Paris-Nice Stage 1 results

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sonarrat, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    from cyclingnews.com:

    Unofficial 1 Jorg Jaksche (Ger) CSC 17.19 2 David Rebellin
    (Ita) Gerolsteiner 0.04 3 Erik Dekker (Ned) Rabobank 4 David
    Millar (GBr) Cofidis 0.13 5 Alberto Contador (Spa) Liberty
    Seguros 6 Alex Zülle (Swi) Phonak 0.14 7 Bobby Julich (USA)
    CSC 0.16 8 Grischa Niermann (Ger) Rabobank 0.22 9 Jens Voigt
    (Ger) CSC 10 Laurent Brochard (Fra) Ag2r 0.23 11 Frank
    Vandenbroucke (Bel) Fassa Bortolo 12 Oscar Pereiro (Spa)
    Phonak 13 Gorka Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel 0.24 ... 16
    Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) T-Mobile

    Evidently Isidro Nozal made a bumble, missed his start and
    also delayed Dario Frigo. They ran the whole race together
    as a result... I can't wait until 1 pm so I can see the OLN
    tape delay.

    -Sonarrat.

    Tags:

  2. Trg

    Trg Guest

    That explains it. I was about 2 km from the finish and saw
    Frigo pass just a couple of meters ahead of Nozal. I was
    wondering what happened. I though Nozal might have fallen to
    arrive so late.

    BTW, when their teams' cars passed just after them, they
    were fighting for position more fiercely than the two
    riders, honking at each other and trying to cut the other
    car off. For a few seconds there, we had our own mini F1
    race (or maybe just normal Paris traffic ).

    Sonarrat wrote:
    > from cyclingnews.com:
    >
    > Unofficial 1 Jorg Jaksche (Ger) CSC 17.19 2 David Rebellin
    > (Ita) Gerolsteiner 0.04 3 Erik Dekker (Ned) Rabobank 4
    > David Millar (GBr) Cofidis 0.13 5 Alberto Contador (Spa)
    > Liberty Seguros 6 Alex Zülle (Swi) Phonak 0.14 7 Bobby
    > Julich (USA) CSC 0.16 8 Grischa Niermann (Ger) Rabobank
    > 0.22 9 Jens Voigt (Ger) CSC 10 Laurent Brochard (Fra) Ag2r
    > 0.23 11 Frank Vandenbroucke (Bel) Fassa Bortolo 12 Oscar
    > Pereiro (Spa) Phonak 13 Gorka Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel
    > 0.24 ... 16 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) T-Mobile
    >
    > Evidently Isidro Nozal made a bumble, missed his start and
    > also delayed Dario Frigo. They ran the whole race together
    > as a result... I can't wait until 1 pm so I can see the
    > OLN tape delay.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

  3. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    LOL!

    Do you think they were Saiz and Ferretti?

    -Sonarrat.

    in article [email protected], trg at
    [email protected] wrote on 3/7/04 10:47 AM:

    > That explains it. I was about 2 km from the finish and saw
    > Frigo pass just a couple of meters ahead of Nozal. I was
    > wondering what happened. I though Nozal might have fallen
    > to arrive so late.
    >
    > BTW, when their teams' cars passed just after them, they
    > were fighting for position more fiercely than the two
    > riders, honking at each other and trying to cut the other
    > car off. For a few seconds there, we had our own mini F1
    > race (or maybe just normal Paris traffic ).
    >
    >> Evidently Isidro Nozal made a bumble, missed his start
    >> and also delayed Dario Frigo. They ran the whole race
    >> together as a result... I can't wait until 1 pm so I can
    >> see the OLN tape delay.

  4. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Sonarrat wrote:
    > LOL!
    >
    > Do you think they were Saiz and Ferretti?
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

    I doubt it was Saiz in the car. When Saiz is driving, you
    can hear "venga venga" even before the motorcycle passes. I
    had no such warning when Frigo and Nozal went by. Plus, Saiz
    says more than just "venga". He is quite colorful, using a
    lot of words that will get you tossed from polite Spanish
    company. I always look forward to learning a few more words.

    At last year's tour, France 2 spent one stage in the car
    with Saiz. It was entertaining to hear him let loose like a
    sailor (They didn't translate the jucier bits into French).

