Paris-Roubaix & Flat Tyres

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Nickzx6r, May 12, 2004.

  1. Nickzx6r

    Nickzx6r Guest

    Today I finally got around to watching the P-R from
    last week.

    It seems quite common in pro road races for riders to get
    flat tyres, but I can't figure out why that should be.

    At the risk of angering the tyre gods, I'll admit that in
    about 40000kms of riding, I've had less than 10 flat tyres -
    and three of those were caused by worn out rim tape.

    Presumably the pros tyres are new and unlikely to be worn
    out, and the pressures correct. I realise P-R is
    particularly rough over the cobbles but even in 'normal'
    road races they seem to puncture quite often.

    Am I just lucky to have not had many flats? Do the pro road
    racers use singles instead of clinchers?

    It just doesn't make sense to my feeble mind :)

    Thoughts?

    Cheers.
    --
    Nick

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2003
    Messages:
    1,806
    >Originally posted by Nickzx6r
    >It seems quite common in pro road races for riders to get
    >flat tyres, but I can't figure out why that should be.

    Maybe it just seems strange but there are a lot of riders in one
    big group, riding across pretty dodgy roads. With so may riders
    across the road someone is bound to collect some rubbish and
    puncture.

    >Am I just lucky to have not had many flats?

    Yes..ish. It could be that you ride on nice roads or you have
    good technique and spot 'puncture hotspots' early.

    The racers are travelling at speed and concentrating on the
    race - they wont have near as much time to react to glass, etc.
    on the road.

    >Do the pro road racers use singles instead of clinchers?

    Some of them do, yes. I'm not sure on the difference that would
    make to puncture rates though.

    Could be that the super fast tyres are a little more susceptible to
    punctures too?

    hth
    hippy

  3. gescom

    gescom New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    I've watched the Paris-Roubaix highlights from last week twice now, I love it :). 51.1 kilometres of pavé!! 'Hell of the north', they aren't joking about that, especially the velodrome finish after 260km of racing. Its cruel that after riding for that long you have to win the thing in a track sprint!

    I found an article on cycling news on the different setups the teams use for the race,
    here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/teamtech04.php?id=tech/2004/features/roubaix
    and here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/teamtech04.php?id=tech/2004/features/roubaix_2

    Looks like some of the teams used tubeless for the first time. The bianchi team used 28's for their rear tyre. Cantilever brakes were used as well.

    Its good to read how the teams and individual riders differed in selecting equipment. The cannondale cyclocross bike with built in Headshok suspension would have been nice.

    As for flats I've never had one on the road probably because I always carry a spare tube with me (appeases the tyre gods I guess). Using Conti top touring tyres helps a bit.

  4. "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today I finally got around to watching the P-R from
    > last week.
    >
    > It seems quite common in pro road races for riders to get
    > flat tyres, but I can't figure out why that should be.
    >
    > At the risk of angering the tyre gods, I'll admit that in
    > about 40000kms of riding, I've had less than 10 flat tyres
    > - and three of those were caused by worn out rim tape.
    >
    > Presumably the pros tyres are new and unlikely to be worn
    > out, and the pressures correct. I realise P-R is
    > particularly rough over the cobbles but even in 'normal'
    > road races they seem to puncture quite often.
    >
    > Am I just lucky to have not had many flats? Do the pro
    > road racers use singles instead of clinchers?
    >
    > It just doesn't make sense to my feeble mind :)
    >
    > Thoughts?
    >
    > Cheers.
    > --
    > Nick

    Continetal claim to have had their tyres on the last three
    winners of the Paris - Roubaix.

    http://www.conti-
    tyres.co.uk/conticycle/road_tyres/tubulars/tubular_comp_d-
    efault.htm

    I've recently put some Conti clinchers on my bike and I
    think they're great!

    Marty

    Marty

  5. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "gescom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've watched the Paris-Roubaix highlights from last week
    > twice now, I love
    it :). 51.1 kilometres of pavé!! 'Hell of the north', they
    aren't joking about that, especially the velodrome
    finish after 260km of racing. Its cruel that after
    riding for that long you have to win the thing in a
    track sprint!

    > I found an article on cycling news on the different setups
    > the teams use for the race, here: http://www.cyclingnews.-
    > com/teamtech04.php?id=tech/2004/features/roubaix and here:
    > ://www.cyclingnews.com/teamtech04.php?id=tech/2004/featur-
    > es/roubaix_2
    >
    > Looks like some of the teams used tubeless for the first
    > time. The bianchi team used 28's for their rear tyre.
    > Cantilever brakes were used as well.

    It should be noted that the Alessio-Bianchi team only
    had *one* puncture the whole day. I'm sure those fatter
    tyres helped.

    If you've ever ridden on the cobbles they use in P-R you'll
    know why they get so many flats. The cobbles are as rough as
    buggery - far worse than anything you'll get in Belgium or
    anywhere else. The unevenness means that your wheel is
    hitting them front on rather than "rolling" over the top.
    The Arenberg Forest is like riding up gutters for 2 km.

    Also a lot of riders choose the smooth dirt on the side
    of the road, but there's more crap collected there so
    more likelihood of a puncture. And if it's wet, the water
    acts like a lubricant for anything sharp coming in
    contact with the tyre.

    cheers, Jeff

  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    NickZX6R wrote:
    > Today I finally got around to watching the P-R from
    > last week.
    >
    > It seems quite common in pro road races for riders to get
    > flat tyres, but I can't figure out why that should be.

    There are lots of trade-offs in tyres. Wide, thick touring
    tyres with kevlar belting, plastic liners, thorn-proof
    tubes, and self-seal slime might eliminate punctures, but
    you'll still loose the race. Weight and rolling resistance.

  7. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > NickZX6R wrote:
    > > Today I finally got around to watching the P-R from
    > > last week.
    > >
    > > It seems quite common in pro road races for riders to
    > > get flat tyres, but I can't figure out why that
    > > should be.
    >
    > There are lots of trade-offs in tyres. Wide, thick touring
    > tyres with kevlar belting, plastic liners, thorn-proof
    > tubes, and self-seal slime might eliminate punctures, but
    > you'll still loose the race. Weight and rolling
    > resistance.

    Tell that to Backstedt :)

    Jeff

  8. Unregistered