Pantani watch, day 5

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, May 14, 2003.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Stage 5, Messina - Catane, 176km
    1. Petacchi 4:54:43 ...
    2. Pantani s.t.

    GC
    3. Petacchi ...
    4. Pantani +1:16

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 14 May 2003 18:14:52 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    >GC
    > 1. Petacchi ...
    >11. Pantani +1:16

    Your daily posts are exciting for a big fan like me, but can you include the other GC hopefuls, for
    a clearer picture? Thanks.

    Thanks, ED.

  3. Robert Chung <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws [email protected]

    > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > On Wed, 14 May 2003 18:14:52 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    > > >GC
    > > > 1. Petacchi ...
    > > >11. Pantani +1:16
    > >
    > > Your daily posts are exciting for a big fan like me, but can you include the other GC hopefuls,
    > > for a clearer picture? Thanks.
    > >
    > > Thanks, ED.

    Garzelli gained 27 seconds by winning a stage, but otherwise there is little difference between him
    and the others. Simoni has an advantage of 12 seconds (I think), Frigo, Rumsas and Gonzalez are a
    bit behind. Ze zitten elkaar op de hielen, in proper Smeetsiaans.

    > I considered that but in the end decided that it would dilute the focus
    that
    > Marco so richly deserves. I thought it might be a bit much even to mention the stage winner and GC
    > leader, so you should be thankful I've gone as far as this. Besides, are there any GC hopefuls
    > that matter in comparison to
    Il
    > Pirata? Too bad they don't let him wear the bandana. It's kind of hard to spot him in that
    > anonymous helmet. I see marketing opportunities, rather like those buses that are plastered with
    > advertising. Marco should be
    using
    > a helmet that's painted like a bandana.
    >
    > I still get cognitive dissonance whenever I see a Mercatone Uno jersey
    near
    > the front.

    Good thing you weren't in the Czech Republic yesterday. The shock could have been too much.

  4. Joe Yannie <[email protected]> schreef in berichtnieuws
    [email protected]
    > Actually, I get confused between Garzelli's team (Vini
    Caldirola-something)
    > and Pantani's. They both have similar uniforms. I think there is another team that also has
    > yellow, or mostly yellow uniforms.

    Tenax, but they're actually a light yellowish-green kind of color.

    > Every time I think Garzelli is up near the front, it turns out to be Pantani.

    There's a spotting problem that would not be resolved by removing the helmets. Pantani has stooped
    shoulders and wears his helmet quite close to his glasses.

    > Damn those helmets....I can't tell the bald guy from the nearly bald guy.

    They're both bald, and they both shave their heads. Garzelli less often than Pantani, judging from
    the dark stubbles on the back of his head - more visible every day.

    Jonathan.