parasite / iron

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    Does this mean iron IS .. intricately .. involved .. in the introduction of disease / parasites ..
    INTO .. man .. ?

    Exp Parasitol. 2003 Oct;105(2):111-20. Related Articles, Links

    Tritrichomonas foetus: the role played by iron during parasite interaction with epithelial cells.

    Melo-Braga MB, Da Rocha-Azevedo B, Silva-Filho FC.

    UFRJ-Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, CCS-Bloco G, G-0-44, 21949-900, Rio de
    Janeiro, Brazil.

    The aim of this work was to investigate the role played by iron during interaction of Tritrichomonas
    foetus with cultured epithelial cells. We have observed that the growth rate of T. foetus is
    influenced by the amount of iron available into culture medium. When organisms maintained for 24h in
    iron-depleted medium were transferred to an iron-rich one, many protozoan cells exhibited a
    cytokinesis blockage. Parasites maintained in iron-depleted medium exhibited a significant increase
    in cytoadhesion when compared with both controls and parasites that had been cultured in medium in
    which iron was replaced. T. foetus collected from iron-depleted medium also exhibited a reduction in
    its ability to destroy epithelial cell monolayers and a reduction in the activity of several
    cysteine proteases. Taken together, the results presented here demonstrate that iron may be an
    extracellular signal, which seems to modulate the ability of T. foetus to interact with host
    epithelial cells. Index descriptions and Abbreviations: Tritrichomonas foetus; parasitic protozoa;
    iron; HeLa cells; cytoadhesion; cytotoxicity; cysteine proteases; l-trans-epoxysuccinylleucylamido-(4-
    guanidino) butane E-64; EDTA, ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid; FCS, fetal calf serum; Hepes, N-2-hydroxyethylpiperazine-
    [Formula: see text] -2-ethanesulfonic acid; PAGE, polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis; PBS, phosphate-
    buffered saline; PFOR, pyruvate:ferredoxin oxidoreductase; PMSF, phenylmethylsulphonyl fluoride;
    RPMI, Roswell Park Memorial Institute medium; SDS, sodium dodecyl sulfate; SOD, superoxide
    dismutase; TLCK, N-alpha-p-tosyl-l-lisine chloromethyl ketone

    PMID: 14969688 [PubMed - in process]

    ------

    Exp Parasitol. 1996 Jul;83(2):216-28. Related Articles, Links

    Tritrichomonas foetus: iron acquisition from lactoferrin and transferrin.

    Tachezy J, Kulda J, Bahnikova I, Suchan P, Razga J, Schrevel J.

    Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Science, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic.

    Acquisition of iron from lactoferrin and transferrin by a parasitic protozoon Tritrichomonas foetus
    has been studied in vitro. Specific, time-dependent, and saturable binding of iodinated ligands to
    the outer membrane of T. foetus at 4 degrees C was demonstrated for 125I-labeled lactoferrin only.
    About 1.7 x 10(5) binding sites of a single class with Kd approximately equal to 3.6 microM was
    estimated by means of Scatchard analysis. Internalization of the bound lactoferrin was observed at
    37 degrees C. The cell-associated radioactivity after 30 min incubation of the parasite with 125I-
    lactoferrin at 37 degrees C was about 3.5-fold higher than the amount bound at 4 degrees C. The
    majority of internalized 125I-lactoferrin was released within 15 min of cell reincubation at 37
    degrees C in the presence of a 100-fold excess of nonlabeled lactoferrin. Released lactoferrin
    displayed unchanged mobility on autoradiography. In contrast to lactoferrin, binding of 125I-
    transferrin was nonspecific and did not display saturable kinetics. The growth of T. foetus in iron-
    restricted media was stimulated by both lactoferrin and transferrin. The ability of the cells to
    remove and accumulate iron from both proteins was therefore examined using 59Fe-saturated
    lactoferrin and transferrin. It was found that trichomonads acquired a comparable amount of iron
    from both lactoferrin and transferrin during 60 min incubation at 37 degrees C (495 and 577 pmole
    Fe/mg of protein, respectively). The pH of the assay medium (PBS) decreased from pH
    7.4 to 5.6 after incubation with trichomonads. At this pH, marked release of iron from transferrin
    (up to 47%) but not from lactoferrin (4%) was determined in cell-free media. These results
    indicate that T. foetus is able to utilize both lactoferrin and transferrin to cover its iron
    requirements. However, mechanisms of iron acquisition from these host proteins appear to be
    different. Specific binding and internalization of lactoferrin suggests the possible involvement
    of receptor-mediated endocytosis in the acquisition of lactoferrin-bound iron, while retrieval of
    iron from transferrin may depend on the extracellular release of iron from this ligand.

    PMID: 8682190 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    And what exactly are we to make of this, how does it relate to any body of theory, to what practical
    use is it, and to what goal can it be useful? Without this information it is but another random
    abstract plucked from the web, one among thousands of such.

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: parasite / iron
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 2/19/2004 12:05 PM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >And what exactly are we to make of this, how does it relate to any body of theory, to what
    >practical use is it, and to what goal can it be useful? Without this information it is but another
    >random abstract plucked from the web, one among thousands of such.

