Pantani found dead

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Plus, of course, the fact that when an old sportperson dies, no-one remembers that they were
> famous 50 years ago. In contrast, the death of a current or recent icon is newsworthy.
When Gino Bartali died not so long ago the whole of Italy came to a standstill ... he was in his
80s.. Gaul, Poulidor, Bahamontes and many others will be similarily missed. They are all reaching
old age. - Dan Gregory

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > There are few sports people that make it to old age Whether its the
training
> > when they compete or the stopping training when they retire is an
open
> > question.
>
> More likely it's the drink and drugs from the sudden fame and fortune. Plus, of course, the fact
> that when an old sportperson dies, no-one remembers that they were famous 50 years ago. In
> contrast, the death of a current or recent icon is newsworthy.
>
> James

Actually the Times obituary page is stuffed full of old sportsmen - that few have heard of. And
bishops and actresses...

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:46:40 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
<[email protected]>:

>Actually the Times obituary page is stuffed full of old sportsmen - that few have heard of. And
>bishops and actresses...

And George Best can easily pass for ninety in the right light ;-)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

"Geoff Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Actually the Times obituary page is stuffed full of old sportsmen - that few have heard of.

That's my point. The old ones (of which there are many) don't grab the headlines, but a few young
stars dropping dead is front page news. That said, I don't know what the average lifespan of a
professional sportsperson is - I wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly different from the general
population, but a big discrepancy seems unlikely.

James

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:20:32 +0000, Steve McGinty
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:42:39 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:37:23 GMT, labicci <[email protected]> wrote in message
>><[email protected]>:
>>
>>>Nowadays professional cyclists are facing too much stresses.
>>
>>No modern cyclist would race even half the number of days per year that Merckx raced.
>>
>Exactly - the problem at the moment is specifically blood doping (EPO etc) which has taken doping
>in endurance sports to a new level.

Nothing new here ......... the Finnish distance runner Lasse Viren was famous in the 70's for
tranfusing his own blood after it being put into a centrifuge to 'spin off' the red blood
cells ........

>Nothing new here ......... the Finnish distance runner Lasse Viren was famous in the 70's for
>tranfusing his own blood after it being put into a centrifuge to 'spin off' the red blood
>cells ........

In fact some endurance athletes are going back to those methods either with their own or
donated blood.

Regards! Stephen

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:47:36 +0000, Steve McGinty
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>Nothing new here ......... the Finnish distance runner Lasse Viren was famous in the 70's for
>>tranfusing his own blood after it being put into a centrifuge to 'spin off' the red blood cells
>>
>In fact some endurance athletes are going back to those methods either with their own or
>donated blood.

I mean look at Keith Richards .......... althought not essentially an athelete, he is only 36 years
of age ;-)