Pantani's Ears

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Bates, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Noticed in a newspaper pinned above a urinal today that Pantani has had his ears flatenned by
    surgery to make him more aerodynamic.

    I thought it was so amusing I nearly missed the pot!

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

    Tags:

  2. On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:35:47 +0000, Richard Bates
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Noticed in a newspaper pinned above a urinal today that Pantani has had his ears flatenned by
    >surgery to make him more aerodynamic.
    >
    >I thought it was so amusing I nearly missed the pot!

    Ewoud posted this link to the pics in another NG

    http://www.radsportnews.com/images/pantani2003ohren.jpg

    up there with Museeuw's "hair"

    Cheers! Stephen

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 18:35:47 +0000, Richard Bates
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Noticed in a newspaper pinned above a urinal today that Pantani has had his ears flatenned by
    > >surgery to make him more aerodynamic.
    > >
    > >I thought it was so amusing I nearly missed the pot!
    >
    > Ewoud posted this link to the pics in another NG
    >
    > http://www.radsportnews.com/images/pantani2003ohren.jpg
    >
    > up there with Museeuw's "hair"

    I thought this was a real wind-up until I read this:
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/cycling/news/2003/02/15/pantani_ears/

    Extract: "ASTI, Italy (Reuters) -- Former Tour de France winner Marco Pantani has undergone cosmetic
    surgery to pin back the large earlobes that earned him the nickname "Dumbo" as he aims to make a
    comeback this year with his new team.

    Pantani, who is currently suspended, unveiled his new look while still wearing bandages on his
    right ear at the official presentation of his new Mercatone Uno-Scanavino team in Asti, near Milan,
    on Saturday.

    Pantani described his ear operation as "a minor act of physical violence which symbolizes having the
    serenity to look at myself in the mirror and being ready to make changes in his life."

    His ears had inspired American rival and four-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong to call
    him Dumbo after the Walt Disney cartoon elephant." <ends>

    So we won't be seeing Pantani 'flying' up the mountains again then ;-)

    Not that he could without assistance from dru....

    John B

  4. ecce_ecce

    ecce_ecce New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2003
    Whats the story with Museeuw's hair ? :confused:

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Noticed in a newspaper pinned above a urinal today that Pantani has had his ears flatenned by
    > surgery to make him more aerodynamic.

    Ears are never going to be *that* aerodynamic. It would be better to have the external ear removed
    altogether and a small amplifier inserted flush into the hole to make up for the consequent
    hearing loss.

    Colin

  6. ecce_ecce

    ecce_ecce New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2003
  7. In news:[email protected], Richard Bates
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > Noticed in a newspaper pinned above a urinal today that Pantani has had his ears flatenned by
    > surgery to make him more aerodynamic.
    >
    > I thought it was so amusing I nearly missed the pot!

    Last year one of the cycling mags (I think it was Cycling Weekly) [1] reported that following
    placing a picture of Pantani on the cover (in yellow cycling gear), they received a letter from
    Sacha Baron-Cohen's lawyers, complaining that they had used an unauthorised picture of *Ali G*

    It could be a joke - but it seemed so bizzare ( and I could see how from a distance the mistake
    could be made) that I guess it is probably true

    Alex
    [1] I don't normally buy the mag but there were a load of back issues formerly in the reception of
    one of the buildings I work at - which no-one was reading and they were "making the place look
    untidy". So a few words with the security guards and they were mine ;)

  8. >Alex
    >[1] I don't normally buy the mag but there were a load of back issues formerly in the reception of
    > one of the buildings I work at - which no-one was reading and they were "making the place look
    > untidy". So a few words with the security guards and they were mine ;)

    It doesn't make you a bad person. Tip - sometimes it's easier to blame a "friend" - as in "I don't
    normally buy The S*n but a friend had a copy and........"

    Cheers! Stephen

  9. ecce_ecce

    ecce_ecce New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2003
    I would like to make it clear that I've never bought playboy or the sunday sport