Pantour hubs (was plans for suspended LWB?)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by bikeman, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. bikeman

    bikeman Guest

    Thanks to meb and PaPa for your responses. I'll need a final project for my welding class, so wood
    and carbon just won't do. I like the ride of a tour easy, and have really detailed plans for one,
    but is is not suspended. Since I'll sink some $$ into this, I want a super plush luxo-mobile that I
    can ride for miles of smiles.

    Does anybody have any experience with the Pantour suspended hubs? Especially anybody over 200 lbs?
    I'm not looking to make a gonzo MTB, so .5 to 1 inch of travel may be enough, if it really works and
    does not increase rolling resistance. Comments? Thanks. Dan

    Tags:

  2. PaPa

    PaPa New Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    I certainly don't wish to wrinkle your wish list, but, home-brew suspension on any hpv is no piece-a-cake. Cost aside, alignment difficulties alone are a teeth clencher. And I seriously doubt you'll be pleased with the end results - considering the added weight. If persistance prevails, here's a link for rear the MTB suspension assy and shocks. Just click the "frame" button on left side of the home page. (I no experience with them). http://destinyparts.com/

    Although Pantour has its followers, I'm not one of them. Others here can help in that arena.

  3. Gene Whittle

    Gene Whittle Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Does anybody have any experience with the Pantour suspended hubs? Especially anybody over 200 lbs?
    > I'm not looking to make a gonzo MTB, so .5 to 1 inch of travel may be enough, if it really works
    > and does not increase rolling resistance. Comments? Thanks. Dan

    Bikeman...

    I have around 18 months (abt 7-8k miles) of experience with two Pantour front hubs. I recommend
    them highly.

    The first one was unfortunately crunched in an accident and used the firmer of the two elastomers.
    The soft/firm cutoff is 200 pounds and I'm usually around 195. Mine is used alternately between a
    V-Rex and a HepCat where the front wheel is lightly loaded so I asked for the softer elastomer on
    the replacement and like it best.

    With a Pantour front hub one can mount a narrow high pressure tire (I use a Stelvio) and lose the
    jittery ride that goes with that type tire. Control on less than smooth surfaces is helped greatly
    as the tire stays on the pavement rather than bouncing around.

    The only negative I've found is that my hub will generate a creak that sounds like it's coming from
    the crank if its skewer is not kept tight. Took weeks of frustration to discover this.

    Gene Whittle Gatesville, Texas

  4. landon2

    landon2 Guest

    I ride a Hepcat with a Pantour front hub as well, and I'm extremely pleased. Though the amount of
    travel is small, it does make a difference on my bike. I'm 200 lbs, and have had no issues with it.
    Getting the brakes adjusted was a little tricky at first.

    I've had it about 6 months, and about 2 months ago I started hearing this "tick, tick, tick" some
    where up front. At first I thought I had a BB problem, but it continues when I quit pedalling. I got
    to thinking I had a spoke problem and have lubricated the spots where the spokes cross on the wheel-
    no change (spokes are all tight). I'm curious about your 'creak' you discovered with the hub.
    Exactly how did it sound? What's causing it? I can't duplicate the sound when I have the bike on a
    stand. People tell me they can hear it when riding next to me, but can't pinpoint it. Any help is
    appreciated.

    Chuck

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 05:46:40 -0600, Gene Whittle <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Does anybody have any experience with the Pantour suspended hubs? Especially anybody over 200
    >> lbs? I'm not looking to make a gonzo MTB, so .5 to 1 inch of travel may be enough, if it really
    >> works and does not increase rolling resistance. Comments? Thanks. Dan
    >
    >Bikeman...
    >
    >I have around 18 months (abt 7-8k miles) of experience with two Pantour front hubs. I recommend
    >them highly.
    >
    >The first one was unfortunately crunched in an accident and used the firmer of the two elastomers.
    >The soft/firm cutoff is 200 pounds and I'm usually around 195. Mine is used alternately between a
    >V-Rex and a HepCat where the front wheel is lightly loaded so I asked for the softer elastomer on
    >the replacement and like it best.
    >
    >With a Pantour front hub one can mount a narrow high pressure tire (I use a Stelvio) and lose the
    >jittery ride that goes with that type tire. Control on less than smooth surfaces is helped greatly
    >as the tire stays on the pavement rather than bouncing around.
    >
    >The only negative I've found is that my hub will generate a creak that sounds like it's coming from
    >the crank if its skewer is not kept tight. Took weeks of frustration to discover this.
    >
    >Gene Whittle Gatesville, Texas

  5. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    There have been an overwhelming number of Kudos from Pantour front hub users, with some small reports of $6 elastomers wearing out and some hubs that weren't lubricated properly. Green light, just check for lubing and expect to replace the elastomers.

    Lots of problems with the rears. They 've done some reenginering to correct those problems including using stronger bearings. Wait till they get the teething problems worked out on the rears.

    Alternatively, you could try adapting a mountain bike style triangle chain stay assembly to the rear of the Tour Easy.

  6. PaPa

    PaPa New Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2003
    Sure you can.... but I wouldn't recommend it unless an elastomer is used to minimize swing arm travel distance (ala Fold Rush). Another crucial issue I failed to mention earlier is; Chain line management should be well thoughtout in advance to avoid "pogo-ing". Not unlike the Termite Taxi, the chain line needs to intersect, at, or slightly below the swing arm pivot point (This is especially important in lower gears). Not an easy trick to do.

  7. Dave Kee

    Dave Kee Guest

    meb wrote: There have been an overwhelming number of Kudos from Pantour front hub users, with some
    small reports of $6 elastomers wearing out and some hubs that weren't lubricated properly. Green
    light, just check for lubing and expect to replace the elastomers.

    Lots of problems with the rears. They 've done some reenginering to correct those problems including
    using stronger bearings. Wait till they get the teething problems worked out on the rears.

    I agree with meb. My rear Pantour hub is now on its second trip back to California. It still wobbles
    after replacing the bearings twice. Absolutely no problems with the front hub. I still think the
    folks at Pantour are great, but the rear hub is a work in progress. Maybe this time.

    Dave Kee Dual 26 Wishbone

  8. Gene Whittle

    Gene Whittle Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I'm curious about your 'creak' you discovered with the hub. Exactly how did it sound? What's
    > causing it? I can't duplicate the sound when I have the bike on a stand. People tell me they can
    > hear it when riding next to me, but can't pinpoint it. Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Chuck

    Chuck...

    The creak was exactly what you would have expected from a crank with a loose fastener or bottom
    bracket cups that needed some grease on the threads or some tightening. On every push with the right
    foot the thing would creak which is what made me so sure it was in the crank. One day on
    reinstalling the wheel after fixing a flat I tightened the skewer nut a little more than usual and
    the creak went away. The creak came back a few months later but a
    1/8 turn on the skewer nut fixed it.

    Your "tick-tick" sounds like it could indeed be in the hub. Have you checked those side plates to be
    sure one isn't dragging on the hub? That would be easy to fix. Aside from something catastrophic
    like a cracked race there's not much to go wrong with those hubs.

    Gene Whittle Gatesville, Texas