Pantani in Hospital: drug addiction/depression

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Art Harris, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-pantani-rehab&prov=ap&type=lgns

From the above link:

"Pantani said in a statement Wednesday that he is being treated in Teolo, in northern Italy. He
    asked his fans and the media to respect his privacy, "

<snip>

I always like it when someone who is paid to be a public figure wants to have their privacy
    respected.

If he wants privacy, he should never sign a contract to be a professional cyclist, one who is paid
    to bring publicity and exposure to their sponsor/employer.

K. Gringioni former fan of La Elefantina

2. David Ryan

David Ryan Guest

3. Don't be an asshole kurgan. By the same logic, when you choose to participate in a public forum
    such as this, would that make it right for me to plaster every bit of personal information that
    I could find about you here? I mean, if you didn't want it there then you should have never
    posted, right...?

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-pantani-rehab&prov=ap&type=lgns
    >
    >
    >
    > From the above link:
    >
    > "Pantani said in a statement Wednesday that he is being treated in Teolo,
    in
    > northern Italy. He asked his fans and the media to respect his privacy, "
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >
    >
    > I always like it when someone who is paid to be a public figure wants to have their privacy
    > respected.
    >
    >
    > If he wants privacy, he should never sign a contract to be a professional cyclist, one who is paid
    > to bring publicity and exposure to their sponsor/employer.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > K. Gringioni former fan of La Elefantina

4. Wayne

Wayne Guest

Does anyone know to what drug(s) he is reportedly addicted?

Didn't he just finish the Giro, I don't remember him testing positive for any drugs?

5. kurgan-<< "Pantani said in a statement Wednesday that he is being treated in Teolo, in northern
    Italy. He asked his fans and the media to respect his privacy, "
    >><BR><BR>

snip-

<< I always like it when someone who is paid to be a public figure wants to have their privacy
    respected.

If he wants privacy, he should never sign a contract to be a professional cyclist, one who is paid
    to bring >><BR><BR>

Give the guy a break. If the diagnosis is correct(depression), he is lucky to be in treatment. As a
    father of somebody that has this affliction, it can be tougher than anything most people experience.
    It is damaging to the extreme, very difficult to treat....

So give the guy some slack...even if ya don't like him...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

6. B. Lafferty

B. Lafferty Guest

The law is fairly "clear" in this country as to public figures from the case of NY Times v.
    Sullivan. Public figures, those who have purposefully injected themselves into a public forum, such
    as politics, have less privacy protection than the average person.

That said, I vaguely recall that there was a recent case in the UK where the privacy of a media
    star as to personal medical treatment/problems was upheld in the courts. And what happened to the
    case of the film stars who sued in the UK for invasion of privacy for shooting photos of their
    private wedding?

There should be a physician client priviledge in the Pantani case. That he's in hospital may be
    public knowledge but his medical records and treatment should be private IF he chooses to keep them
    that way. But without publicity, Marco has no value to Mercatone Uno.

"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > Don't be an asshole kurgan. By the same logic, when you choose to participate in a public forum
    > such as this, would that make it right for
    me
    > to plaster every bit of personal information that I could find about you here? I mean, if you
    > didn't want it there then you should have never posted, right...?
    >
    > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-pantani-rehab&prov=ap&type=lgns
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > From the above link:
    > >
    > > "Pantani said in a statement Wednesday that he is being treated in
    Teolo,
    > in
    > > northern Italy. He asked his fans and the media to respect his privacy,
    "
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > I always like it when someone who is paid to be a public figure wants to have their privacy
    > > respected.
    > >
    > >
    > > If he wants privacy, he should never sign a contract to be a
    professional
    > > cyclist, one who is paid to bring publicity and exposure to their sponsor/employer.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > K. Gringioni former fan of La Elefantina
    > >
    > >

7. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > kurgan-<< "Pantani said in a statement Wednesday that he is being treated
    in
    > Teolo, in northern Italy. He asked his fans and the media to respect his privacy, "
    > >><BR><BR>
    >
    > snip-
    >
    > << I always like it when someone who is paid to be a public figure wants
    to
    > have their privacy respected.
    >
    >
    > If he wants privacy, he should never sign a contract to be a professional cyclist, one who is paid
    > to bring >><BR><BR>
    >
    >
    > Give the guy a break. If the diagnosis is correct(depression), he is lucky
    to
    > be in treatment. As a father of somebody that has this affliction, it can be tougher than anything
    > most people experience. It is damaging to the extreme, very
    difficult
    > to treat....
    >
    > So give the guy some slack...even if ya don't like him...

You give a slack when he has been able to show compassion with others. But some of his statements
    about US riders as well as others don't give him that right. If he dishes it out........he should be
    able to take it, right?
    >
    > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

8. "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > Don't be an asshole kurgan.

No.

> By the same logic, when you choose to participate in a public forum such as this, would that make
    > it right for
    me
    > to plaster every bit of personal information that I could find about you here? I mean, if you
    > didn't want it there then you should have never posted, right...?

