Paris-Brest-Paris

essendon93

New Member
Aug 20, 2004
Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting this in 2007.

Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.

My question is, when would you need to start training for something like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride 9km to work during the week, and go for a ride on Sunday.

Sunday was the longest ride I'd done (224km)

Ess

essendon93 said:
Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting this in 2007.

Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.

My question is, when would you need to start training for something like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride 9km to work during the week, and go for a ride on Sunday.

Sunday was the longest ride I'd done (224km)

Ess

Ask the experts over at Audax in regards to training tips et al, you have do a Super Randonneur series to qualify, more here:
http://www.audax.org.au/parisbrest.htm

essendon93 wrote:
> Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting
> this in 2007.
>
> Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.
>
> My question is, when would you need to start training for something
> like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride
> 9km to work during the week, and go for a ride on Sunday.

"lots"

the ride is ~300km a day for ~4 days. You'll need to be able
to ride 10hrs a day at >33km/h. Not unreasonable in
a bunch, but non-trivial for that length of time.

It'll take some time to build up to that sort of
endurance. You'll want to start training pretty soon!

On 20/10/05 at 20:11:15 essendon93 somehow managed to type:

> Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting
> this in 2007.

I've done a couple of 1200's and 1000's so if you're Goating tomorrow
(Fri) evening we can have a bit of a yak BEFORE I have too much
stout...:)

Put simply you'll want to start training about now...:)

--
Humbug

essendon93 said:
Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting this in 2007.

Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.

My question is, when would you need to start training for something like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride 9km to work during the week, and go for a ride on Sunday.

Sunday was the longest ride I'd done (224km)

Ess

coolio!

that's one on my (longterm) list :D

You gotta qualify for it by doing all the shorter ditance audax rides too.
But first you will need: steel bike, mudguards, lights, sandal-spds and preferably a beard :D:D:D

Go do some audaxs and see how you feel after a 300-600

Having ridden the 2003 PBP I can offer some advice.

First, just do it, it is the most amazing experience, 4500 cycling nuts from all over the world, and yes you do have to be a certified cycle nut to contemplate such a ride.

You will never every forget the support of the French people enroute, from young kids to the elderly encouraging you on, offering food and water at literally all hours of the day and night.

Training yes by all means start now, be happy with riding 300 or maybe 400km by the end of this summer. Doing this will start sorting out not only your fitness but all the other essentials such mental fitness, lights and above all being totally comfortable on your bike. All the other things count for nothing if you are not totally comfortable on your bike for hours and hours at a time.

I started preparing for the 2003 event at about this period out but really didnt do any big distances until well into 2002 but had ridden many 200km audaxes.

Comtemplate getting a suitable bike, more tourer than road bike for the long distance comfort. It MAY be a bit slower but in the long run you are better off.

From now on read everything you can about the event from the history, Charles Tarront the winner in 1891 of what was then a race in 73 hours to accounts of the ride from 2003.

From now on in the words of Fausto Coppi - Ride Your Bike - Ride Your Bike - Ride Your Bike.

Get into the mental attitude that enables you to contemplate getting out on your bike for at least 100km at any time of the day or night and in any weather conditions. You may not actually get out but the fact you can deal with that concept without throwing up your hands in horror means you are some way to the mental preparedness.

CC

essendon93 <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting
> this in 2007.
>
> Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.
>
> My question is, when would you need to start training for something
> like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride
> 9km to work during the week, and go for a ride on Sunday.
>
> Sunday was the longest ride I'd done (224km)
>
> Ess

From someone who is also contemplating doing the PBP [with my son who
isn't all that much of a cyclist (yet)], I'd say make sure you ramp
things up gradually. Like add 10km to your daily schedule, then 15km,
then 20....

If you try to do too much all at once you'll hurt yourself and just set
your training back more than you improve.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

essendon93 said:
Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting this in 2007.

Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.

My question is, when would you need to start training for something like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride 9km to work during the week, and go for a ride on Sunday.

Sunday was the longest ride I'd done (224km)

Ess
You are going the whole hog. I'm having kittens trying to figure out how to train for the Alpine Classic 200. Mind you I want to do it easy rather than hard. Training for the Alpine might put you in a good frame of mind for some of the longer Audax rides.

Bleve wrote:

> the ride is ~300km a day for ~4 days. You'll need to be able
> to ride 10hrs a day at >33km/h. Not unreasonable in
> a bunch, but non-trivial for that length of time.

This is not the way to do it. You've got to use the available time, and that means cutting back on the time you sleep.

My big goal for the next few years is to do PBP in 2007. I did an Audax super series earlier this year (1x200, 1x300, 1x400, and 1x600km ride), and aim to do one this summer and another in 2007 (the one for qualifying).

The 400 is the watershed ride. You can do a 200 in daylight, and many people can even manage to do a 300 in daylight. Certainly you can blow yourself to bits on either ride, and then fall asleep at the end.

For the longer rides though, you've got to pace yourself. That means limiting your speed to the mid-20s, and having the occasional break. I did my 400 without sleep, in about 20 hours. On the 600, I slept a few hours at the 350km mark.

In answer to the original posters question, I'd advise to start now. Do a super series, and then aim to do another in the months before PBP.

You'll know on that 600 whether it's still a goer :)

Cheers,

Suzy

essendon93 said:
Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting this in 2007.

Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.

My question is, when would you need to start training for something like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride 9km to work during the week, and go for a ride on Sunday.

Sunday was the longest ride I'd done (224km)

Ess

Good on ya Ess! go for it!

