Paris-Nice

wolfix said:
If Boonen would pull a win off today with the climbs being what they are , we would have to really re-think the man. Today's stage would be fantastic cycling memory.... but I am getting ahead of myself because we are just at the 1st climb ......

what is it with you Boonen n*t huggers... get over it... the man can't climb... and he will never win a grand tour because of that. powering over a 1km cobbled climb in tour of flander is not climbing!

his performance in P-N speaks volumes...

Powerful Pete said:
Apologies, could you explain? :confused:
What basketball announcers on radio or tv say when a player makes a great shot from a certain position on the court...it being the height of basketball season here in US

bobke said:
What basketball announcers on radio or tv say when a player makes a great shot from a certain position on the court...it being the height of basketball season here in US
Ahah. Now I see. Basketball is, apparently, quite followed in Northern Italy. Not really that much here in the Centre-South. :eek:

Boonen got off his bike at km 7 in today's stage.... hope he's not sick. Could be.

Jullich quit as well and did not start the last stage.

whiteboytrash said:
Boonen got off his bike at km 7 in today's stage.... hope he's not sick. Could be.

velonews.com is saying it was planned in his prep for Milan SanRemo (Boonen).. doing 3 huge 1st Cat climbs is likely not too conducive... why doesn't he just go to T-A like all the other sprinters?

whiteboytrash said:

TB is not sick, he's Tom Boonen and training.

But CSC:
Eurosport--

The CSC team have lost several key riders in recent races.

Stuart O'Grady broke his collar bone and five ribs during stage two of Tirreno-Adriatico and will miss next Saturday's Milan-San Remo race.

Christian Vandevelde, Michael Blaudzun, Matti Breschel and Dave Zabriskie are all injured, while Bobby Julich pulled out of the Paris-Nice race on Sunday after hitting a motorbike.

doctorSpoc said:
what is it with you Boonen n*t huggers... get over it... the man can't climb... and he will never win a grand tour because of that. powering over a 1km cobbled climb in tour of flander is not climbing!

Doesn't it though? First he rides an excellent prologue, and then he does very well (for a sprinter) on the climbs. Seems to me he has plenty of potential to target more races than a purely straight sprinter.

I'm no expert on race manners, but I was pretty disappointed that Boonen pulled out today while wearing the green jersey. Doesn't seem to me to be very good form to drop out on the last stage when you're wearing a jersey.

tcklyde said:
Doesn't it though? First he rides an excellent prologue, and then he does very well (for a sprinter) on the climbs. Seems to me he has plenty of potential to target more races than a purely straight sprinter.

Agreed - and he's only 25.

I think TB will be a megastar if he keeps improving the way he is.

For Boonen, I think it might become somewhat dull for him; he will need a new challenge; of course, the buzz is already there regarding the possibilities of him having a go at a grand tour; the progression would take several years, but given his physiological markers I do think it's a possibility.

And congrats to Floyd! Although, thumbs down on the 70's cop chique:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/mar06/parisnice06/index.php?id=parisnice067/Par654011

Without the little stuffy-lion and the fleurs you'd think it was the Daytona 500! Pass the hot dogs and beer ....

Catabolic_Jones said:
I SMELL AMMONIA!

i'm with you... you smell ammonia?... i smell crack... 'cause anyone who thinks Boonen is going to win a grand tour has gotta be smokin' crack.. and lots of it!

...get off the pipe DAWG!

Catabolic_Jones said:
For Boonen, I think it might become somewhat dull for him; he will need a new challenge; of course, the buzz is already there regarding the possibilities of him having a go at a grand tour; the progression would take several years, but given his physiological markers I do think it's a possibility.

And congrats to Floyd! Although, thumbs down on the 70's cop chique:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/mar06/parisnice06/index.php?id=parisnice067/Par654011

Without the little stuffy-lion and the fleurs you'd think it was the Daytona 500! Pass the hot dogs and beer ....

Aye - well done Mr Landis.
Good ride.

limerickman said:
Aye - well done Mr Landis.
Good ride.

Agree. Its good to see him achieve something for himself. The confidence will do him good.

Finally out of the shadow of LA.

Congratulations to Landis.
But now I'm not sure if he's going to maintain this level of form for the Tour. He's already very near to his best form and is planning to ride Giro as preparation for the Tour... Maybe it's going to be too much... Maybe his plan is to peak for early season (what he did), than to drop a little bit and than to use Giro to peak again.
Anyway, if he maintains this kind of form, it's going to be unbelievably exciting and interesting GT season.

tcklyde said:
I'm no expert on race manners, but I was pretty disappointed that Boonen pulled out today while wearing the green jersey. Doesn't seem to me to be very good form to drop out on the last stage when you're wearing a jersey.

Green Jersey in PN...be serious. There are very few things that actually matter to TB and PN Green Jersey is not one of them...I mean seriously what other sprinters were in the race. Boonen is preparing for MSR, Flanders, Roubaix...don't ask the man to be a gentlemen for a warmup race.

If anyone can off the top of their head name even 5 winners of the green jersey at PN I will give them a cookie.

doctorSpoc said:

Whats with this only GTs matter bias. Have you watched a classic? It's a different even entirely, especially the kind Boonen wins. By the end of his career when he wins all the classics and a maybe a GT be prepared to call him one of the top 3 riders ever.

Yeah I might be crazy, but he has the potential. He probably won't do it, but he is capable of it. Assuming of course that he is clean.

You're right.... :)

“This allows me one more day of recuperation. Milan-San Remo is just a few days away and I want to save all of my strength for that test,” added Boonen. He also revealed that he would be compensating his team-mates himself for the 2,000-euro prize for the points winner at Paris-Nice that he sacrificed when he quit the race, with Samuel Sanchez inheriting that title.

Boonen will spend Monday inspecting the final 55km for the San Remo route with his team-mates, will then return home for a day on Tuesday, before undertaking his final long training session before San Remo of six hours plus on Wednesday.

bobke said:
TB is not sick, he's Tom Boonen and training. .