pantani's stage win- not ventoux

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Remove The Poli

it wasn't Ventoux- I don't knwo stage name - somebody out there does. Pantani and Lance dropped
everyone else, and P kept surging- eventually Lance said "F$%# this' and didn't go with a surge; and
Pantani went on to win the stage decisively to absolutely screaming French fans. That was the
funnest part, they were just howling. (As a fringe benefit I think P was riding Campy)

He didn't start the next day reporting diarreah. Lucky thing smarter, more cautious people don't do
stupid short-sighted things like drop Lance on a climb, cause they know to preserve their energy for
the big important things.

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:18:27 +0200, Jonathan v.d. Sluis wrote:
>> it wasn't Ventoux- I don't knwo stage name - somebody out there does.
>
>Courchevel?

Yes. From http://www.letour.fr/2003/presentationfr/retro.html

Palmarès de Marco PANTANI (Italie) 5 Participations (1 Victoire) 8 Victoires d'Etape

1994 3ème

1995 13ème

* 2 victoires d'étape : o Etape 10 : Aime - L'Alpe d'Huez o Etape 14 : Saint Orens de G. -
Guzet Neige

1997 3ème
* 2 victoires d'étape : o Etape 13 : Saint-Etienne - L'Alpe d'Huez o Etape 15 :
Courchevel - Morzine

1998 1er
* A remporté le maillot jaune
* 2 victoires d'étape : o Etape 11 : Luchon - Plateau de Beille o Etape 15 : Grenoble - Les
Deux Alpes

2000 n.c.
* 2 victoires d'étape : o Etape 12 : Carpentras - Mont Ventoux o Etape 15 : Briançon -
Courchevel

http://www.cyclingnews.com/results/2000/jul00/tdfrance00/stages/tdfrance00st15r.shtml

Pantani went on a boomerang attack the next day (off the front for most of the race, then waaaay off
the back for the rest) then was DNS the following day with diarrhea. Later on it was verbal diarrhea
as the war of words with Armstrong began. See, Pantani's attack on stage 16 was the day of the
infamous Armstrong bonk on the Joux-Plane, and that made Lance all grumpy and then the two of them
got in a very prolonged and funny snit. That was also the day where Roberto Heras almost won but
crashed into the barriers when he overcooked a turn near the finish... Ahh. Memories...

Status
Not open for further replies.