Paris-Brest-Paris

cogcontrol said:
....and yes you do have to be a certified cycle nut to contemplate such a ride.
Well I don't think I'm a cycling nut, just enjoy a nice ride
Comtemplate getting a suitable bike, more tourer than road bike for the long distance comfort. It MAY be a bit slower but in the long run you are better off.
I've only got a road bike (OCR1), and a mountain bike. In what ways is a tourer more comfortable than a road bike? Just asking as I've never actually riden one. Or course my attitude is if you can go faster, then thats less time spent on the bike anyway...if I'm a tad misguided let me know ;)

Get into the mental attitude that enables you to contemplate getting out on your bike for at least 100km at any time of the day or night and in any weather conditions. You may not actually get out but the fact you can deal with that concept without throwing up your hands in horror means you are some way to the mental preparedness.
I've got no problems riding at any time, well I'd prefer not riding when its pissing down, but its not a massive issue with me.

essendon93 said:
I've only got a road bike (OCR1), and a mountain bike. In what ways is a tourer more comfortable than a road bike? Just asking as I've never actually riden one. Or course my attitude is if you can go faster, then thats less time spent on the bike anyway...if I'm a tad misguided let me know ;)

http://www.cyclingsite.com/collected_wisdom/what_to_take/bikes/touring.htm

hippy

Bikesoiler said:
Good on ya Ess! go for it!

You've already done the alpine 200 I think? Next up for some night riding, I recomend this;

Salute to Irene Plowman (200km)

Friday Feb 24th 2006, 8PM start - Supported,

Escape the city heat, test your lightsand follow the trail of tail lights out of the city at dusk for the run to Portsea. You'll be back in the CBD for breakfast in the park.
Start: Port Melbourne 8:00:00 PM

As others have said, keep on riding & aim for an AUDAX Super Series.
Sounds like fun, count me in :) Yeah I've done the Alpine, well not exactly in the most convincing fashion, but it's been my focus all year. I'm going to train, train, train for this..I'd be very annoyed if I don't go under 10hrs this time.

suzyj said:
Bleve wrote:
350km mark.

In answer to the original posters question, I'd advise to start now. Do a super series, and then aim to do another in the months before PBP.

You'll know on that 600 whether it's still a goer :)

Cheers,

Suzy
Cool thanks Suzy :)

GPLama said:

Crikey Ess! That's some hella goal..

I'm always up for a BR++ - I can see it now.. breakfast at Smiths Gully,
lunch at Smiths Gully, arvo tea at Smiths Gully, tea at Smiths Gully.. then
on the 5th lap, you get to sleep with that hot chick from Smiths Gully..

C'mon JayWoo - I bet that'd get your mind off your knee :)

cheers,
GPL
Yeah I'm up for a double BR at some stage, or maybe an extended BR, 200km+ and a sedated pace of course, don't want no B-graders ripping my quads to shreds :rolleyes:

hippy said:
Ess, you're not delusional after the ATB are you? :)

hehe probably, but I must admit its not the first time I've thought about it, it was after reading someones account of their 2003 ride which first put the idea in my head. Of course I later dismissed it as being too far out of reach, but for some reason the thoughts entered my brain again :p

Thanks for the links :)

essendon93 wrote:
> Ok so maybe I'm not thinking clearly, but I am thinking of attempting
> this in 2007.
>
> Frankly 1216km in 90hrs, kinda freaks me out.
>
> My question is, when would you need to start training for something
> like this, and how many k's a week would be ideal? Currently I ride
> 9km to work during the week

My understanding is that you'll get a fair bit of your training in by
qualifying for the ride. If I'm wrong sorry, just my age showing, but
when I were a lad we had to do all the Audax rides on up to the 1000km
in s short period before the coming PBP in order to qualify to do this
ride.

And BTW, you lucky bugger. This is a special event, something on my list
of things to do before that truck finally runs me over or the rubber
falls off my tyres. Beats the 'Gong and any other local Aussie events.

My understanding is that you'll get a fair bit of your training in by
qualifying for the ride. If I'm wrong sorry, just my age showing, but
when I were a lad we had to do all the Audax rides on up to the 1000km
in s short period before the coming PBP in order to qualify to do this
ride.
Need to do a 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km to qualify

On 22/10/05 at 13:57:20 essendon93 somehow managed to type:

> > My understanding is that you'll get a fair bit of your training in
> > by qualifying for the ride. If I'm wrong sorry, just my age
> > showing, but when I were a lad we had to do all the Audax rides on
> > up to the 1000km in s short period before the coming PBP in order
> > to qualify to do this ride.

> Need to do a 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km to qualify

Yeah that's how it is now - a number of years ago we had to do a 1,000
or 1,200 as well as a super series in the Audax year leading up to PBP.
It was allegedly to stop underprepared people starting PBP and bailing
half way.

--
Humbug