Pantani found dead

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by -Lsqnot Respond, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. Dan Gregory

    Dan Gregory Guest

    "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Plus, of course, the fact that when an old sportperson dies, no-one remembers that they were
    > famous 50 years ago. In contrast, the death of a current or recent icon is newsworthy.
    When Gino Bartali died not so long ago the whole of Italy came to a standstill ... he was in his
    80s.. Gaul, Poulidor, Bahamontes and many others will be similarily missed. They are all reaching
    old age. - Dan Gregory

  2. "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > There are few sports people that make it to old age Whether its the
    training
    > > when they compete or the stopping training when they retire is an
    open
    > > question.
    >
    > More likely it's the drink and drugs from the sudden fame and fortune. Plus, of course, the fact
    > that when an old sportperson dies, no-one remembers that they were famous 50 years ago. In
    > contrast, the death of a current or recent icon is newsworthy.
    >
    > James

    Actually the Times obituary page is stuffed full of old sportsmen - that few have heard of. And
    bishops and actresses...

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:46:40 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
    <[email protected]>:

    >Actually the Times obituary page is stuffed full of old sportsmen - that few have heard of. And
    >bishops and actresses...

    And George Best can easily pass for ninety in the right light ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  4. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Actually the Times obituary page is stuffed full of old sportsmen - that few have heard of.

    That's my point. The old ones (of which there are many) don't grab the headlines, but a few young
    stars dropping dead is front page news. That said, I don't know what the average lifespan of a
    professional sportsperson is - I wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly different from the general
    population, but a big discrepancy seems unlikely.

    James

  5. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:20:32 +0000, Steve McGinty
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:42:39 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:37:23 GMT, labicci <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >><[email protected]>:
    >>
    >>>Nowadays professional cyclists are facing too much stresses.
    >>
    >>No modern cyclist would race even half the number of days per year that Merckx raced.
    >>
    >Exactly - the problem at the moment is specifically blood doping (EPO etc) which has taken doping
    >in endurance sports to a new level.

    Nothing new here ......... the Finnish distance runner Lasse Viren was famous in the 70's for
    tranfusing his own blood after it being put into a centrifuge to 'spin off' the red blood
    cells ........

  6. >Nothing new here ......... the Finnish distance runner Lasse Viren was famous in the 70's for
    >tranfusing his own blood after it being put into a centrifuge to 'spin off' the red blood
    >cells ........

    In fact some endurance athletes are going back to those methods either with their own or
    donated blood.

    Regards! Stephen

  7. Jack Ouzzi

    Jack Ouzzi Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:47:36 +0000, Steve McGinty
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Nothing new here ......... the Finnish distance runner Lasse Viren was famous in the 70's for
    >>tranfusing his own blood after it being put into a centrifuge to 'spin off' the red blood cells
    >>
    >In fact some endurance athletes are going back to those methods either with their own or
    >donated blood.

    I mean look at Keith Richards .......... althought not essentially an athelete, he is only 36 years
    of age ;-)