Pantani found dead

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by -Lsqnot Respond, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

  2. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:37:23 GMT, labicci
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    <[email protected]>:

    >Nowadays professional cyclists are facing too much stresses.

    No modern cyclist would race even half the number of days per year that Merckx raced.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:44:24 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >Maybe the modern doping is more dangerous - Merckx has hinted that performance-enhancing drugs were
    >in use back in the 70s.

    Quite possibly - in the old days they used well-proven drugs, now they have to use the latest tricks
    to try to evade the blood tests.

    I wonder if Lance is taking gear? I guess he must be or he would not win.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

  4. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:42:39 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:37:23 GMT, labicci <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ><[email protected]>:
    >
    >>Nowadays professional cyclists are facing too much stresses.
    >
    >No modern cyclist would race even half the number of days per year that Merckx raced.

    Exactly - the problem at the moment is specifically blood doping (EPO etc) which has taken doping in
    endurance sports to a new level.

    Merckx and his contemparies used less sophisticated products which did not significantly increase
    perfomance in the way that blood doping has since the early 90's. Unfortunately the price would
    appear to be very high indeed.

    Regards! Stephen

  5. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Quite possibly - in the old days they used well-proven drugs, now they have to use the latest
    > tricks to try to evade the blood tests.
    >
    > I wonder if Lance is taking gear? I guess he must be or he would not win.

    That, I suspect, we'll never know. At least it gives The Rest Of Us an excuse for being crap at
    climbing - "we're not on drugs, you know".

  6. Andy Cheung

    Andy Cheung Guest

    leave lance out of this please.
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:44:24 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >Maybe the modern doping is more dangerous - Merckx has hinted that performance-enhancing drugs
    > >were in use back in the 70s.
    >
    > Quite possibly - in the old days they used well-proven drugs, now they have to use the latest
    > tricks to try to evade the blood tests.
    >
    > I wonder if Lance is taking gear? I guess he must be or he would not win.
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    > http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk
    >
    > 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of
    Washington.

  7. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:23:24 +0000 (UTC), "ANDY CHEUNG"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >leave lance out of this please.

    Why?

    Regards! Stephen

  8. A.Lee

    A.Lee Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:40:00 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:44:24 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    >>Maybe the modern doping is more dangerous - Merckx has hinted that performance-enhancing drugs
    >>were in use back in the 70s.
    >
    > Quite possibly - in the old days they used well-proven drugs,
    snip

    What, like the 'well-proven' drugs that Tom Simpson was taking? Alan.

    --
    To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'. http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the
    North Midlands.

  9. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... .

    > That, I suspect, we'll never know. At least it gives The Rest Of Us an excuse for being crap at
    > climbing - "we're not on drugs, you know".

    Speak for yourself, although I'm not convinced the atenolol helps my climbing ;o).

    But at least recovery is quick when I finally get to the top.

  10. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:09:40 +0000 someone who may be Zog The
    Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >That, I suspect, we'll never know. At least it gives The Rest Of Us an excuse for being crap at
    >climbing - "we're not on drugs, you know".

    I must remember that one:)

  11. Frank X

    Frank X Guest

    "A.Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:40:00 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:44:24 +0000, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > <[email protected]>:
    > >
    > >>Maybe the modern doping is more dangerous - Merckx has hinted that performance-enhancing drugs
    > >>were in use back in the 70s.
    > >
    > > Quite possibly - in the old days they used well-proven drugs,
    > snip
    >
    > What, like the 'well-proven' drugs that Tom Simpson was taking? Alan.

    Amphetamines, didn't have to be a rocket scientist to guess that one.

  12. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Steve McGinty wrote:
    > > Get real - no other sport has the problems cycling is now experiencing.
    >
    > I wonder how much of a problem football might have, following the recent high profile case of a
    > footballer who 'forgot' to show up for a drugs test.

    Word on the street is that football does not have a large problem with performance enhancing drugs,
    but recreational in the main. However the testing regime is unbelievably lax.

    One of the rumours about That Footballer is that he "had a dose" and thought it might show up in the
    test! Only the day he sent a text to the doctor who had been treating him for a "kidney infection".

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do
    with the ball, just stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options
    afterwards."

    > --
    > Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    > http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
    > "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  13. labicci

    labicci New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2003
    The intensity of stress is not counted by the number of races that the racing cyclists entered. It is about the pressure from the sponsors who demand results and the pressure from the media. With more media exposure, bigger money from the commercial world etc. you could understand what I mean.

  14. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    James Annan wrote:

    > I know a very fit amateur sportsman who dropped dead with no warning (and certainly no suspicion
    > of drugs in that case). It wouldn't surprise me at all if highly intensive training carried an
    > increased risk of heart problems (I thought it was known that large amounts of long steady
    > distance training could over-enlarge the heart).

    There are few sports people that make it to old age Whether its the training when they compete or
    the stopping training when they retire is an open question.

    Tony

  15. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    waffle wrote:
    > a professional athlete with apparent heart failure at the age of 23.
    >
    > That'd make him about number six, or so over the course of the last year. Doesn't it strike you
    > guys as a bit odd that arguably the fittest of all pro athletes (cyclists) aged in their 20's have
    > been dropping off. is there s.t. un-natural going on here, i.e. performance enhancing drugs or am
    > i missing something

    Now saying that Pantani was heart attack as well

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/3490761.stm

    Tony

  16. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:37:23 GMT, labicci <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    > >Nowadays professional cyclists are facing too much stresses.
    >
    > No modern cyclist would race even half the number of days per year that Merckx raced.

    Neither would Merckx have if he could have made the living that Lance does by basing his entire
    season around winning one stage race.

    --
    Dave...

  17. Frobnitz

    Frobnitz Guest

  18. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    "David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:09:40 +0000 someone who may be Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote this:-
    >
    > >That, I suspect, we'll never know. At least it gives The Rest Of Us an excuse for being crap at
    > >climbing - "we're not on drugs, you know".
    >
    > I must remember that one:)
    >

    > --

    The ten pint of guinness I drink on a saturday night does for me!

    Pete White

  19. Pkhoo

    Pkhoo Guest

  20. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]y.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > There are few sports people that make it to old age Whether its the training when they compete or
    > the stopping training when they retire is an open question.

    More likely it's the drink and drugs from the sudden fame and fortune. Plus, of course, the fact
    that when an old sportperson dies, no-one remembers that they were famous 50 years ago. In contrast,
    the death of a current or recent icon is newsworthy.

    James