You've already done the alpine 200 I think? Next up for some night riding, I recomend this;

Salute to Irene Plowman (200km)

Friday Feb 24th 2006, 8PM start - Supported,

Escape the city heat, test your lightsand follow the trail of tail lights out of the city at dusk for the run to Portsea. You'll be back in the CBD for breakfast in the park.
Start: Port Melbourne 8:00:00 PM

As others have said, keep on riding & aim for an AUDAX Super Series.

"Bikesoiler" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> essendon93 Wrote:
>> Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting
>> this in 2007.
>>
>> Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.
>>
>> My question is, when would you need to start training for something
>> like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride
>> 9km to work during the week, and go for a ride on Sunday.
>>
>> Sunday was the longest ride I'd done (224km)
>>
>> Ess

> Good on ya Ess! go for it!
>
> You've already done the ' alpine 200'
> (http://www.audax.org.au/alpine.htm) I think? Next up for some night
> riding, I recomend this;
>
> Salute to Irene Plowman (200km)
>
> Friday Feb 24th 2006, 8PM start - Supported,
>
> Escape the city heat, test your lightsand follow the trail of tail
> lights out of the city at dusk for the run to Portsea. You'll be back
> in the CBD for breakfast in the park.
> Start: Port Melbourne 8:00:00 PM
>
> As others have said, keep on riding & aim for an AUDAX Super Series.
>

> --
> Bikesoiler

That sounds like a cool ride, although I've yet to do a century, let along a
double.

On 2005-10-21, Resound (aka Bruce)

> "Bikesoiler" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>> As others have said, keep on riding & aim for an AUDAX Super Series.
>>

> That sounds like a cool ride, although I've yet to do a century, let along a
> double.

OK, I'll have to remember to badger you tonight again about coming on
another BR. Maybe I'll make that wine I owe you a conditional on your
promising to come (although I won't be able to enforce that this week)
:)

(It's usually just below a century for me, by the time I get into
work, if we do 2 laps of Kew Crits. Although, it was 140km the other
day, when we went down to the Williamstown races as well. I
definitely bonked that day -- I had not planned to go down there :)

--
TimC
Quantum Mechanics is a lovely introduction to Hilbert Spaces! --unknown

Bikesoiler said:
Next up for some night riding, I recomend this;

Salute to Irene Plowman (200km)

Friday Feb 24th 2006, 8PM start - Supported,

Escape the city heat, test your lightsand follow the trail of tail lights out of the city at dusk for the run to Portsea. You'll be back in the CBD for breakfast in the park.
Start: Port Melbourne 8:00:00 PM

Hmmm, can I do the 100? Gotta quote on some noice bullhorn bars....um, yes dear, we'll talk tonight at Goatage.. :p

essendon93 wrote:
> Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting
> this in 2007.
>
> Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.
>
> My question is, when would you need to start training for something
> like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride
> 9km to work during the week, and go for a ride on Sunday.
>
> Sunday was the longest ride I'd done (224km)
>
> Ess

Here's a good training run

http://bikerideacrossoz.blogspot.com/

(posted over at www.transitions.org.au)

jh

"essendon93" wrote in message ...

> Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting
> this in 2007.
>
> Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.

Crikey Ess! That's some hella goal..

I'm always up for a BR++ - I can see it now.. breakfast at Smiths Gully,
lunch at Smiths Gully, arvo tea at Smiths Gully, tea at Smiths Gully.. then
on the 5th lap, you get to sleep with that hot chick from Smiths Gully..

C'mon JayWoo - I bet that'd get your mind off your knee :)

cheers,
GPL

GPLama wrote:
> "essendon93" wrote in message ...
>
>>Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting
>>this in 2007.
>>
>>Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.
>>

> Crikey Ess! That's some hella goal..
>
> I'm always up for a BR++ - I can see it now.. breakfast at Smiths Gully,
> lunch at Smiths Gully, arvo tea at Smiths Gully, tea at Smiths Gully.. then
> on the 5th lap, you get to sleep with that hot chick from Smiths Gully..

After 5 laps, sleep is all you'd be capable of. Dunno if I'd be too keen
on those BR roads in the dark, scarrrry.

DaveB

Humbug said:
On 20/10/05 at 20:11:15 essendon93 somehow managed to type:

> Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting
> this in 2007.

I've done a couple of 1200's and 1000's so if you're Goating tomorrow
(Fri) evening we can have a bit of a yak BEFORE I have too much
stout...:)

Put simply you'll want to start training about now...:)

--
Humbug
Cheers Humbug, I'll go Goating one of these days :D Of course it will be the company and not the drinking I'm coming for hehe

flyingdutch said:
coolio!

that's one on my (longterm) list :D

You gotta qualify for it by doing all the shorter ditance audax rides too.
But first you will need: steel bike, mudguards, lights, sandal-spds and preferably a beard :D:D:D

Go do some audaxs and see how you feel after a 300-600
hmmm me with a beard? Your a funny man dutchy :)

essendon93 said:
Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting this in 2007.

Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.

<bevis>Somebody say "breast"?</bevis>

Ess, you're not delusional after the ATB are you? :)

I'm keen to meet a real life PBP'er so all the best!

You will find it anyway, but I liked some of the articles on www.ultracycling.com when I read 'em coupla years ago.

After my touring thang and because it seems quite popular over here, I'm keen to try some Audax riding too (not the PBP though!).
Basically, I suck with navigation and fall apart around the 150k mark (when loaded touring, anyway) so once I am able (money, bike, etc) I wanna give some of them a crack.
The uk audax calendar seems quite busy and there's often Audax discussions in UK.REC.CYCLING so you might want to lurk there a while too?
Then again, I'm still looking to get back into racing so who knows..
Oh, sorry for the brain dump, I'm talking rubbish to avoid stressing about work. ;)

hippy