Paris-Brest-Paris

David Damerell

Guest
I'm thinking of having a crack at the Paris-Brest-Paris next year, either
solo or on my tandem with some fellow victim.

However, the first line of research - Google - doesn't seem to be as much
help as usual. When do I need to start doing stuff, and what do I need to
do? I'd appreciate a pointer to some sort of crib sheet for the
formalities...

[I know, in general, about the requirement for shorter Audax rides earlier
in 2007...]
Today is Potmos, August.

David Damerell wrote:
> I'm thinking of having a crack at the Paris-Brest-Paris next year,
> either solo or on my tandem with some fellow victim.
>
> However, the first line of research - Google - doesn't seem to be as
> much help as usual. When do I need to start doing stuff, and what do
> I need to do? I'd appreciate a pointer to some sort of crib sheet for
> the formalities...

1) join Audax UK as AFAIK, they are the UK accreditation body.
2) ask detailed questions on the Audax UK Yahoo Group.

There was a little in the current Audax mag about qualification rides from
January.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

David Damerell wrote:
> I'm thinking of having a crack at the Paris-Brest-Paris next year, either
> solo or on my tandem with some fellow victim.
>
> However, the first line of research - Google - doesn't seem to be as much
> help as usual. When do I need to start doing stuff, and what do I need to
> do? I'd appreciate a pointer to some sort of crib sheet for the
> formalities...

http://pbp.star-warz.net/EN/index.php?PHPSESSID=0d9946124cdaf86ce88ef05fe6ece360

should get you started

the dates for the qualifying rides (and they need to be BRM's) is
probably the most important thing to remember (other than the date of
the actual ride)

I believe a few other residents of this parish are going for it....

MartinM wrote:

> David Damerell wrote:
> > I'm thinking of having a crack at the Paris-Brest-Paris next year, either
> > solo or on my tandem with some fellow victim.
> >
> > However, the first line of research - Google - doesn't seem to be as much
> > help as usual. When do I need to start doing stuff, and what do I need to
> > do? I'd appreciate a pointer to some sort of crib sheet for the
> > formalities...

> http://pbp.star-warz.net/EN/index.php?PHPSESSID=0d9946124cdaf86ce88ef05fe6ece360
>
> should get you started
>
> the dates for the qualifying rides (and they need to be BRM's) is
> probably the most important thing to remember

The bit in brackets is incorrect, to qualify for PBP the events must be
BRM, all early season events at each distance will be BRM events. I am
hoping to qualify in one week in Majorca next year, if not I'll have to
do the BCM600

> I believe a few other residents of this parish are going for it....

Oh yes we are, or well I am.

David Damerell wrote:
> I'm thinking of having a crack at the Paris-Brest-Paris next year, either
> solo or on my tandem with some fellow victim.
>
> However, the first line of research - Google - doesn't seem to be as much
> help as usual. When do I need to start doing stuff, and what do I need to
> do? I'd appreciate a pointer to some sort of crib sheet for the
> formalities...
>
> [I know, in general, about the requirement for shorter Audax rides earlier
> in 2007...]

Basic info here
http://www.audax.uk.net/pbp/index.htm

Bonne Route
Dan Gregory

Andy S wrote:

> MartinM wrote:
>
> > David Damerell wrote:
> > > I'm thinking of having a crack at the Paris-Brest-Paris next year, either
> > > solo or on my tandem with some fellow victim.
> > >
> > > However, the first line of research - Google - doesn't seem to be as much
> > > help as usual. When do I need to start doing stuff, and what do I need to
> > > do? I'd appreciate a pointer to some sort of crib sheet for the
> > > formalities...

> > http://pbp.star-warz.net/EN/index.php?PHPSESSID=0d9946124cdaf86ce88ef05fe6ece360
> >
> > should get you started
> >
> > the dates for the qualifying rides (and they need to be BRM's) is
> > probably the most important thing to remember

> The bit in brackets is incorrect, to qualify for PBP the events must be
> BRM, all early season events at each distance will be BRM events. I am
> hoping to qualify in one week in Majorca next year, if not I'll have to
> do the BCM600
> >
> > I believe a few other residents of this parish are going for it....

