Pants Or Leg-warmers

I like tights myself. Comfort reasons. I find leg warmers move around on me and sometimes slide away from my shorts. But we only deal with temps here with a low of 35. So the really cold places might have a different preference for other reasons.

I always wear tights and have not tried leg warmers. I feel more comfortable and convenient wearing tights I put it on and forget about it. I think it would be distracting for me to wear leg warmers or I just need to get used to them.

Tights and some really comfortable pants for sure. Leg warmers just simply not convenient i imagine.

Depends on season and length of ride.

For the spring/autumn commutes when temperature can differ considerably between morning and afternoon, leg- and arm warmers are actually quite handy. Takes a little less space than carrying a short set to change into.

But once temperatures have stabilized, I use tights instead.

What mpre53 & dabac said.

The choice depends on temperature, expected temperature rise or fall and the length of the ride.

I most likely use just sweat pants and I don't need any warming device since it gets warm after a while. However if the weather is colder, then I just put more thicker pants to avoid coldness.

cycle93 said:
Tights and some really comfortable pants for sure. Leg warmers just simply not convenient i imagine.
You're imagining wrong. Leg warmers are more convenient than tights. You can remove them once it warms up, fold them up, and they'll fit easily in a jersey pocket.

What mpre53, dabac, and CampyBob said. I now have Nashbar leg warmers. They have zippers at the bottom of each leg, I can unzip them and they do come off pretty easily. I'm not sure about the convenience thing: you really ought to take your shoes off before getting the leg warmers off. That is true for knee warmers too.

My knee warmers (the Gore brand) and arm warmers (Nashbar brand) keep me toasty once I am riding with a will. Add a base layer under my jersey and possibly a gilet and I'll sweat for sure. I did this morning.

Thanks a ton

Bob

mpre53 said:
You're imagining wrong. Leg warmers are more convenient than tights. You can remove them once it warms up, fold them up, and they'll fit easily in a jersey pocket.
I find tights more convenient because I don't have to remove them and put them in my jersey. I can ride with tights in temps of 80 degrees so there is nothing to remove. :lol:

Same with under layers. I can go climb 5000 ft in 90 degree temps. I have many times as protection from bees. :eek:

Of course your results may vary but if I start a ride at 35 degrees and it later hits 80, it's not a problem to just keep them on. ^_^

I usually just wear tights, but if it's extra cold out sometimes I'll wear an extra pair of pants over top. It gets really cold and icy here in the winter so I try to layer my clothes so I can stay warm enough without getting overheated.

Tights, pretty deliberate about choosing shorts or tights. Most of the time it's shorts, but if it is cold enough for covered legs, probably not going to change them out.

There's no need to wear leg warmers in my neck of the woods. We only have mild winters and I'll sweat profusely if I cycle at least 30 minutes with leg warmers on. However, I would wear them if I was cycling in much colder climate. A snug pair of pants seem to be just fine for my winter cycling though.

Mr. Beanz said:
I find tights more convenient because I don't have to remove them and put them in my jersey. I can ride with tights in temps of 80 degrees so there is nothing to remove. :lol:

Same with under layers. I can go climb 5000 ft in 90 degree temps. I have many times as protection from bees. :eek:

Of course your results may vary but if I start a ride at 35 degrees and it later hits 80, it's not a problem to just keep them on. ^_^
After 50 miles at 80 degrees, I have enough caked salt on my body to season a jumbo bag of popcorn. :lol:

And swamp crotch/butt? Put a pair of tights over that and I'd squish when I got off the bike and walked. :eek: :blink: ;)

mpre53 said:
After 50 miles at 80 degrees, I have enough caked salt on my body to season a jumbo bag of popcorn. :lol:
:eek: ........... :lol: :D :lol:

dabac said:
Depends on season and length of ride.

For the spring/autumn commutes when temperature can differ considerably between morning and afternoon, leg- and arm warmers are actually quite handy. Takes a little less space than carrying a short set to change into.

But once temperatures have stabilized, I use tights instead.
I like this advice.

I ended up getting some leg warmers, so I can get used to the ever so rapidly changing autumn weather here in Rochester, NY, and not worry about overheating. I can just slide them off if I feel I've dressed too warm.

As temperatures keep dropping, I'll be feeling out the weather in anticipation of getting a nice pair of thermal pants/tights.

Did 50 miles today in my new leg warmers and I'm very pleased!