Pants Worn Out By Saddle

gofearstan

Jun 30, 2015
My pants will get holes by rubbing on the saddle riding. Anyone has dealt with this issue? Getting really tired of having to constantly buy new pants JUST because of this

Me too. I now wear bike shorts on the ride in and change into pants when I get there. It's an eleven mile ride, so the bike shorts are more comfortable and much cooler on the ride home, too.

Cheap pants? Cheap seat? bad fit? a combination of all 3? I use a variety of bikes, seats, and clothing without that issue.
First step should be to identify the root of problem.

I have some cheap polyester cargo shorts, I think from Kohl's, which have a couple worn spots from my previous saddle. I recently changed to a saddle that is a bit narrower and doesn't flare out as sharply at the sit bone areas, so I'm not sure if it would wear pants any less or not. My other shorts that I normally wear on casual rides aren't worn like those polyester ones are.

synthetics wear longer than natural sources , Wool & Cotton .. poly-cotton blends are a compromise ..

Jersey knit has more Give than Woven fabrics .. I like and often wear, black, track suit warmup trousers,

.. a polyester fleece with a nylon surface..

if you're riding in clothes not intentionally made for riding, that's a risk you'll have to accept. Some non-bicycle stuff will survive, some won't. It's all guesswork and gamble. All that can be said for certain is that a maker of generic clothes WON'T do much abrasion testing of the fabrics that are used.
If you ride far enough for wear to matter, then you're ALSO riding far enough for bike shorts to make sense for other reasons.

gofearstan said:
My pants will get holes by rubbing on the saddle riding. Anyone has dealt with this issue? Getting really tired of having to constantly buy new pants JUST because of this
Something isn't right, get some decent shorts and/or a decent seat.

When the butt of your pants have markings created by the saddle, that means something is wrong either with your pants or with the saddle. More like it is the saddle that has a problem. Check the surface if it is rough, check the position particularly the inclination. Other than that, I cannot think some other reasons for that mark in your pants.

It's pretty much common where there's a possibility for friction. You may try changing a saddle to a more smooth one and some biking shorts.

If the surface of your saddle is smooth it shouldn't cause this problem. An older bike that I once owned had a embossed pattern on the saddle which was stitched in. This wore out the bottom part of my pants pretty quick. A friend of mine suggested that I change the seat to one which has a smooth surface. I did this and have never experienced this problem again. I ensure that every bike I purchase comes with a smooth saddle.

I've never experienced the problem of my pants wearing out from friction with the saddle, but I have had several pairs of jeans split open at the crotch area when trying to get on and once when I was riding some ways from home.

Since then I would strongly recommend to never ride a bike with jeans on.

After thousands of miles of cycling I have developed a crack in my butt. My bibs are still fine.

Every ones body and physique is unique. My inner thighs do rub on the saddle rails, but then I also have meaty thighs, I wear Endura Singletrack shorts and they havent worn though even after a couple of thousand miles. So consider some good quality shorts instead of pants/jeans/normal shorts.

It does not bother me if the pants or shorts had been with me for too long and they might need a replacement by now. Maybe you are creating too much friction between your pants or shorts against the saddle. I never had that issue and I am just using just about anything that is available for me.