Must learn to read one of these days the bit in brackets is correct,
basically perms do not count and rides outside of specific dates. Stigs
Majorcan series is a fun way of finding out if your fit.

Andy S

Andy S wrote:

basically perms do not count and rides outside of specific dates.

Yes PBP is the only event where you seem to have to prove you've ridden
any of the rides (presumably anyone could drive round a perm if they
wanted to); curiously on la Marmotte one could have won the race by
rolling over the mat, sitting in a bar all day then riding up Alpe
d'Huez; there were no other control points. There is debate about when
the earliest you can ride a 200 is; some sources say Jan 1st.

"MartinM" <[email protected]>typed

> Andy S wrote:

> basically perms do not count and rides outside of specific dates.

> Yes PBP is the only event where you seem to have to prove you've ridden
> any of the rides (presumably anyone could drive round a perm if they
> wanted to); curiously on la Marmotte one could have won the race by
> rolling over the mat, sitting in a bar all day then riding up Alpe
> d'Huez; there were no other control points. There is debate about when
> the earliest you can ride a 200 is; some sources say Jan 1st.

I think the latest edition of Arrivée says Jan 1st.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

MartinM wrote:

> Andy S wrote:
>
> basically perms do not count and rides outside of specific dates.
>
> Yes PBP is the only event where you seem to have to prove you've ridden
> any of the rides (presumably anyone could drive round a perm if they
> wanted to); curiously on la Marmotte one could have won the race by
> rolling over the mat, sitting in a bar all day then riding up Alpe
> d'Huez; there were no other control points. There is debate about when
> the earliest you can ride a 200 is; some sources say Jan 1st.

Totally off the PBP topic how did you find the Marmotte in comparison
to the Dales Grimpeur, I can drag myself around the DG at varying
speeds depending on fitness., Years of pain tell me "slowly"

Back on topic
In 1991 the first qualifying ride in the days before RRTY was mid
February and was the Northwest Passage mid February [1] I am expecting
locally the first qualifier at the end of Jan in 2007, if not its fixed
gear round the NWP.

[1] Very windy, very slow, turned out as good prep for PBP in 1991 very
hot and windy

nobody told Scott Dickinson

MartinM wrote:

> I believe a few other residents of this parish are going for it....

Yup.

Andy S wrote:

> Totally off the PBP topic how did you find the Marmotte in comparison
> to the Dales Grimpeur, I can drag myself around the DG at varying
> speeds depending on fitness., Years of pain tell me "slowly"

I found La Marmotte harder, mainly due to

a) much longer continious climbs and
b) no cafe stops.

The first bit is the biggee. That said, the climbs aren't as steep so
if you've got low gears and just keep going, you should be fine.

For some rough comparisions, the 2004 Marmotte took me 8:54
and the Dales Grimpeur that year (170k version) over 7 I think (I
was back well before the control opened anyway, with one quick cafe
stop). I felt I rode well on both rides so these are reasonably
comparable times.

Comparing the longer Dales Grimpeur to the Marmotte, there's not a vast
amount in it but I'd give the nod to the Marmotte again. What I would
say is that if you can get round the DG, you can get round La Marmotte.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
> "MartinM" <[email protected]>typed
>

>> Andy S wrote:

>> basically perms do not count and rides outside of specific dates.

>> Yes PBP is the only event where you seem to have to prove you've
>> ridden any of the rides (presumably anyone could drive round a perm
>> if they wanted to); curiously on la Marmotte one could have won the
>> race by rolling over the mat, sitting in a bar all day then riding
>> up Alpe d'Huez; there were no other control points. There is debate
>> about when the earliest you can ride a 200 is; some sources say Jan
>> 1st.