    > in article [email protected], trg at
    > [email protected] wrote on 3/7/04 10:47 AM:
    >
    >> That explains it. I was about 2 km from the finish and
    >> saw Frigo pass just a couple of meters ahead of Nozal. I
    >> was wondering what happened. I though Nozal might have
    >> fallen to arrive so late.
    >>
    >> BTW, when their teams' cars passed just after them, they
    >> were fighting for position more fiercely than the two
    >> riders, honking at each other and trying to cut the other
    >> car off. For a few seconds there, we had our own mini F1
    >> race (or maybe just normal Paris traffic ).
    >>
    >>> Evidently Isidro Nozal made a bumble, missed his start
    >>> and also delayed Dario Frigo. They ran the whole race
    >>> together as a result... I can't wait until 1 pm so I can
    >>> see the OLN tape delay.

  5. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Sonarrat wrote:
    > I can't wait until 1 pm so I can see the OLN tape delay.

    You watch TT's on TV? Yikes.

  6. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    trg wrote:
    > I was about 2 km from the finish

    On the hill in Issy?

  7. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Bottom of the hill, at the corner of Ave de la Paix and Rue
    Lameroux. I think it's in Vanves.

    Robert Chung wrote:
    > trg wrote:
    >> I was about 2 km from the finish
    >
    > On the hill in Issy?

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    I would truly like to see Bobby Julich ride another
    good year.

    "Sonarrat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BC70A0AA.1E91%[email protected]...
    > from cyclingnews.com:
    >
    > Unofficial 1 Jorg Jaksche (Ger) CSC 17.19 2 David Rebellin
    > (Ita) Gerolsteiner 0.04 3 Erik Dekker (Ned) Rabobank 4
    > David Millar (GBr) Cofidis 0.13 5 Alberto Contador (Spa)
    > Liberty Seguros 6 Alex Zülle (Swi) Phonak 0.14 7 Bobby
    > Julich (USA) CSC 0.16 8 Grischa Niermann (Ger) Rabobank
    > 0.22 9 Jens Voigt (Ger) CSC 10 Laurent Brochard (Fra) Ag2r
    > 0.23 11 Frank Vandenbroucke (Bel) Fassa Bortolo 12 Oscar
    > Pereiro (Spa) Phonak 13 Gorka Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel
    > 0.24 ... 16 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz) T-Mobile
    >
    > Evidently Isidro Nozal made a bumble, missed his start and
    > also delayed Dario Frigo. They ran the whole race together
    > as a result... I can't wait until 1 pm so I can see the
    > OLN tape delay.
    >
    > -Sonarrat.

  9. Jmatt

    Jmatt Guest

    Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<BC70A0AA.1E91%[email protected]>...
    > from cyclingnews.com:
    >
    > Unofficial 1 Jorg Jaksche (Ger) CSC 17.19 2 David Rebellin
    > (Ita) Gerolsteiner 0.04 3 Erik Dekker (Ned) Rabobank

    Nice to see Dekker with good form.

    JMatt

  10. Trg

    Trg Guest

    Tom Kunich wrote:
    > I would truly like to see Bobby Julich ride another
    > good year.

    I have a feeling you may get your wish. He seems very happy
    at CSC. http://www.team-csc.com/ny_index.asp?n_id=50 .

    When he rode past me today, he was really hitting it. It's
    funny, but in a ITT you can often tell who's got a good
    time going by how they look when they go past. That and by
    how blurry the photo is. Judging by the photo I took, he
    was flying :)

  11. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article [email protected], JMatt at

    > Sonarrat <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<BC70A0AA.1E91%[email protected]>...
    >> from cyclingnews.com:
    >>
    >> Unofficial 1 Jorg Jaksche (Ger) CSC 17.19 2 David
    >> Rebellin (Ita) Gerolsteiner 0.04 3 Erik Dekker (Ned)
    >> Rabobank
    >
    > Nice to see Dekker with good form.

