Paris-Brest-Paris Final Chapter

J

Joe Keenan

I've found www.crazyguyonabike.com to be helpful for both posting a journal for friends to read and
for discovering other rides.

In crazyguyonabike there are about 46 journals that are recumbent specific. Harking back to an old
TV show, the line went something like this: "This city has millions of stories. This is just one of
them." From a recumbent town: "There are 46 recumbent journals. This is just one of them."

For those contemplating "brevets", hopefully there is some helpful information and "lessons
learned". For more on brevets go to www.rusa.org

http://JoePBP2003.crazyguyonabike.com

Slow Joe

Dude,

That was an AMAZING story! Thanks for taking the time to write it down to share with everyone.

I have tasted similar disappointment--I contracted cerebral edema 800 feet below the summit of
Denali some years ago thereby ending the summit hopes of myself and my climbing team (who then had
to busy themselves with getting me down before I died). So including my own failure to summit, I
caused three other deserving people to give up their chance at the mountain too. That's a damn
heavy load.

Fortunately they were all wise enough to realize that it's safety first and I would have done the
same for any of them. We are all still good friends.

I hope you are able to get your redemption, if that's what you crave, although the French who
greeted you at the end of your ride had it right--you should be applauded for a damn fine effort!
They, more than any, can appreciate all that you sacrificed to be there, being a (the?) premier
cycling nation.

Besides, what you learned about yourself and all the friends you made along the way in your
training, qualifying, and PBP attempt is the real prize.

ALL HAIL SLOW JOE!!!

Peter