Pantani named in Spanish doping affair... when will it end ?

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
What I find interesting is the amount of money involved... 8 million euro's ! I'm going to get into doping...

According to Italian newspaper Il Corriere della Sera, Spanish investigators suspect that under-fire Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes once counted the late Marco Pantani among his clients. Documents seized from Fuentes feature references to a "PTNI" - thought to be Pantani. The Italian climber allegedly consulted Fuentes in 2003, paying 36,000 euros for treatment with EPO, growth hormone, anabolic steroids and a product designed for menopausal women. The Spanish Guardia Civil estimates that Pantani's fee corresponded to the "cheapest" of Fuentes's price-plans. The Spanish svengali and his collaborators are thought to have pocketed over eight million euros from their dealings with pro cyclists between 2002 and 2006 alone.

Il Corriere also casts doubt on Astana Wurth (formerly Liberty Seguros) rider Marcos Serrano's explanation for his withdrawal from the recent Giro d'Italia after 13 stages. Serrano claimed at the time that he had been suffering from a viral infection. The Spanish Guardia Civil has a different theory, Il Corriere reports. "According to the investigators, Serrano was admitted to hospital in Tortona [near the stage finish in La Thuile - Ed], where he spent four days," the Italian broadsheet writes. "The hypothesis that the investigators are trying to confirm is that the rider suffered a kind of short-circuit."

Pantani's name was on the original short list from last week. Most of the names were active riders, plus a few sancioned riders (Hamilton, Perez, Heras, Gonzales-Galdeano) and Plaza who's retired. Seems like everyone on the list had raced in the last two years except for Marco... that seemed odd; should be a steady stream of names over the years. Maybe they're holding back the older ones but figured there wasn't any risk in releasing Pantani's name since he can't protest.

Wow! 8 million euros? I'm not up on what the exchange rate between euros and US dollars is but I'm thinking it's almost 1 to 1? Have to agree with WBT. The doping racket sounds pretty lucrative!

tinks said:
Rasmussen also confirms that Thomas Dekker was also on the list but his name didn't make the 38 page summary. Supposedly he was suspected because of his link with Checchini.

Anyone remember the excuse he gave for not riding the Tour . . .

http://www.feltet.dk/nyheder/show_news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1151792695&archive=&template=korte
Yes it was a strange timing, just when people were getting excited about Dekker's chances in doing a good Tour.

What I don't understand is the non-spanish names riding for non-Spanish teams - Basso, Ullrich I suppose, plus Pantani

I can understand that a whole Spanish team would be serviced by Fuentes. OK. He's Spanish, he's closeby, he speaks the lingo, he has contacts in spanish sport.

But where on earth would Basso get the idea and/or information to contact Fuentes?!! He's with a Danish managed team, he spends time there in training, he obviously trains a lot in Italy, he didnt even race in Spain last year for god's sake. Does he have a personal trainer that might be Spanish. Only person I can think of is Sastre. It just doesn't make sense.

And the same for Ullrich, unless Pevenage was running errands for him.

wicklow200 said:
Yes it was a strange timing, just when people were getting excited about Dekker's chances in doing a good Tour.

What I don't understand is the non-spanish names riding for non-Spanish teams - Basso, Ullrich I suppose, plus Pantani

I can understand that a whole Spanish team would be serviced by Fuentes. OK. He's Spanish, he's closeby, he speaks the lingo, he has contacts in spanish sport.

But where on earth would Basso get the idea and/or information to contact Fuentes?!! He's with a Danish managed team, he spends time there in training, he obviously trains a lot in Italy, he didnt even race in Spain last year for god's sake. Does he have a personal trainer that might be Spanish. Only person I can think of is Sastre. It just doesn't make sense.

Perhaps it has more to do with the location of the doctor ...as opposed to the rider. I think I read that Spain doesn't have any laws regarding doping? Aren't they going after this doctor for something regarding "endangering health"? Just a thought.

wicklow200 said:

It makes even less sense since he rode for Fassa B. in his previous years, which is an Italian team also, and at the moment I can't think of any Spanish riders on that team. Definately a head scratcher....

