Pantani will win the Tour!

Steven L. Sheff

Guest
With his new aerodynamic profile, how can he lose?????

----

Cycing-Pantani fixes ears in new look for a new start

By Stephen Farrand

ASTI, Italy, Feb 15 (Reuters) - Former Tour de France winner Marco Pantani has undergone cosmetic
surgery to pin back the large earlobes that earned him the nickname "Dumbo" as he aims to make a
comeback this year with his new team.

Pantani, who is currently suspended, unveiled his new look while still wearing bandages on his
right ear at the official presentation of his new Mercatone Uno-Scanavino team in Asti, near Milan,
on Saturday.

The 32-year-old Italian said he had overcome the psychological problems afflicting him since being
disqualified from the 1999 Giro d'Italia when a blood test revealed he had a high haematocrit level
and was confident about the year ahead.

"After two years in the dark, I'm ready to make a comeback," he told reporters.

"I almost quit but there was something inside me which wouldn't let me and which pushes me to carry
on. I've realised you have to be positive in life. If you see everything in a negative aspect,
there's something wrong.

"I've rediscovered the psychological determination I need to race and now think positively. In the
past few years I was never angry about what was happening to me but now I am and want to get rid of
my anger on my bike."

Pantani is suspended until May 19 after Italian police found a used insulin syringe in the room
Pantani allegedly slept in during the 2001 Giro d'Italia.

He has appealed against the ban and will know next week if the ban is to be reduced. If that happens
Pantani said he would start racing again at the Clasica de Almeria in Spain on March 2.

Pantani described his ear operation as "a minor act of physical violence which symbolises having the
serenity to look at myself in the mirror and being ready to make changes in his life."

His ears had inspired American rival and four-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong to call
him Dumbo after the Walt Disney cartoon elephant.

Updated at Sat, Feb 15 2003, 11:18am ET

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

>From: "Steven L. Sheffield" [email protected]

>With his new aerodynamic profile, how can he lose?????

<snip>

>Pantani, who is currently suspended, unveiled his new look while still wearing bandages on his
>right ear at the official presentation of his new Mercatone Uno-Scanavino team in Asti, near Milan,
>on Saturday.

<snip>

>He has appealed against the ban and will know next week if the ban is to be reduced. If that
>happens Pantani said he would start racing again at the Clasica de Almeria in Spain on March 2.

I hope they lift the ban. The world could use some comic relief about now. Bill C.

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 15:23:17 +0000, Steven L. Sheffield wrote:

> "I've rediscovered the psychological determination I need to race and now think positively.

If anyone needed to think more negatively about his racing chances I would think it would be 'the
Great Pantani'

You mean if they lift it for him and they don't lift it for others. He won while the drugs were
banned. Let's not forget that. He can't win without cheating apparently. Look at the years he was
prominent. He was a star right smack in the middle of the peak of drug use (94-99).

"Tom Arsenault" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Cyrus) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Check out his picture at http://www.radsportnews.com/
> >
> > You wouldn't believe it's him!
>
> Pantani sucks. Without his cheating ways, he'll never be a viable rider again. Now if the UCI
> lifts the ban on doping, he's good to go. But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

>pantani sucks bad!
>

>--
>Rock hard with a purpose Got a mind that won't bend Die-hard resolution That is true to the end

Maybe if Pantani and Simoni both put their horsepower together, then they could win the tour!!