Papp, Joseph

> On Sep 6, 8:20 pm, RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Landry was an excellent pro defensive back.

> And Casey Stengel played in the majors.

For what it's worth, I believe that more than a few gymnastics coaches were never
particularly good at gymnastics (if they even did them). Anyway, I think coaching and
being a good racer are two different skill sets. A coach should be able to describe
or motivate his client to be able to perform certain skills, but that doesn't really
mean they had to have been good at performing those skills themselves. They may have
known what was required to be a successful racer but simply lacked the power to
actually succeed at doing those things.

--
tanx,
Howard

Faberge eggs are elegant but I prefer Faberge bacon.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Michael Press wrote:

> The great coaches did not play the game at high levels.
> Scotty Bowman, Casey Stengal, Tom Landry to name but a few.

It could certainly be argued that Scotty *coached* at a beginning level
and as his experience grew he coached at higher and higher levels until
the NHL expansion at which time I believe he landed a coaching job with
the Blues ?

And as a Junior - Playing in Canada was certainly at a *much* higher
level than a Cat III in my opinion.

Bill

William R. Mattil wrote:
> And as a Junior - Playing in Canada was certainly at a *much* higher
> level than a Cat III in my opinion.

And Scotty topped out due to injury rather than ability. Which
worked out well because it got him started in coaching earlier.

Bob Schwartz

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:31:51 -0700, Howard Kveck <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 6, 8:20 pm, RonSonic <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> > Landry was an excellent pro defensive back.

>> And Casey Stengel played in the majors.

> For what it's worth, I believe that more than a few gymnastics coaches were never
>particularly good at gymnastics (if they even did them). Anyway, I think coaching and
>being a good racer are two different skill sets. A coach should be able to describe
>or motivate his client to be able to perform certain skills, but that doesn't really
>mean they had to have been good at performing those skills themselves. They may have
>known what was required to be a successful racer but simply lacked the power to
>actually succeed at doing those things.

That's the coach I"m looking for. The one who may not have had physical gifts,
but figured out how to do well anyway. I don't know how much of that applies in
cycling, where a smart guy makes up for a lack of physical talent. I do know
there are guys who are almost too smart for the game who are better as coaches.

Ron

Donald Munro wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>> I wouldn't equate college football with Cat 3 bike racing.

> Cat 3's do less steroids ?

College football players get paid a lot more.

I'm not so sure about the steroids thing.

Fred Fredburger wrote:
> College football players get paid a lot more.

They probably get laid a lot more too.

Donald Munro wrote:

> Donald Munro wrote:
>>> Cat 3's do less steroids ?

> Fred Fredburger wrote:
>> College football players get paid a lot more.

> They probably get laid a lot more too.

I'm not going there. Last time I went there, you brought up Tammy Thomas.

I learned MY lesson.