paranoia

Chrisbnj

Apr 21, 2010
Im tryin to get into the sport more, get a road cycle, join a team, etc. Im a teenager and i feel that i wont be taken to seriously as a rider and no one will take me becuase of my age. What shoudl i do?

Many teams have junior programs where they support younger riders pursue their cycling and racing goals. I'd strongly suggest approaching some of the local teams to see whether they have junior programs, how many juniors are on their teams, ages, etc. to look for a good fit and comfort level. Our team even had a stable of older racing bikes of different sizes that served as loaners for juniors just getting into the sport.

As far as people not taking you seriously, I'd suggest you not take yourself too seriously either. If you enjoy cycling, are willing to learn, and are easy to get along with then I think you'll find enough people willing to point you in the right direction that you'll be able to feel your way into a group that you're comfortable with. I know the junior racers on my team get a lot of support and everyone is very anxious to see them do well. Good luck! :)

Like Frenchy said, if you approach the teams with the right attitude and a willingness to work, you'll probably find them very supportive.

Your age is not a bad thing, they'll take you more seriously than they would an old geezer like me. :D

64Paramount said:
Like Frenchy said, if you approach the teams with the right attitude and a willingness to work, you'll probably find them very supportive.

Your age is not a bad thing, they'll take you more seriously than they would an old geezer like me. :D

I hear you on that, 64. :cool:

I rode my first race and was off the back on the first lap....and coming around I had people I didn't even know clapping and yelling "just keep working hard, go! go!" UNBELIEVABLY supportive to a newbie. Great community in cycling. Sure, some of the riders are douchebags but that's true of any group.

Who cares just do it. Don't worry about age. Adults are different than high school students. Sometimes they behave like children, adults, but its not the same. I don't think anyone will give you a hard time. Buck up and show them what you've got. Its admirable if anything that someone at a young age would get involved with something like this.

It's normal to be a little anxious about that, for sure. I'm pretty young myself, and I know I often feel I'm not taken as seriously both in my career and in social circles. I won't say don't be worried about it. Instead, I'd just say try your best to show why you've got every bit as much of a right to enjoy the hobby as anyone else. Take your time, learn and train at your own pace, and do it for you. Try to focus on what you love about cycling, not how others feel about you. I know that's hard though.

Most people are generally OK and see you just as someone who partakes in the same hobby and not even considering the age, but then again people can be rather idiotic so I suppose it depends on what sort of people you come across.

Everyone has to start from somewhere. Don't let your young age be a hindrance. It's only your mindset that's holding you back. Go on, join a team and start cycling. Eventually you'll get a feel for things and see where you best fit in.