "A.Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>It is not completely uncommon for very fit sportsmen to have heart attacks, and just drop down
    >>dead.There have been a number of footballers in the UK that have died when apparently really fit
    >>with no known medical problems. Alan.
    >

    > Get real - no other sport has the problems cycling is now experiencing. Unfortunatley there will
    > be many more over the next few years as the effects of blood doping takes it heavy toll.

    I know a very fit amateur sportsman who dropped dead with no warning (and certainly no suspicion of
    drugs in that case). It wouldn't surprise me at all if highly intensive training carried an
    increased risk of heart problems (I thought it was known that large amounts of long steady distance
    training could over-enlarge the heart).

    James

  16. labicci

    labicci New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2003
    Agree. Sports is a kind of stress, and some stress can make the body stronger, but too much stress and inadequate rest can damage the body.

    Nowadays professional cyclists are facing too much stresses. Not only is the competition fierce, they also have to face various stresses of life, including the never ending suspicion regarding doping.

    Our sports could withstand this kind of stress no more.