Pants?

andrew wrote:

> After a long ride cotton ones seem so soggy its like wearing a nappy.
>
> Is there a more comfy solution? Commando is an obvious one.

On a saddle I find a padded short with nae knickers the best way. However, if you're not on a trip
where you want to wear padded shorts then a decent pair of pants in a wicking fabric from your local
outdoor shop will do considerably better than cotton. Some folk prefer pants under padded shorts, in
which case a decent pair of wicking ones will still be substantially better than cotton.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Toby Barrett wrote:
>> (mental trauma from seeing a metallic silver Lycra pair for sale).
>
> Now they sound cool. Where?

Carnaby street? ;-)

--
StainlessSteelRat "If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst
that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever." -- Woody Allen

"Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Not every male likes the shoulder straps.

...especially with off-the shoulder dresses.

I'll get me coat.

I tell you what, though: I really cannot understand clear plastic shoulder straps.

Mal wrote:
> Er, at the risk of Christ knows what . . . why on earth would a male choose waisted shorts, other
> than perhaps financial reasons?

Not every male likes the shoulder straps.

~PB

Geraint Jones wrote:

> "Pete Biggs" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Not every male likes the shoulder straps.
>
> ...especially with off-the shoulder dresses.

Don't you find your dress gets caught in the chainring?

Unless you're into minis ;-)))))

John B

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote in news:3EACEF8F.5030708 @dundee.ac.uk:

> On a saddle I find a padded short with nae knickers the best way.

And a fur coat at the same time by any chance? Or are you not from the
pseudo-posh side of Dundee (does it have one?) ;-)

Have fun!

Graeme

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:05:19 +0100, [email protected] (marc) wrote:

>You're wrong , the spawn of satan are carrier bags on Cub camps!

Carrier bags, yes. But wellies are worse. Guides wear wellies at camp. I used to s**t bricks
watching them carry pans of boiling water in flapping wellies - and nothing on Earth would persuade
the guides or guiders that they were courting disaster :-/

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

StainlessSteelRat wrote:

> I'm a big fan of bibbed shorts, but the Mr. Muscle bits are hidden under T-shirts 'n stuff. Shame
> I can't get a thinner pair as I could hide my fat stomach when I go on dates!

Its a bugger if you cop off and have to get rid of them or explain the strange underwear.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

AndyMorris wrote:
>> I'm a big fan of bibbed shorts, but the Mr. Muscle bits are hidden under T-shirts 'n stuff. Shame
>> I can't get a thinner pair as I could hide my fat stomach when I go on dates!
>
> Its a bugger if you cop off and have to get rid of them or explain the strange underwear.

Yes but once you've got that far, she has to go through with it :) Especially if they're
silver ones!

I can just see it now as you release the shoulder holders, and the stomach flubs out :)

--
StainlessSteelRat Melissa: Hi, I'm Melissa Robinson. Ace Ventura: Pleasure to meet you. Melissa:
Did you have any trouble getting in? Ace Ventura: No, the guy with the rubber glove was

Graeme wrote:

> And a fur coat at the same time by any chance? Or are you not from the
> pseudo-posh side of Dundee (does it have one?) ;-)

That depends if you think "West Ferry" is a construction of people pretending they stay in Broughty
Ferry rather than Dundee, or if it's actually part of Broughty Ferry... I suspect the former! ;-)

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Because they are foul objects - spawn of satan -
> >
> >You're wrong , the spawn of satan are carrier bags on Cub camps!
>
> Both are possibly equally bad. But the paving slab fairy would *never* slab a Cub :)

I got close on Sunday.

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:05:19 +0100, [email protected] (marc) wrote:
>
> >You're wrong , the spawn of satan are carrier bags on Cub camps!
>
> Carrier bags, yes. But wellies are worse. Guides wear wellies at camp. I used to s**t bricks
> watching them carry pans of boiling water in flapping wellies - and nothing on Earth would
> persuade the guides or guiders that they were courting disaster :-/

Interesting problem. Wellies are the ideal choice of footwear for such an event (eg no problems
with mud/water - why cavers use them), or sandals if it's warm. Both suffer if you pour boiling
water around.

cheers, clive

Clive George wrote:

> Interesting problem. Wellies are the ideal choice of footwear for such an event (eg no problems
> with mud/water - why cavers use them), or sandals if it's warm. Both suffer if you pour boiling
> water around.

Wellies are vastly underrated IMHO. Not much fun if you pour boiling water *in* them, but if you
pour it *on* them I'd sooner be in them than trainers or the like. Moral: be careful with boiling
water in any case.

Few years ago the Uni mountaineering club was having its Freshers' day meet to Arrochar (not
renowned for dry underfoot conditions at the best of times, and it wasn't the best of times) and I
showed up in wellies. Caused quite a bit of mirth for some reason when I put them on at the start of
the day (apparently they're not "proper" boots), but at the end of it when I was one of very few
people with dry feet rather less criticism came my way... (last year played the same game in
sandals: feet got soaked, dried out in a few minutes. Apparently they're not "proper" either, much
better I should have feet that get wet and stay that way)

Big problem with wellies, of course, is you can't get SPuD compatible versions :-(

"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Big problem with wellies, of course, is you can't get SPuD compatible versions :-(

something I have considered :)

For me the main problems are with walking distances. Neoprene socks seem to work best (normal ones
slip down) and you have to have something covering your calf! All learned while slogging up/down
various hills to go underground (or canyonning).

cheers, clive

Clive George wrote:

> For me the main problems are with walking distances. Neoprene socks
seem to
> work best (normal ones slip down) and you have to have something covering your calf! All learned
> while slogging up/down various hills to go underground (or canyonning).

It was caving that re-educated me welly-wise, and showed me in no uncertain terms that I'd been Very
Wrong about them for some time. I also find neoprene socks to work well, though something like
Sealskinz socks work quite well too. Only time I've not had something over the calf is mowing the
lawn (power driven rotating knife => steel toecaps good, tevas bad, even in the sun) which isn't a
big enough job to have shown up that particular problem.

Still very much the case that if you mention them in uk.rec.walking lots of folk think you must be
joking or trolling, even when you point out that shepherds and farmers will use them in preference
to anything else for walking around wet, muddy countryside all day.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:02:38 +0000 (UTC), "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes but once you've got that far, she has to go through with it :) Especially if they're
>silver ones!

Be afraid.

Be very afraid

<http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/mags/BMMay82_01.htm>

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> writes
>On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:42:16 +0100, "Clive George"

>>Wellies are the ideal choice of footwear for such an event (eg no problems with mud/water - why
>>cavers use them), or sandals if it's warm.
>
>Actually I reckon old-fashioned Dunlop Green Flash trainers were the best camp footwear, always
>worn without socks.

Splutter. 'Camp' as in 'camp actor' or 'camping it up'?
--
Michael MacClancy