parasite / iron

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    Does this mean iron IS .. intricately .. involved .. in the introduction of disease / parasites ..
    INTO .. man .. ?

    Exp Parasitol. 2003 Oct;105(2):111-20. Related Articles, Links

    Tritrichomonas foetus: the role played by iron during parasite interaction with epithelial cells.

    Melo-Braga MB, Da Rocha-Azevedo B, Silva-Filho FC.

    UFRJ-Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, CCS-Bloco G, G-0-44, 21949-900, Rio de
    Janeiro, Brazil.

    The aim of this work was to investigate the role played by iron during interaction of Tritrichomonas
    foetus with cultured epithelial cells. We have observed that the growth rate of T. foetus is
    influenced by the amount of iron available into culture medium. When organisms maintained for 24h in
    iron-depleted medium were transferred to an iron-rich one, many protozoan cells exhibited a
    cytokinesis blockage. Parasites maintained in iron-depleted medium exhibited a significant increase
    in cytoadhesion when compared with both controls and parasites that had been cultured in medium in
    which iron was replaced. T. foetus collected from iron-depleted medium also exhibited a reduction in
    its ability to destroy epithelial cell monolayers and a reduction in the activity of several
    cysteine proteases. Taken together, the results presented here demonstrate that iron may be an
    extracellular signal, which seems to modulate the ability of T. foetus to interact with host
    epithelial cells. Index descriptions and Abbreviations: Tritrichomonas foetus; parasitic protozoa;
    iron; HeLa cells; cytoadhesion; cytotoxicity; cysteine proteases; l-trans-epoxysuccinylleucylamido-(4-
    guanidino) butane E-64; EDTA, ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid; FCS, fetal calf serum; Hepes, N-2-hydroxyethylpiperazine-
    [Formula: see text] -2-ethanesulfonic acid; PAGE, polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis; PBS, phosphate-
    buffered saline; PFOR, pyruvate:ferredoxin oxidoreductase; PMSF, phenylmethylsulphonyl fluoride;
    RPMI, Roswell Park Memorial Institute medium; SDS, sodium dodecyl sulfate; SOD, superoxide
    dismutase; TLCK, N-alpha-p-tosyl-l-lisine chloromethyl ketone

    PMID: 14969688 [PubMed - in process]

    ------

    Exp Parasitol. 1996 Jul;83(2):216-28. Related Articles, Links

    Tritrichomonas foetus: iron acquisition from lactoferrin and transferrin.

    Tachezy J, Kulda J, Bahnikova I, Suchan P, Razga J, Schrevel J.

    Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.

    Acquisition of iron from lactoferrin and transferrin by a parasitic protozoon Tritrichomonas foetus
    has been studied in vitro. Specific, time-dependent, and saturable binding of iodinated ligands to
    the outer membrane of T. foetus at 4 degrees C was demonstrated for 125I-labeled lactoferrin only.
    About 1.7 x 10(5) binding sites of a single class with Kd approximately equal to 3.6 microM was
    estimated by means of Scatchard analysis. Internalization of the bound lactoferrin was observed at
    37 degrees C. The cell-associated radioactivity after 30 min incubation of the parasite with 125I-
    lactoferrin at 37 degrees C was about 3.5-fold higher than the amount bound at 4 degrees C. The
    majority of internalized 125I-lactoferrin was released within 15 min of cell reincubation at 37
    degrees C in the presence of a 100-fold excess of nonlabeled lactoferrin. Released lactoferrin
    displayed unchanged mobility on autoradiography. In contrast to lactoferrin, binding of 125I-
    transferrin was nonspecific and did not display saturable kinetics. The growth of T. foetus in iron-
    restricted media was stimulated by both lactoferrin and transferrin. The ability of the cells to
    remove and accumulate iron from both proteins was therefore examined using 59Fe-saturated
    lactoferrin and transferrin. It was found that trichomonads acquired a comparable amount of iron
    from both lactoferrin and transferrin during 60 min incubation at 37 degrees C (495 and 577 pmole
    Fe/mg of protein, respectively). The pH of the assay medium (PBS) decreased from pH
    7.4 to 5.6 after incubation with trichomonads. At this pH, marked release of iron from transferrin
    (up to 47%) but not from lactoferrin (4%) was determined in cell-free media. These results
    indicate that T. foetus is able to utilize both lactoferrin and transferrin to cover its iron
    requirements. However, mechanisms of iron acquisition from these host proteins appear to be
    different. Specific binding and internalization of lactoferrin suggests the possible involvement
    of receptor-mediated endocytosis in the acquisition of lactoferrin-bound iron, while retrieval of
    iron from transferrin may depend on the extracellular release of iron from this ligand.

    PMID: 8682190 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does this mean iron IS .. intricately .. involved .. in the introduction
    of
    > disease / parasites .. INTO .. man .. ?

    Yes

    > Exp Parasitol. 2003 Oct;105(2):111-20. Related Articles, Links
    >

    > Parasites maintained in iron-depleted medium exhibited a significant increase in cytoadhesion
    > when compared with both controls

    It says to me that an iron deficiency will increase one's susceptibility to parasite infestation.

    Bit of an own goal there Tom ;o)

    MB

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: parasite / iron
    >From: "Manky Badger" [email protected]
    >Date: 2/19/2004 2:06 PM Mountain Standard Time
    >

    >"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >m27.aol.com...
    >> Does this mean iron IS .. intricately .. involved .. in the introduction
    >of
    >> disease / parasites .. INTO .. man .. ?
    >
    >Yes
    >
    >> Exp Parasitol. 2003 Oct;105(2):111-20. Related Articles, Links
    >>

    >> Parasites maintained in iron-depleted medium exhibited a significant increase in cytoadhesion
    >> when compared with both controls
    >
    >It says to me that an iron deficiency will increase one's susceptibility to parasite infestation.
    >
    >Bit of an own goal there Tom ;o)
    >
    >MB

    cytoadhesion

    THIS word isn't even in the dictionary ..

