Paoli, Pennsylvania (USA): Ad-Hoc Trail Maintainence?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by PeteCresswell, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. There's a rails-to-trails route that's been getting increasingly
    overgrown over the past few years. Seems to come from Exton and
    beyond and go to (???).

    I've got the stretch from Vanguard to North Valley Road scythed to
    where it's passable.

    The route from N.Valley to Syms is next. I've got a 48" commercial
    mower deck that would make short work of it, but nothing to haul it
    around on.

    Anybody?

    Tags:

  2. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    PeteCresswell wrote:
    > There's a rails-to-trails route that's been getting increasingly
    > overgrown over the past few years. Seems to come from Exton and
    > beyond and go to (???).
    >
    > I've got the stretch from Vanguard to North Valley Road scythed to
    > where it's passable.
    >
    > The route from N.Valley to Syms is next. I've got a 48" commercial
    > mower deck that would make short work of it, but nothing to haul it
    > around on.
    >
    > Anybody?

    Pete, do you live near Philly? If that trail is coming from Paoli, you
    better make sure the right of way was let go by Conrail. They've been
    real SOB's in South Jersey over old Pinelands rail beds.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  3. > Pete, do you live near Philly? If that trail is coming from Paoli, you
    > better make sure the right of way was let go by Conrail. They've been
    > real SOB's in South Jersey over old Pinelands rail beds.

    This is going to be one of those "forgiveness is easier to come by
    than permission" situations. My main concern is not stirring up any
    of the people who live nearby.

    Somebody who lives on one leg of it has already mown a few hundred
    yards - up to where a tree has fallen over the path. Last nite, I
    went out there with my itty-bitty folding saw and a comealong; cut the
    tree, and winched part of it so there's about four feet clearance.

    One would hope that the right-of-way is too narrow to sell to
    commercial interests....but that's what's been in the back of my mind.

    I never knew there might be right-of-way issues from ConRail....In a
    way, that's hopeful because it might explain why the project seems to
    have tome to a halt some years back. They've pulled the rails, but
    then it sort of ground to a halt.

  4. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    PeteCresswell wrote:

    >>Pete, do you live near Philly? If that trail is coming from Paoli, you
    >>better make sure the right of way was let go by Conrail. They've been
    >>real SOB's in South Jersey over old Pinelands rail beds.

    > This is going to be one of those "forgiveness is easier to come by
    > than permission" situations. My main concern is not stirring up any
    > of the people who live nearby.
    >
    > Somebody who lives on one leg of it has already mown a few hundred
    > yards - up to where a tree has fallen over the path. Last nite, I
    > went out there with my itty-bitty folding saw and a comealong; cut the
    > tree, and winched part of it so there's about four feet clearance.
    >
    > One would hope that the right-of-way is too narrow to sell to
    > commercial interests....but that's what's been in the back of my mind.
    >
    > I never knew there might be right-of-way issues from ConRail....In a
    > way, that's hopeful because it might explain why the project seems to
    > have tome to a halt some years back. They've pulled the rails, but
    > then it sort of ground to a halt.

    I am now wondering if you are on the Chester Valley Trail which goes
    from Exton to Montgomery County. That would seem to be near where you
    described. If that is the case, then this trail is not open (under
    construction), but is public land. Here is more:

    Formed in 1850 by the Philadelphia and Reading Company, the Chester
    Valley Railroad stretched 22 miles between Bridgeport and Downingtown.
    The Chester Valley Trail will Generally follow a now-abandoned rail
    corridor and will connect Chester County’s Struble Trail in Exton with
    Montgomery County’s Schuylkill River Trail in Norristown. Chester
    County is expecting to extend the Trail into Downingtown.

    The Trail is one of 16 multi use trails planned for Montgomery County.
    What makes this Trail so important is its regional significance. With
    its connection to the Schuylkill River Trail in Norristown, a visitor
    will be able to make the connection between the Chester Valley Trail for
    an easy ride East to Philadelphia or West to Valley Forge National
    Historical Park and onward to the Perkiomen Trail in Oaks.