    Nice indeed, and same goes for Julich, Vandenbroucke,
    Leipheimer, and a few others who had fallen off their
    best. Also nice to see a new face in the top ten in the
    form of Liberty Seguros' Alberto Contador, who is 21 years
    old! I'm almost exactly a year younger than him; if I
    busted my ass for the next year, I'd be absolutely elated
    to land where he is.

    Botero is still a question mark, but at least he is racing.

    As for Jaksche, what can I say? Perhaps he will improve on
    last year's 10th place in the TdF.

    -Sonarrat.

  12. Sonarrat

    Sonarrat Guest

    in article BC7102D2.1F8C%[email protected], Sonarrat at

    > As for Jaksche, what can I say? Perhaps he will improve on
    > last year's 10th place in the TdF.

    17th... I meant 17th.

    -Sonarrat.

  13. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Sonarrat wrot
    > Nice indeed, and same goes for Julich,
    > Vandenbroucke, Leipheimer, and a few others who had
    > fallen off their best.

    Leipheimer was hoping to do better. However, from the CN
    article, it seems he may have been a bit scared of the wet
    roads more than lacking raw fitness. He obviously needs to
    prove himself.

    Dan

  14. Howard Kveck

    Howard Kveck Guest

    In article <3%[email protected]>,
    Dan Connelly <[email protected]_e_e_e._o_r_g> wrote:

    > Sonarrat wrot
    > > Nice indeed, and same goes for Julich,
    > > Vandenbroucke, Leipheimer, and a few others who had
    > > fallen off their best.
    >
    > Leipheimer was hoping to do better. However, from the CN
    > article, it seems he may have been a bit scared of the wet
    > roads more than lacking raw fitness. He obviously needs to
    > prove himself.
    >
    > Dan

    It did seem that a lot of guys were being extra cautious
    because of the conditions. I hope that Levi can make up
    the time deficit. I'd like to see him do well this year.

    --
    tanx, Howard

    Q: Why did the metalhead cross the road?
    R: Because he's a gullible moron who'll buy
    anything with a skull on it.

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

  15. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Dan Connelly wrote:
    > However, from the CN article, it seems he may have been a
    > bit scared of the wet roads more than lacking raw fitness.

    I'd like to know what the start order vs. finishing time
    relationship was. The weather was quite squall-like all
    day long. It was dryish at the beginning and end, and it
    was alternately sunny, raining, and hailing all through
    the middle.

  16. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:

    > I'd like to know what the start order vs. finishing time
    > relationship was. The weather was quite squall-like all
    > day long. It was dryish at the beginning and end, and it
    > was alternately sunny, raining, and hailing all through
    > the middle.

    Just to clarify, that wasn't meant as a criticism of the
    results, or an excuse for any rider -- it was simply to say
    that one shouldn't try to divine a rider's fitness (or lack
    thereof) from small differences in time on this stage.

  17. Robert Chung schreef:

    > I'd like to know what the start order vs. finishing time
    > relationship was. The weather was quite squall-like all
    > day long. It was dryish at the beginning and end, and it
    > was alternately sunny, raining, and hailing all through
    > the middle.

    VDB SUFFERED MOST I read. Well maybe that's just
    regenerating the hype, ha.

  18. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would truly like to see Bobby Julich ride another
    > good year.

    I wouldn't believe that. Wait until the first mountain
    stage.

  19. Wayne Pein

    Wayne Pein Guest

    I'm certainly glad OLN is broadcasting the race, but that
    was some shallow coverage, about like typical track and
    field coverage.

    I would love to have seen the real action when the big
    split occured.

    I suppose somebody figured not much was going to happen
    until the finish, expecting a sprint, and decided that
    scarce coverage dollars shouldn't be spent covering the
    usual boring leadup.

    Wayne

  20. Wayne Pein schreef:

    > II suppose somebody figured not much was going to happen
    > until the finish, expecting a sprint, and decided that
    > scarce coverage dollars shouldn't be spent covering the
    > usual boring leadup.

    Since they just buy the images rights from a French chain,
    they don't have to anticipate of expect anything They
    probably simply have no clue about what's interesting. I saw
    the split on Flemish TV journal.

    I have heard this remark too about English language Le Tour
    of France videos, showing a soloist to the finish for the
    last kms, but nothing of the race plot. Funny stuff.