Paris Roubaix 2004

Withnail

Jan 26, 2004
I want to go and watch the race at a good section of pave. Does anyone know where I could find a decent route map for the race? Thanks

Originally posted by Withnail
I want to go and watch the race at a good section of pave. Does anyone know where I could find a decent route map for the race? Thanks

The route for Paris Roubaix doesn't get published until the end ofFeb/beginning of March. They then put on the website a map of the sections of the pave and the distances. You need to get hold of a good Michelin map or the equivalent of the ordnance survey map and plot it out.

It appears on the www.letour.fr website

Last years route is here: http://www.letour.fr/stf/roubaix/2003/us/parcours.html which would be a good start for you. Expect to see more detailed info at this website (from ASO the organisers) or via places like cyclingnews.com nearer the time.

Just thinking about doing this myself.

cheers

Matt

I have also plans to go to Paris-Roubaix this year, especially to see the Finish on the velodrome in Roubaix. I know that the entrance is free but has anyone been there before? Do you have to get there hours and hours in advance to get a good spot?

Cheers,

DH.

Originally posted by dhovenkamp
I have also plans to go to Paris-Roubaix this year, especially to see the Finish on the velodrome in Roubaix. I know that the entrance is free but has anyone been there before? Do you have to get there hours and hours in advance to get a good spot?

Last year I watched the start of the race in Compiegne and then drove up to Roubaix. I was going to watch it on route but the traffic was terrible. Be prepared for a lot of walking at the end to get to the Velodrome and sit and watch it on the large screen imbibing whatever beverage and food that takes your fancy. I can recommend the frites and mayonaisse. You see so much more of the action even if you have to put up with Daniel Mangeas commentating. Don't rush away at the end you are able to get pretty close to some of the teams and riders. I have an outstanding photo of Peter van Petegem trying to look really cool in sunglasses walking along carrying his winners bouquet.

Get to France and buy either the Paris Nord or Het Volk newspaper on the day. They both carry a broadsheet sized map of the route with really good detail.

I watched at Ochies (2 sections of Pave) and Cysong before hitting a bar to watch the finish. Ochies had a large scree and village fete but i dont know if they do that each year.

You need to park on theright side of road closures etc to get going again.

I'm am following this plan of action once more