> I think the latest edition of Arrivée says Jan 1st.

Yes.

200: Jan 1st -> Apr 22nd
300: Apr 7th -> May 20th
400: Apr 28th -> Jun 3rd
600: May 17th -> Jun 17th

--
Dave Larrington
Barley, barley, barley, world cruise. You never see a farmer on

MartinM wrote:
> There is debate about when
> the earliest you can ride a 200 is; some sources say Jan 1st.

Is the Poor Student a qualifier?

d.

davek wrote:
> MartinM wrote:
> > There is debate about when
> > the earliest you can ride a 200 is; some sources say Jan 1st.

> Is the Poor Student a qualifier?

No, it's a BR. I expect there will be quite a lot of discussion on
planning to qualify, so keep tuned in.

--
Dave...

The message <[email protected]>
from "dkahn400" <[email protected]> contains these words:

> davek wrote:
> > MartinM wrote:
> > > There is debate about when
> > > the earliest you can ride a 200 is; some sources say Jan 1st.

> > Is the Poor Student a qualifier?

> No, it's a BR. I expect there will be quite a lot of discussion on
> planning to qualify, so keep tuned in.

The Poor Student will probably be a qualifier as it (and many other BRs)
will be temporarily 'promoted' to BRM next year. It costs 65p more to
run a BRM and they have a minimum speed of 15kph with no 14.3kph option
hence AUKs tendency to BRs.

(The Dean will probably be moved to accommodate French standards.)

Nik (disOrganiser)

nik wrote:

> The Poor Student will probably be a qualifier as it (and many other BRs)
> will be temporarily 'promoted' to BRM next year. It costs 65p more

that's quite hike from the IIRC 70p total card cost for a normal ride

Might make the Dean again; only this El Supremo person you may have
heard of is doing all he can to keep us Sussex riders in the the
countie(s) for every ride up to the French one.

Andy S wrote:

> > Totally off the PBP topic how did you find the Marmotte in comparison
> > to the Dales Grimpeur,

I found it slightly easier; perhaps I was fitter, perhaps the whole
event lifted me, but probably mainly because I preferred the longer but
not so steep drags

What I would
> say is that if you can get round the DG, you can get round La Marmotte.
>
> Arthur

I'd agree with wot Arthur said; except la Marmotte has absolutely
nothing to compare with Park Rash

nik wrote:
> The message <[email protected]>
> from "dkahn400" <[email protected]> contains these words:
> > davek wrote:
> > > Is the Poor Student a qualifier?

> > No, it's a BR. I expect there will be quite a lot of discussion on
> > planning to qualify, so keep tuned in.

> The Poor Student will probably be a qualifier as it (and many other BRs)
> will be temporarily 'promoted' to BRM next year.

In that case I apologise to it and you.

--
Dave...

nik wrote:
> The message <[email protected]>
> from "dkahn400" <[email protected]> contains these words:
>
>> davek wrote:
>>>
>>> Is the Poor Student a qualifier?

>> No, it's a BR. I expect there will be quite a lot of discussion on
>> planning to qualify, so keep tuned in.

> The Poor Student will probably be a qualifier as it (and many other
> BRs) will be temporarily 'promoted' to BRM next year. It costs 65p
> more to run a BRM and they have a minimum speed of 15kph with no
> 14.3kph option hence AUKs tendency to BRs.
>
> (The Dean will probably be moved to accommodate French standards.)

Hurrah! Unless it clashes with the Invicta 300...

--
Dave Larrington
God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had

Quoting MartinM <[email protected]>:
>David Damerell wrote:
>>I'm thinking of having a crack at the Paris-Brest-Paris next year, either
>>solo or on my tandem with some fellow victim.

>the dates for the qualifying rides (and they need to be BRM's) is

And what's a BRM, please?

I assume both captain and stoker would have to have done the full set of
qualifying rides; is that correct?
Today is First Tuesday, August.