No -

I'm not getting paid to be a public figure and get exposure/media coverage for my employer.

La Elefantina isn't getting paid to win bike races. However, he does get more exposure then some who
    do, hence his value to Mercatone Uno.

9. Dashi Toshii

Dashi Toshii Guest

10. Ah.........Pantani....... He was sooo fantastico with his tour victory. Those little legs, were like
    pistons. But it was all an illusion, and EPO illusion.

11. Benjo Maso

Benjo Maso Guest

"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=ap-pantani-rehab&prov=ap&type=lgns

It's probably important to know that although some Italian newspapers have suggested that Pantani
    might be in hospital for drug addiction, there is absolutely no proof for that allegation. They only
    thing we know is that he is in a clinic specialized in neurological and mental disorders. And by the
    way, I have the impression that not everybody seems to know that "feeling depressed" is to a real
    depression as "feeling sick" to a grave illness. Concerning, his request to be left alone, Pantani
    just asked his fans to stop the continuous visits to the clinic in which he is staying "respecting
    the privacy I'm entitled to, and above all the privacy of the patients staying in this instituition
    and their next of kin who have been greatly inconvenienced the last few days". Doesn't seem
    unreasonable to me.

Benjo Maso

12. Keven Ruf

Keven Ruf Guest

"Just a Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> You give a slack when he has been able to show compassion with others. But some of his statements
    > about US riders as well as others don't give him that right. If he dishes it out........he should
    > be able to take it, right?
    > >

The anti-Pantani crowd, as well as the "Ullrich is fat" crowd, all share the same lack of ability to
    think for themselves as the pro-war crowd. It's mere parroting of what they hear others say and
    therefore is a safe position to take. Try thinking for yourselves for a change.

--Keven.

13. "Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "Just a Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > You give a slack when he has been able to show compassion with others.
    But
    > > some of his statements about US riders as well as others don't give him
    that
    > > right. If he dishes it out........he should be able to take it, right?
    > > >
    >
    >
    > The anti-Pantani crowd, as well as the "Ullrich is fat" crowd, all share the same lack of ability
    > to think for themselves as the pro-war crowd. It's mere parroting of what they hear others say and
    > therefore is a safe position to take. Try thinking for yourselves for a change.
    >
    > --Keven.

I did think for myself.........I would appreciate it if you didn't think for
    me.... I didn't ask you to either.... So try not to put words in other peoples mouths..........thank
    you very much ....

14. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > popo-<< You give a slack when he has been able to show compassion with
    others.
    > But some of his statements about US riders as well as others don't give him
    that
    > right. If he dishes it out........he should be able to take it, right? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > wrong....

Oh so he can dish it out.......but when it comes back him...it's a different set of rules?
    >
    > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

15. B. Lafferty

B. Lafferty Guest

"Just a Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > popo-<< You give a slack when he has been able to show compassion with
    > others.
    > > But some of his statements about US riders as well as others don't give him
    > that
    > > right. If he dishes it out........he should be able to take it, right?
    >><BR><BR>
    > >
    > > wrong....
    >
    > Oh so he can dish it out.......but when it comes back him...it's a
    different
    > set of rules?

Compassion dictates that he doesn't deserve what he gives. The only exception is for morons, which
    Pantani is not. Consider also that anger and irritability are symptomatic of clinical depression.

16. Lewdvig

Lewdvig Guest

WTF does my war stand have to do with whether you think Pantani is a stupid f*ck?

I read la Gazetta and Bicisport. Pantani is a drama queen prima donna. A 60% hemocrit was his
    greatest 'talent.'

"Just a Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Keven Ruf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > "Just a Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > > You give a slack when he has been able to show compassion with others.
    > But
    > > > some of his statements about US riders as well as others don't give
    him
    > that
    > > > right. If he dishes it out........he should be able to take it, right?
    > > > >
    > >
    > >
    > > The anti-Pantani crowd, as well as the "Ullrich is fat" crowd, all share the same lack of
    > > ability to think for themselves as the pro-war crowd. It's mere parroting of what they hear
    > > others say and therefore is a safe position to take. Try thinking for yourselves for a change.
    > >
    > > --Keven.
    >
    > I did think for myself.........I would appreciate it if you didn't think
    for
    > me.... I didn't ask you to either.... So try not to put words in other peoples
    > mouths..........thank you very
    much
    > ....

17. "B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > "Just a Cyclist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > popo-<< You give a slack when he has been able to show compassion with
    > > others.
    > > > But some of his statements about US riders as well as others don't give
    him
    > > that
    > > > right. If he dishes it out........he should be able to take it, right?
    > >><BR><BR>
    > > >
    > > > wrong....
    > >
    > > Oh so he can dish it out.......but when it comes back him...it's a
    > different
    > > set of rules?
    >
    > Compassion dictates that he doesn't deserve what he gives. The only exception is for morons, which
    > Pantani is not. Consider also that anger
    and
    > irritability are symptomatic of clinical depression.

Ok....then we obviously don't think a like........I can deal with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.