Paris, France wants to increase bicycle use

Lawrence Fieman

http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,59
87,3228--316162-,00.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dle%2Bmonde%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26i e%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8

Pardon my babble fish, but the city government of Paris wants to increase bicycle use in their
fair city.

Here's the beginning of the article: The town hall of Paris wants to convince the Parisian ones "to
leave their bicycles" THE WORLD|09.04.03|13h10 . UPDATED 09.04.03|14h11 The assistant (Greens) of
transport, Denis Baupin, presented, Tuesday, a "bicycle Plan". Objective for 2010: to double the
existing network, by privileging the tracks in exclusive right of way. The installation of about
thirty black spots is also envisaged. 1 % of displacements only are done with bicycle. Computer
graphics: New ways and treatment of the dangerous crossroads During the first meeting of the Council
of Paris, after the election of Bertrand Delanoë, in March 2001, the image had struck the spirits
and had diverted the gazettes. The 23 Verts elected officials, symbolically, had chosen to arrive
grouped and à.vélo, with the Town hall. In the following days, parks with new bicycles bright
burning coal had even been installed, in large pump, in the court of the town hall.

This collective dash of the elected officials ecologists in favour of the small queen however did
not have the expected effect. The assistant (Green) of the mayor of Paris, in charge with
displacements and transport, Denis Baupin, admitted, while presenting, Tuesday April 8, his "bicycle
Plan": Paris is not "not yet" a cycle city. The user lay out currently of a network of 197 kilometer
of way "arrange" , of which 20 only of track in exclusive right of way propre, to which himself be
add, since the beginning of current mandature, 40 kilometer of corridor common with bus, taxi and
cyclist. In 2004, the creation of 50 kilometers additional of corridors of bus is envisaged. Broad,
these corridors 4,50 meters do not achieve the unanimity at the cyclists, even if, according to an
investigation carried out for the direction of the roadway system, two thirds of them find
"pleasant" to roll there.

Lawrence wrote:
> Pardon my babble fish, but the city government of Paris wants to increase bicycle use in their
> fair city.
...<snip amusing translation>

Maybe they should consider hosting some sort of cycling event that raises awareness of bicycling.
It could include that Arc de Triomph (sp?) structure. --Karen M.

Could we just have a raw URL so that we can read the text in French?

I mean, my French is pretty poor, but babelfish just confuses me...

-Luigi and I can do Vogon poetry, too.

Lawrence Fieman wrote:

> http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,59
> 87,3228--316162-,00.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dle%2Bmonde%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26i
> e%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8
>
> Pardon my babble fish, but the city government of Paris wants to increase bicycle use in their
> fair city.
>
> Here's the beginning of the article: The town hall of Paris wants to convince the Parisian ones
> "to leave their bicycles" THE WORLD|09.04.03|13h10 . UPDATED 09.04.03|14h11 The assistant
> (Greens) of transport, Denis Baupin, presented, Tuesday, a "bicycle Plan". Objective for 2010: to
> double the existing network, by privileging the tracks in exclusive right of way. The
> installation of about thirty black spots is also envisaged. 1 % of displacements only are done
> with bicycle. Computer graphics: New ways and treatment of the dangerous crossroads During the
> first meeting of the Council of Paris, after the election of Bertrand Delanoë, in March 2001, the
> image had struck the spirits and had diverted the gazettes. The 23 Verts elected officials,
> symbolically, had chosen to arrive grouped and à.vélo, with the Town hall. In the following days,
> parks with new bicycles bright burning coal had even been installed, in large pump, in the court
> of the town hall.
>
> This collective dash of the elected officials ecologists in favour of the small queen however did
> not have the expected effect. The assistant (Green) of the mayor of Paris, in charge with
> displacements and transport, Denis Baupin, admitted, while presenting, Tuesday April 8, his
> "bicycle Plan": Paris is not "not yet" a cycle city. The user lay out currently of a network of
> 197 kilometer of way "arrange" , of which 20 only of track in exclusive right of way propre, to
> which himself be add, since the beginning of current mandature, 40 kilometer of corridor common
> with bus, taxi and cyclist. In 2004, the creation of 50 kilometers additional of corridors of bus
> is envisaged. Broad, these corridors 4,50 meters do not achieve the unanimity at the cyclists,
> even if, according to an investigation carried out for the direction of the roadway system, two
> thirds of them find "pleasant" to roll there.

VERY interesting! Methinks we need a Quebecer to read and translate the original French text without
digital support, so humans can understand it too! Bernie

> Lawrence wrote:
> > Pardon my babble fish, but the city government of Paris wants to increase bicycle use in their
> > fair city.
> ...<snip amusing translation>
>
> Maybe they should consider hosting some sort of cycling event that raises awareness of
> bicycling. It could include that Arc de Triomph (sp?) structure. --Karen M.

Presumbly, now there are special paths, they won't have to close the roads for the Tour de France

Jeremy Parker

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > VERY interesting! Methinks we need a Quebecer
>
> err. Why quebec? Hows about someone from Zaire or belgium or switzerland or ....

Hey, it's not Zaire, it's the Democratic Republic of Congo...

not to be confused with the Republic of Congo (Brazzaville).

I hate imperialism...

-Luigi