    The Trail will take visitors over the scenic Schuylkill River in
    Norristown, a National and state Heritage river corridor, through the
    downtown shopping area of Bridgeport Borough with its various
    restaurants, art galleries, and bed and breakfast lodging opportunities,
    past the Veterans Memorial Park, and into the King of Prussia area of
    Upper Merion. Visitors will eventually be able to exit the trail on
    local streets to visit the King of Prussia Mall and other businesses
    along busy Rt. 202. Of particular note is the bridge crossing of the
    Schuylkill Expressay where the visitor can get a birds eye view of the
    fast moving traffic below. After crossing County Line Road, visitors to
    the Trail will enter Chester County for their journey to Exton and
    Downingtown.

    Visitors are encouraged to stay on the Trail unless specifically
    directed to street access points, since adjacent lands are privately owned.

    The Trail is expected to be completed between Norristown and Exton by
    the Fall of 2007. Please note that visitors should only use the
    segments that are clearly shown as completed.

    The county is winding up a two-month, $158,055 project along 3,200
    linear feet of the Chester Valley Trail. This section of the trail
    follows Route 100 behind Main Street at Exton to the rear of Wal-Mart.

    The project included paving, rebuilding the trail base, signalizing
    Route 100 and relocating telephone boxes.

    "It was more than what I would call typical paving of an old rail
    trail," said Mikowychok.

    The Chester Valley Trail, which will stretch from the Montgomery County
    line near Valley Forge to Downingtown, runs parallel to routes 30 and
    202 from the Exton Bypass. The trail, which also will connect with other
    existing or future paths in northeastern and central Chester County, is
    expected to open in two or three years.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  5. > I am now wondering if you are on the Chester Valley Trail which goes
    > from Exton to Montgomery County. That would seem to be near where you
    > described. If that is the case, then this trail is not open (under
    > construction), but is public land. Here is more:

    I think you've nailed it. Out behind the Church Farm School, I've
    seen sections that appear TB part of that - complete with "Under
    Construction" signs.

    These two sections, however, lack anything at all - but logically, I
    think the chances are high that they're part of the package....perhaps
    so far out front of current construction that nobody's even bothered
    to post them - albeit they did have significant traffic from noontime
    joggers from Vanguard's main campus....there was a little hardpack
    worn down the center until the trees fell last year.

    This all sounds *really* nice. Chester County just took a step up in
    my estimation. In my usual cynicism, I figured adjacent property
    owners would fight something like that tooth-and-nail and/or corporate
    interests would co-opt the land for their own use.

    What's the source of the citation? I'd like TB able to read more
    and/or keep track of current progress.

  6. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    PeteCresswell wrote:
    >>I am now wondering if you are on the Chester Valley Trail which goes
    >>from Exton to Montgomery County. That would seem to be near where you
    >>described. If that is the case, then this trail is not open (under
    >>construction), but is public land. Here is more:

    > I think you've nailed it. Out behind the Church Farm School, I've
    > seen sections that appear TB part of that - complete with "Under
    > Construction" signs.
    >
    > These two sections, however, lack anything at all - but logically, I
    > think the chances are high that they're part of the package....perhaps
    > so far out front of current construction that nobody's even bothered
    > to post them - albeit they did have significant traffic from noontime
    > joggers from Vanguard's main campus....there was a little hardpack
    > worn down the center until the trees fell last year.
    >
    > This all sounds *really* nice. Chester County just took a step up in
    > my estimation. In my usual cynicism, I figured adjacent property
    > owners would fight something like that tooth-and-nail and/or corporate
    > interests would co-opt the land for their own use.
    >
    > What's the source of the citation? I'd like TB able to read more
    > and/or keep track of current progress.

    Here ya go:

    http://www.montcopa.org/parks/chestervalleytrail/about_trail.htm

    Hey join us on a ride one Sunday (www.jerseyactionriders.org). French
    Creek and Blue Marsh wouldn't be too far for you.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  7. > Hey join us on a ride one Sunday (www.jerseyactionriders.org). French
    > Creek and Blue Marsh wouldn't be too far for you.

    Looks like all the Sunday rides are road rides....which means I'm
    missing something on the web page.

    Any idea when the next non-road ride somewhere near Paoli is?