    No .. IPI .. ?

    Even on questions .. you place the above .. message ..?

    Jeez .. I am beginning to believe you are attempting to simply put your little freakish quote on ALL
    my postings ..

    Which would be .. abuse ..

    Is that what you are attempting .. ?

    Abuse .. ?

    Who loves ya. Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  4. markd

    markd Guest

    No abuse at all my friend Tom. We just want to know why, how, when, etc.
    about the random abstracts you post; in need to know, in contrast to the
    non-nutritional info so often in them, such:

    And what exactly are we to make of this, how does it relate to any body of theory, to what practical
    use is it, and to what goal can it be useful? Without this information it is but another random
    abstract plucked from the web, one among thousands of such.

  5. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: parasite / iron
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 2/19/2004 1:19 PM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >No abuse at all my friend Tom. We just want to know why, how, when, etc. about the random abstracts
    >you post; in need to know, in contrast to the non-nutritional info so often in them, such:

    Let me explain .. once again ..

    I use the groups as my own personal filing cabinet ..

    I place medical studies for easy access in case my PC .. fails ..

    So each and every abstract DOES NOT .. I repeat .. does NOT .. need .. a comment ..

    Dig .. ? Comprendez .. ? Understand .. ?

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  6. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: parasite / iron
    >From: [email protected] (doe)
    >Date: 2/19/2004 9:26 PM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >>Subject: Re: parasite / iron From: [email protected] Date: 2/19/2004 1:19 PM Mountain Standard
    >>Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    >>
    >>No abuse at all my friend Tom. We just want to know why, how, when, etc. about the random
    >>abstracts you post; in need to know, in contrast to the non-nutritional info so often in
    >>them, such:
    >>

    >Let me explain .. once again ..
    >
    >I use the groups as my own personal filing cabinet ..
    >
    >I place medical studies for easy access in case my PC .. fails ..
    >
    >So each and every abstract DOES NOT .. I repeat .. does NOT .. need .. a comment ..
    >
    >Dig .. ? Comprendez .. ? Understand .. ?

    I also place medical studies which .. I .. believe to be relevant to disease .. in general ..

    I specifically place them in relevant newsgroups for the perusal of .. others ..

    Whether .. I .. personally .. understand them .. is between ME .. and myself .. and Irene ..

    As to whether YOU .. are in a 'need to know' basis .. or if ANYONE is in a 'need to know' basis as
    to whether I .. fully . understand a medical abstract .. is just another method of .. abuse ..

    And will be dealt with as such ..

    When YOU have anywhere NEAR the success I am having .. you can ask me .. "do you understand the
    article" ..

    Dig .. ? Understand ..? Comprendez ..?

    Until then .. stand by in amazement ..

    Boy ..

    Sir James Black, who received the Nobel Prize for his invention and development of Tagamet
    (Cimetidine), the pioneer drug for treating GERD and ulcerations.

    http://tinyurl.com/33vvo

    Nobel .. prize ..

    Match it .. or .. S .. T .. F .. U ..

    Who loves ya. Tom

    Who loves ya. Tom

    Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  7. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > When YOU have anywhere NEAR the success I am having .. you can ask me ..
    "do
    > you understand the article" ..

    Straight question Tom - no squabbles this time - what success do you refer to ?

  8. markd

    markd Guest

    We luvs ya Tom. Our friend Tom comes clean, he uses ngs as a fileing
    system in case his computer dies and he might, in all candor, not
    understand what the abstracts he posts mean. He relies on some folk who
    might know to interpret the abstract, even if it has nothing to do with
    the ng, for their own use, leaving us still to ponder the postings in
    light of:

    And what exactly are we to make of this, how does it relate to any body of theory, to what practical
    use is it, and to what goal can it be useful? Without this information it is but another random
    abstract plucked from the web, one among thousands of such.

  9. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: parasite / iron From: "Manky Badger" [email protected]
    > >Date: 2/20/2004 12:41 AM Mountain Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >

    > >"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >m11.aol.com...
    > >

    > >> When YOU have anywhere NEAR the success I am having .. you can ask me
    ..
    > >"do
    > >> you understand the article" ..
    > >

    > >Straight question Tom - no squabbles this time - what success do you
    refer
    > >to ?
    >
    > Aspirin .. targets .. iron ..

    Evasion again Tom ?

  10. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

  11. Manky Badger

    Manky Badger Guest

    "doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >Subject: Re: parasite / iron From: "Manky Badger" [email protected]
    > >Date: 2/21/2004 5:05 PM Mountain Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
    > >

    > >"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >m22.aol.com...
    > >

    > >> Or maybe .. just .. EAT .. ME ..
    > >
    > >Why is it that any attemnpt at discussion with you just descends into personal abuse ?
    > >
    > >MB
    >
    > Maybe years of dealing with condescending dildos .. has taken its .. toll
    ..

    > Or .. maybe I have diabetes and the fact I get pissed off raises my
    ability to
    > clear glucose .. making me .. 'feel' .. better ..
    >
    > Or maybe .. stupidity .. just .. irks .. me .. man ..

    Cytoadhesion - !!!