    When THAT happens .. I am sort of in a .. quandry ..

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  4. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: parasite / iron From: "Manky Badger" [email protected]
    > >Date: 2/19/2004 2:06 PM Mountain Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >

    > >"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >m27.aol.com...
    > >> Does this mean iron IS .. intricately .. involved .. in the
    introduction
    > >of
    > >> disease / parasites .. INTO .. man .. ?
    > >
    > >Yes
    > >
    > >> Exp Parasitol. 2003 Oct;105(2):111-20. Related Articles, Links
    > >>

    > >> Parasites maintained in iron-depleted medium exhibited a significant increase in cytoadhesion
    > >> when compared with
    both
    > >> controls
    > >
    > >It says to me that an iron deficiency will increase one's susceptibility
    > >parasite infestation.
    > >
    > >Bit of an own goal there Tom ;o)
    > >
    > >MB
    > >

    > cytoadhesion
    >
    > THIS word isn't even in the dictionary ..
    >
    > When THAT happens .. I am sort of in a .. quandry ..

    Another own goal ;o)

  5. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: parasite / iron
    >From: "Manky Badger" [email protected]
    >Date: 2/19/2004 2:06 PM Mountain Standard Time
    >

    >"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >m27.aol.com...
    >> Does this mean iron IS .. intricately .. involved .. in the introduction
    >of
    >> disease / parasites .. INTO .. man .. ?
    >
    >Yes
    >
    >> Exp Parasitol. 2003 Oct;105(2):111-20. Related Articles, Links
    >>

    >> Parasites maintained in iron-depleted medium exhibited a significant increase in cytoadhesion
    >> when compared with both controls
    >
    >It says to me that an iron deficiency will increase one's susceptibility to parasite infestation.
    >
    >Bit of an own goal there Tom ;o)
    >
    >MB

    <<snip>> exhibited a reduction in its ability to destroy epithelial cell monolayers <<snip>>

    Says to me .. its ability to enter the cell .. is impeded.

    Exp Parasitol. 2003 Oct;105(2):111-20. Related Articles, Links
    T. foetus collected from iron-depleted medium also exhibited a reduction in its ability to destroy
    epithelial cell monolayers and a reduction in the activity of several cysteine proteases.

    PMID: 14969688 [PubMed - in process]

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  6. Tom Hennessy

    Tom Hennessy Guest

    [email protected] (doe) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Subject: Re: parasite / iron From: "Manky Badger" [email protected]
    > >Date: 2/19/2004 2:06 PM Mountain Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >

    > >"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >m27.aol.com...
    > >> Does this mean iron IS .. intricately .. involved .. in the introduction
    > of
    > >> disease / parasites .. INTO .. man .. ?
    > >
    > >Yes
    > >
    > >> Exp Parasitol. 2003 Oct;105(2):111-20. Related Articles, Links
    > >>

    > >> Parasites maintained in iron-depleted medium exhibited a significant increase in cytoadhesion
    > >> when compared with both controls
    > >
    > >It says to me that an iron deficiency will increase one's susceptibility to parasite infestation.
    > >
    > >Bit of an own goal there Tom ;o)
    > >
    > >MB
    >
    > <<snip>> exhibited a reduction in its ability to destroy epithelial cell monolayers <<snip>>
    >
    > Says to me .. its ability to enter the cell .. is impeded.
    >
    > Exp Parasitol. 2003 Oct;105(2):111-20. Related Articles, Links
    > T. foetus collected from iron-depleted medium also exhibited a reduction in its ability to destroy
    > epithelial cell monolayers and a reduction in the activity of several cysteine proteases.
    >
    > PMID: 14969688 [PubMed - in process]

    Int J Parasitol. 2002 Apr;32(4):473-9. Related Articles, Links

    Growth inhibition of bloodstream forms of Trypanosoma brucei by the iron chelator deferoxamine.

    Breidbach T, Scory S, Krauth-Siegel RL, Steverding D.

    Abteilung Parasitologie, Hygiene-Institut der Ruprecht-Karls Universitat, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324,
    D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany.

    Treatment of bloodstream forms of Trypanosoma brucei with the iron chelator deferoxamine inhibits
    the proliferation of the parasites. Compared with mammalian cells, bloodstream forms of Trypanosoma
    brucei are 10 times more sensitive to iron depletion. The primary target of the chelator is
    obviously the intracellular iron as the toxicity of deferoxamine is abolished by addition of
    holotransferrin, the exogenous source of iron for the parasite. To identify probable target sites,
    the effect of deferoxamine on ribonucleotide reductase, alternative oxidase and superoxide
    dismutase, three iron-dependent enzymes in bloodstream-form trypanosomes, was studied. Incubation of
    the parasites with the chelator leads to inhibition of DNA synthesis and lowers oxygen consumption
    indicating that deferoxamine may affect ribonucleotide reductase and alternative oxidase. The
    compound does not inhibit the holoenzymes directly but probably acts by chelating cellular iron thus
    preventing its incorporation into the newly synthesised apoproteins. Treatment of the parasites with
    deferoxamine for 24 h has no effect on the activity of superoxide dismutase. The results have
    implications for antitrypanosomal drug development based on specific intervention with the
    parasite's iron metabolism.

    PMID: 11849643 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    Who loves ya. Tom