paramount road bike (PDG) oversized tubing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dennis Vaughn, Nov 5, 2003.

  1. I need help with my bike. I have been looking all over the net about this bike and can not find
    anything about it. It has Shimano RX100 gearing and is a steel oversized frame. It has quite a good
    ride and want to find more info about this. The Waterford site has very limited info on this bike
    and I have even sent them a e-mail requesting the year of this bike cause the serial number does not
    exist on their website. From what I can tell, this bike was made in Japan, but that is all I can
    find out. Any other info would be helpful. Thanks Dennis

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Dennis Vaughn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I need help with my bike. I have been looking all over the net about this bike and can not find
    >anything about it. It has Shimano RX100 gearing and is a steel oversized frame. It has quite a good
    >ride and want to find more info about this. The Waterford site has very limited info on this bike
    >and I have even sent them a e-mail requesting the year of this bike cause the serial number does
    >not exist on their website. From what I can tell, this bike was made in Japan, but that is all I
    >can find out.

    That means it's not a Waterford bike. Schwinn made a lot of bikes with the word "Paramount"
    printed on them somewhere, but most are not what I would call a Paramount, which (to me) implies a
    US-built hand-made frame. The Paramount brand was diluted to the max to market mass-produced bikes
    in the 90s.

    What else is it you want to know about it? There isn't much to it other than what you see, just
    another bike, not particularly special (although it may be a great ride and a faithful companion).

    --Paul

  3. Bill K.

    Bill K. Guest

    Some people called them Jappamounts. Not a terrible bike, but nothing like the "real" Paramounts. I
    don't think that you would find RX100 on a real Paramount. You can probably tell the age by the rear
    spacing. By 1992, almost all bikes had gone to 130mm rear spacing.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Dennis Vaughn wrote:

    > I need help with my bike. I have been looking all over the net about this bike and can not find
    > anything about it. It has Shimano RX100 gearing and is a steel oversized frame. It has quite a
    > good ride and want to find more info about this. The Waterford site has very limited info on this
    > bike and I have even sent them a e-mail requesting the year of this bike cause the serial number
    > does not exist on their website. From what I can tell, this bike was made in Japan, but that is
    > all I can find out. Any other info would be helpful.

    Do you need a frame repair? What do you want to know? It is a Panasonic.

  5. Bike is actually in real good shape considering the year it was put together. I was wondering about
    some history on the bike. It is quite a bit better than what I was previously riding. I was just
    wondering about the shimano group that was installed on this bike. RX-100 is probably early Sora or
    Tiagra from what I have been able to research. I am looking to upgrade this to 8 or 9 spd. "A Muzi"
    > Dennis Vaughn wrote:
    >
    > > I need help with my bike. I have been looking all over the net about
    this
    > > bike and can not find anything about it. It has Shimano RX100 gearing
    and
    > > is a steel oversized frame. It has quite a good ride and want to find more info about this. The
    > > Waterford site has very limited info on this bike and I have even sent them a e-mail requesting
    > > the year of this bike
    cause
    > > the serial number does not exist on their website. From what I can
    tell,
    > > this bike was made in Japan, but that is all I can find out. Any other info would be helpful.
    >

    > Do you need a frame repair? What do you want to know? It is a Panasonic.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  6. Dick Durbin

    Dick Durbin Guest

    [email protected] (Bill K.) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Some people called them Jappamounts. Not a terrible bike, but nothing like the "real" Paramounts.
    > I don't think that you would find RX100 on a real Paramount. You can probably tell the age by the
    > rear spacing. By 1992, almost all bikes had gone to 130mm rear spacing.

    I call mine a Pretendamount. It is built with Tange Prestige tubing and was built in either 1991 or
    1992. It came with 8 speed Ultegra (I think) components. I bought the frame from a friend because it
    was too big for him and he only wanted $150 for it. It was a good deal for both of us.

    If I were to have a custome frame built, I would have them use this frame as the pattern. It is by
    far the most comfortable, best handling bike I have ever owned. You can usually find a lot of these
    bikes on Ebay at a pretty good price.

    Dick Durbin Tallahassee

  7. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    "Dennis Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bike is actually in real good shape considering the year it was put together. I was wondering
    > about some history on the bike. It is quite a bit better than what I was previously riding. I was
    > just wondering about the shimano group that was installed on this bike. RX-100 is probably early
    > Sora or Tiagra from what I have been able to research. I am looking to upgrade this to 8 or 9 spd.

    Not sure where it was made (Asian?) but I bought an ultra small one (sloping toptube) for resale. It
    is not Waterford by any means. I took the BB apart and found the inner welds in the BB shell to have
    only been spot welded. The dropouts were cheap generic. It is terribly waste for such a fine tube
    set. The bike was very light for steel. The RX-100 group is fine. Unless you can buy it for <$300...

  8. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Dennis Vaughn" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bike is actually in real good shape considering the year it was put together. I was wondering
    > about some history on the bike. It is quite a bit better than what I was previously riding. I was
    > just wondering about the shimano group that was installed on this bike. RX-100 is probably early
    > Sora or Tiagra from what I have been able to research. I am looking to upgrade this to 8 or 9 spd.

    Roughly speaking, yes. I always thought RX-100 was like 105SC without the silly grey paint. It's a
    tossup whether RX-100 or 105SC was the best value of their time.

    Upgrading to 8 or 9 speed should be fairly easy: rear freehub body, axle & spacer, cassette, chain
    and shift levers are all you *really* need. Your frame will probably need to be spread (aka "cold
    set" or "bent") for the longer axle.

    Jeff

  9. In article <[email protected]>, Dennis Vaughn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Bike is actually in real good shape considering the year it was put together. I was wondering about
    >some history on the bike. It is quite a bit better than what I was previously riding. I was just
    >wondering about the shimano group that was installed on this bike. RX-100 is probably early Sora or
    >Tiagra from what I have been able to research. I am looking to upgrade this to 8 or 9 spd.

    It would be no problem to upgrade this machine to 8, 9 or 10 speed. The only question is whether you
    want to replace the minimum number of parts, or buy a whole group or build kit. If the rear triangle
    is spaced at 126mm then you'll want to spread it to 130mm by bending the chain stays.

    Here is some information on the procedure. But don't say "cold set" or Muzi will throw up. :)

    http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

    At a minimum you would need to buy shifters, cassette, chain, and a freehub body or a new rear
    wheel, plus respacing the rear end if needed. If the front derailleur doesn't index well with the
    new shifters then replace that as well.

    --Paul