Paris-Roubaix 2006 - Who's Your Pick?

meehs

Nov 7, 2003
No Paris-Roubaix thread here yet (at least that I could see), so I thought I'd start one. So who's going to win it this year? The Discovery boys made a nice showing at the ToF but Boonen looks unstoppable. Hincapie looks good this year but he seems to have an incredible knack for not getting into the right break. He never does! Anyway, I'm taking Boonen for the ToF/P-R double again this year. Who are you all picking?

Head says Boonen does it again, but heart says hincapie wins with hoste on his wheel for 2nd after they attack and counter boonen in the last 5-10 km until he just can't respond anymore.

gregkeller said:
Head says Boonen does it again, but heart says hincapie wins with hoste on his wheel for 2nd after they attack and counter boonen in the last 5-10 km until he just can't respond anymore.
Same here. I'd be very happy for big George if he could pull off a victory against Boonen.

theres no thread in here coz people keep starting classics threads in the grand tours section....dont know why.

big tom and mr h are the obvious favorites, wouldnt it be great to see a two up sprint between them. i dont know who i'd like to see win, either deserves it.

fab cancellara will be up there, as will j a flecha. i hope the spanish arrow shoots straight.

leif will be mr h's greatest asset, expect him to ride himself to a standstill to get his leader over the line first.

pvp wont do much, anything less than first will be considered a failure, tough call but true.

i'd love to see eric do a great ride, this is the kind of races he should be targeting.

my other hope which i dont think will eventuate will be for rain, sick i know but arent the wet roubaix's the best ones eg '94

when eddy ruled said:
theres no thread in here coz people keep starting classics threads in the grand tours section....dont know why.

big tom and mr h are the obvious favorites, wouldnt it be great to see a two up sprint between them. i dont know who i'd like to see win, either deserves it.

fab cancellara will be up there, as will j a flecha. i hope the spanish arrow shoots straight.

leif will be mr h's greatest asset, expect him to ride himself to a standstill to get his leader over the line first.

pvp wont do much, anything less than first will be considered a failure, tough call but true.

i'd love to see eric do a great ride, this is the kind of races he should be targeting.

my other hope which i dont think will eventuate will be for rain, sick i know but arent the wet roubaix's the best ones eg '94

Hahaha! I'd wouldn't mind seeing it rain. Always makes for a more interesting race. To be honest I wouldn't mind seeing Big George win it once. But in order to do it he must be in the right break for a change!

hombredesubaru said:
George!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
George never attacks.
George never makes the right break.

George will only win if Boonen, and several
other favorites puncture, crash, and ride just to finish.

George doesn't stand a chance. Think about it -- is he capable of initiating a winning break? Not that I've seen. Nor will he be able to contend in a sprint, in a velodrome, against the likes of Boonen, or Hushovd.

I like George very much; he has a genial personality, and is a genuinely likeable guy, but he lacks the qualities to bring him to the top of the podium.

I feel the only riders in this race who have a legitimate shot at beating Boonen are those on his own team, such as Pozzato and Nuyens; or, possibly, PVP, should he have great legs.

strummer_fan said:
George never attacks.
George never makes the right break.

George will only win if Boonen, and several
other favorites puncture, crash, and ride just to finish.
George is in the right break with two teammates.
Boonen is isolated.
Game shifts to DC.