Paris Roubaix not live this year?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brian Roth, Apr 11, 2003.

  1. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    Is it my imagination or was OLN touting "LIVE!" coverage of PR this year. As it is, there will be 2
    hours of same day coverage, but I could swear that it was going to be live as the last few years.

    Apologies in advance to Canadian viewers who might not get any coverage at all.

    Tags:

  2. Gord Woolley

    Gord Woolley Guest

    Don't apologize for us... I'm certain OLN Canada has a quality line up of fishing and strongman
    shows to keep us happy until Hockey Night in Canada hits the airwaves.

    OLN Canada SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    > From: [email protected] (brian roth) Organization: http://groups.google.com/ Newsgroups:
    > rec.bicycles.racing Date: 11 Apr 2003 12:26:33 -0700 Subject: Paris Roubaix not live this year?
    >
    > Is it my imagination or was OLN touting "LIVE!" coverage of PR this year. As it is, there will
    > be 2 hours of same day coverage, but I could swear that it was going to be live as the last
    > few years.
    >
    > Apologies in advance to Canadian viewers who might not get any coverage at all.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (brian
    roth) wrote:

    > Is it my imagination or was OLN touting "LIVE!" coverage of PR this year. As it is, there will
    > be 2 hours of same day coverage, but I could swear that it was going to be live as the last
    > few years.
    >
    > Apologies in advance to Canadian viewers who might not get any coverage at all.

    Don't rub it in, but I may be able to get a friend in the US to send me a tape. Piracy, shmiracy,
    who cares. If they don't want piracy, then maybe canadian broadcasters could at least get into the
    20th century.

    From what I saw it's sunday from 4-6, which certainly isn't live. Maybe they tape the last 2 hours
    live but air it later. RIghts or something.

    I guess I'll listen on live audio on eurosport!

  4. Db

    Db Guest

    > OLN Canada SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    so does tsn (still haven't figured out what the 's' satnds for).

    Darius

  5. In article <[email protected]>, "db" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > OLN Canada SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > >

    > so does tsn (still haven't figured out what the 's' satnds for).
    >
    > Darius

    Yep, Totally Shit Network

    Does anyone get Fox Sport World Canada? Do they still have that sports news show with those two
    geeks who know nothing about sports? We used to get it on Digital, but don't anymore. At least they
    carried Rugby.

  6. Marlene (and everyone else),

    Get a US dish. It's worth it. Plus you get almost every hockey game. There's a couple of exciting
    teams i.e. Minnesota that are on lots. Paris-Nice was particularly good this year. It was just Paul
    Sherwan and a toned down, and thus better than ever Bob Roll. Live everyday. Even Tour of Flanders
    was reasonable.

    James P. Spooner

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (brian
    > roth) wrote:
    >
    > > Is it my imagination or was OLN touting "LIVE!" coverage of PR this year. As it is, there will
    > > be 2 hours of same day coverage, but I could swear that it was going to be live as the last few
    > > years.
    > >
    > > Apologies in advance to Canadian viewers who might not get any coverage at all.
    >
    > Don't rub it in, but I may be able to get a friend in the US to send me a tape. Piracy, shmiracy,
    > who cares. If they don't want piracy, then maybe canadian broadcasters could at least get into the
    > 20th century.
    >
    > From what I saw it's sunday from 4-6, which certainly isn't live. Maybe they tape the last 2 hours
    > live but air it later. RIghts or something.
    >
    > I guess I'll listen on live audio on eurosport!

  7. Oldphart

    Oldphart Guest

    Has anyone noted yet that "live coverage" would occure at 4am eastern 1am Pacific? And yeah it sucks
    that we only get 2 hrs of "highlights" in the states but he it beats the S H I T out of
    fishing........

    James P Spooner wrote:
    > Marlene (and everyone else),
    >
    > Get a US dish. It's worth it. Plus you get almost every hockey game. There's a couple of exciting
    > teams i.e. Minnesota that are on lots. Paris-Nice was particularly good this year. It was just
    > Paul Sherwan and a toned down, and thus better than ever Bob Roll. Live everyday. Even Tour of
    > Flanders was reasonable.
    >

    > James P. Spooner
    >

    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (brian
    >>roth) wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is it my imagination or was OLN touting "LIVE!" coverage of PR this year. As it is, there will
    >>>be 2 hours of same day coverage, but I could swear that it was going to be live as the last
    >>>few years.
    >>>
    >>>Apologies in advance to Canadian viewers who might not get any coverage at all.
    >>
    >>Don't rub it in, but I may be able to get a friend in the US to send me a tape. Piracy, shmiracy,
    >>who cares. If they don't want piracy, then maybe canadian broadcasters could at least get into the
    >>20th century.
    >>
    >>From what I saw it's sunday from 4-6, which certainly isn't live. Maybe they tape the last 2 hours
    >>live but air it later. RIghts or something.
    >>
    >>I guess I'll listen on live audio on eurosport!

  8. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    I don't want to hurt you Canadians. But after spending a year in Nova Scotia. GOD I GLAD to be back
    in the USA if not only for better OLN programming.... Yes Canadian OLN SUCKS! "gord woolley"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BABC9105.223B6%[email protected]...
    > Don't apologize for us... I'm certain OLN Canada has a quality line up of fishing and strongman
    shows
    > to keep us happy until Hockey Night in Canada hits the airwaves.
    >
    > OLN Canada SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > > From: [email protected] (brian roth) Organization: http://groups.google.com/ Newsgroups:
    > > rec.bicycles.racing Date: 11 Apr 2003 12:26:33 -0700 Subject: Paris Roubaix not live this year?
    > >
    > > Is it my imagination or was OLN touting "LIVE!" coverage of PR this year. As it is, there will
    > > be 2 hours of same day coverage, but I could swear that it was going to be live as the last few
    > > years.
    > >
    > > Apologies in advance to Canadian viewers who might not get any coverage at all.

  9. Db

    Db Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Yep, Totally Shit Network
    >
    > Does anyone get Fox Sport World Canada?

    football, football, football, and even more football. Then maybe sometimes some rugby and cricket.
    Even threir world sports report is 99% soccer. I guess of you like football then you'd be very happy
    but their name is really misleading.

    > Do they still have that sports news show with those two geeks who know nothing about sports? We
    > used to get it on Digital, but don't anymore. At least they carried Rugby.

    Don't all the 'sports' networks have these kind of geeks doing the news? ;-) My problem with these
    networks is that they always seem to stick to the same shows (why do they think 4-5 hours of live
    golf/curling is interesting viewing??) and don't broadcast a good variety of sports- i haven't seen
    any pro cycling, track and field, xc skiing etc. Oh well, at least we've finally got some nice
    weather and i'll go for a ride. Darius

  10. In article <[email protected]>, "CuCycln" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I don't want to hurt you Canadians. But after spending a year in Nova Scotia. GOD I GLAD to be
    > back in the USA if not only for better OLN programming.... Yes Canadian OLN SUCKS!

    Canadian sports tv sucks. I like hockey as much as any canadian, but there are other sports. You'd
    never know it though. The problem is that they are mostly geared toward older, tubby guys who
    WATCH sports, but who don't do them. God forbid we encourage anyone to get up and out- the ratings
    would fall!

    However, our coverage of the olympics is envied by americans who are stuck with wretched putrid NBC.
    NOthing but Commentators!

  11. In article <[email protected]>, "db" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > Yep, Totally Shit Network
    > >
    > > Does anyone get Fox Sport World Canada?
    >
    > football, football, football, and even more football. Then maybe sometimes some rugby and cricket.
    > Even threir world sports report is 99% soccer. I guess of you like football then you'd be very
    > happy but their name is really misleading. '

    I know, we used to call it Fox Soccer World.

    > > Do they still have that sports news show with those two geeks who know nothing about sports? We
    > > used to get it on Digital, but don't anymore. At least they carried Rugby.
    >
    > Don't all the 'sports' networks have these kind of geeks doing the news? ;-) My problem with these
    > networks is that they always seem to stick to the same shows (why do they think 4-5 hours of live
    > golf/curling is interesting viewing??) and don't broadcast a good variety of sports- i haven't
    > seen any pro cycling, track and field, xc skiing etc. Oh well, at least we've finally got some
    > nice weather and i'll go for a ride. Darius

    Totally. They really neglect those sports, although Sportsnet shows a lot of skiing coverage, and
    CBC does cover track and field. But it's scattered all over the place. I don't miss FSW except for
    Rugby. They had great, live rugby coverage. Often the games were on at 3 am, so we'd tape them!

  12. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "CuCycln" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I don't want to hurt you Canadians. But after spending a year in Nova Scotia. GOD I GLAD to be
    > > back in the USA if not only for better OLN programming.... Yes Canadian OLN SUCKS!
    >
    > Canadian sports tv sucks. I like hockey as much as any canadian, but there are other sports. You'd
    > never know it though. The problem is that they are mostly geared toward older, tubby guys who
    > WATCH sports, but who don't do them. God forbid we encourage anyone to get up and out- the ratings
    > would fall!
    >
    > However, our coverage of the olympics is envied by americans who are stuck with wretched putrid
    > NBC. NOthing but Commentators!

    That not a fair trade off...I'll take the US OLN any day! Olympics every 4 years. In general
    Canadian TV sucks. They ought to get the government out of it!

  13. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    So... Where is OLN "Bay Area" now? AT&T cable used to have it on ch. 404. Now COMCAST bought out
    at&t... where the hell is OLN?

    HELP!! Please.

    -Ken

    "brian roth" <[email protected]
    > Is it my imagination or was OLN touting "LIVE!" coverage of PR this year. As it is, there will
    > be 2 hours of same day coverage, but I could swear that it was going to be live as the last
    > few years.
    >
    > Apologies in advance to Canadian viewers who might not get any coverage at all.

  14. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    > Where is OLN "Bay Area" now? AT&T cable used to have it on ch. 404. Now COMCAST bought out at&t...
    > where the hell is OLN?

    Looks like they moved it to channel 81.

    Whew!!

    > "brian roth" <[email protected]
    > > Is it my imagination or was OLN touting "LIVE!" coverage of PR this year. As it is, there will
    > > be 2 hours of same day coverage, but I could swear that it was going to be live as the last few
    > > years.

    No apologies...

  15. Bret Wade

    Bret Wade Guest

    Ken Papai wrote:
    > So... Where is OLN "Bay Area" now? AT&T cable used to have it on ch. 404. Now COMCAST bought out
    > at&t... where the hell is OLN?
    >
    > HELP!! Please.
    >
    > -Ken

    The mental aspect is important in tv viewing too. You should get DirecTV and then I could help you.
    Or better yet, get a DirecTivo box and tell it to record anything related to bike racing, and you
    don't need to know the channel. You end up with a surprising amount of children's programming
    involving bikes, but you also never miss the good stuff.

    Bret

  16. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    Last 2-3 years they (OLN) showed the final two hrs of the race LIVE, starting close to 7AM PDT.

  17. In article <[email protected]>, "CuCycln" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In article <[email protected]>, "CuCycln" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I don't want to hurt you Canadians. But after spending a year in Nova Scotia. GOD I GLAD to be
    > > > back in the USA if not only for better OLN programming.... Yes Canadian OLN SUCKS!
    > >
    > > Canadian sports tv sucks. I like hockey as much as any canadian, but there are other sports.
    > > You'd never know it though. The problem is that they are mostly geared toward older, tubby guys
    > > who WATCH sports, but who don't do them. God forbid we encourage anyone to get up and out- the
    > > ratings would fall!
    > >
    > > However, our coverage of the olympics is envied by americans who are stuck with wretched putrid
    > > NBC. NOthing but Commentators!
    >
    > That not a fair trade off...I'll take the US OLN any day! Olympics every 4 years. In general
    > Canadian TV sucks. They ought to get the government out of it!

    I agree with that, it's just that it's the one thing we seem to do better. The canadian broadcasting
    regulators need to get into the modern age. They don't realize that canadians know what americans
    are watching and we envy them! TV is one of the few things I envy about the USA- they have better
    channels, better programming, more variety, and they aren't held hostage by regulations created in
    the 1950s. I know there is a downside to the deregulation, and there is plenty of crap on american
    tv, but they have a lot more variety than we do. We pay plenty for cable and satellite and get stuck
    with tons of dreck.

  18. "Marlene Blanshay" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I know there is a downside to the deregulation, and there is plenty of crap on american tv, but
    > they have a lot more variety than we do.

    Marlene, I know you can set your sights higher than variety of crap being superior to less crap.

    Carl Who adamantly agrees that plenty of American tv and most tv in general is crap.

  19. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    Marlene.. I spoke to you before about OLN Canada and the lack of cycling on
    it. Well now that I'm back in the US I'm really enjoying OLN in the US. Sorry but Canada really has
    to get up to the 21st. Century. It is a total disgrace that Canada is falling behind. There is
    no need for it and I know most Canadians which it would. Time for a new PM "Marlene Blanshay"

  20. In article <[email protected]>, "CuCycln" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Marlene.. I spoke to you before about OLN Canada and the lack of cycling on
    > it. Well now that I'm back in the US I'm really enjoying OLN in the US. Sorry but Canada really
    > has to get up to the 21st. Century. It is a total disgrace that Canada is falling behind.
    > There is no need for it and I know most Canadians which it would. Time for a new PM

    I don't know how much a PM would make a difference, but there's no doubt that the canadian
    broadcasting industry is stuck in neutral.

    Incidentally, I remember reading that a lot of the digital channels are not doing that well because
    they aren't getting that many subscribers. One of those was OLN. They could actually gain
    subscribers if they actually showed skiing, cycling, etc, but they refuse to acknowledge this
    possibility.

    However, all is not lost. I read today that RAI international has applied to the CRTC (For
    americans, that's the canadian equivalent of the FCC) to offer its 24 hour service to canadians.
    We already have TElelatino, but it isn't exclusively italian. They do air some shows from RAI,
    and a couple

    because I didn't know it would be on, but I saw the last 20 minutes or so.

    RAI international apparently does show cycling, natch. Of course, I am not getting my hopes up yet.
    The CRTC may not go for it, or they may end up saying yes but changing it so that some stuff is
    'canadian' and that means they'll probably ditch stuff they think no one will be interested in,
    meaning cycling. But if we got RAI international, that could mean seeing the Giro and other races.
    Of course, the commentary is in italian, but this is sports, it's not like you can't figure out
    what's going on.