Capt.Injury said:
It makes even less sense since he rode for Fassa B. in his previous years, which is an Italian team also, and at the moment I can't think of any Spanish riders on that team. Definately a head scratcher....
Basso and Riis lied that Basso doesn't have a connection with Chechini anymore, Basso still had (information from T.Dekker who all over sudden had no good results anymore after Fuentes was arrested..)

cyclingheroes said:
Basso and Riis lied that Basso doesn't have a connection with Chechini anymore, Basso still had (information from T.Dekker who all over sudden had no good results anymore after Fuentes was arrested..)
CSC ended working with Cecchini almost 2 years ago when it was found out that Cecchini also worked with the main competitors such as Ullrich, Cuneco and others. Even that, Cecchini has never functioned as a doctor for any of his clients, the teams has their own doctors for that purpose. He has functioned as a trainer. I think The Cecchini-Fuentes conspiracy has been highly exaggerated by the media.

Prano said:
CSC ended working with Cecchini almost 2 years ago when it was found out that Cecchini also worked with the main competitors such as Ullrich, Cuneco and others.
Yes that's the official version...

cyclingheroes said:
Yes that's the official version...
Your are right... But do you have any links or evidence for the "unofficial" version..

Am not sure about anything right now.. But if it is suggested that Cecchini is guilty the number one target is Ullrich..

cyclingheroes said:
It's in the Dutch magazin "Fiets", number 6, June 2006.
I don't speak Dutch, what does it say about CSC and Cecchini still working together despite Riis and Basso claiming the opposite?.

wicklow200 said:

They're all connected through Checchini, Basso, Ullrich et al all have history with the guy.

I wonder about the logistics of it all and some of it just doesn't seem plausible. If Basso and Ullrich are receiving transfusions during the Giro, how on earth does no one know about it? These two are the most closely watched riders in the peloton. You need equipment and at least 1-2 hours to do a transfusion. Isn't anyone suspicious at all of someone walking into a rider's room with a cooler and a bag of medical equipment? Also, there doesn't seem to be any evidence of Basso or Ullrich actually visiting Fuentes. Where and how are they getting the blood taken out and how is it making its way to Spain?

I'm surprised the media hasn't caught a whiff of this before and I'm surprised no disgruntled employee has spilled the beans before this.

Don't believe a word of it. The Italian press has been out to make Pantani the monster for years. Then after destroying him, they try to build up a new hero (Cunego) but that doesn' work out. But low and behold Basso develops into a world class cyclist. So they have the diversion they seek. They can now pump up the new clean ciclismo. HA HA it was just not to be. Better go on damage control. Let's shoot some more at Pantani. After all he is dead and can't shoot back. In fact when he was alive he was helpless against our onslaught. (Insert sinister laugh here)

Enjoy the tour anyway. At least enjoy it as best as can.

DiabloScott said:
Pantani's name was on the original short list from last week. Most of the names were active riders, plus a few sancioned riders (Hamilton, Perez, Heras, Gonzales-Galdeano) and Plaza who's retired. Seems like everyone on the list had raced in the last two years except for Marco... that seemed odd; should be a steady stream of names over the years. Maybe they're holding back the older ones but figured there wasn't any risk in releasing Pantani's name since he can't protest.

ilpirata said:
Don't believe a word of it. The Italian press has been out to make Pantani the monster for years. Then after destroying him, they try to build up a new hero (Cunego) but that doesn' work out. But low and behold Basso develops into a world class cyclist. So they have the diversion they seek. They can now pump up the new clean ciclismo. HA HA it was just not to be. Better go on damage control. Let's shoot some more at Pantani. After all he is dead and can't shoot back. In fact when he was alive he was helpless against our onslaught. (Insert sinister laugh here)

Enjoy the tour anyway. At least enjoy it as best as can.
Doesn't it seem odd that both big contenders are both doping, at the same doctor, at the same time - and not know about the other? Or know and keep quiet, and no attempt to snitch on each other somehow, either?

It's just...weird.

If that's how it works (both of them keeping quiet) it's just warped.

Prano said:
I don't speak Dutch, what does it say about CSC and Cecchini still working together despite Riis and Basso claiming the opposite?.
Nothing. It is an article about T.Dekker training in Italy. There are pictures with T.Dekker, Jörg jaksche, Tyler Hamilton, Chichi and Chechini on a trainingsride. Dekkers says Chechini is training Basso and Ullrich. The reporter met Chechini and T.Dekker in a hotel, in the same hotel where the CSC team stayed during the stage of that day in the Giro (2006).

Oh NO!!
Pantani doped???
I am shocked!!!!
Where will it end?!?!?!

:rolleyes: