Paris Roubaix picks

Powerful Pete said:
And forget about Hincapie. The guy is off the programme from the good ole days. He is a good rider, not a champion. This guy makes Pozzato look like a hard man... LOL.
I agree. I've grown quite weary of all the promoting done around Hincapie. Enough already. I like how you put it, he is a good rider but not champion caliber. Trouble is, with American sports fans, they always have to promote someone as THE potential winner. Summer Olympics are more popular in the U.S. than the Winter ones because we tend to rake in more medals, in proportion. The generic U.S. sports fan wants to see someone get the GOLD medal, nothing less than that.

hawkeye87 said:
I agree. I've grown quite weary of all the promoting done around Hincapie. Enough already. I like how you put it, he is a good rider but not champion caliber. Trouble is, with American sports fans, they always have to promote someone as THE potential winner. Summer Olympics are more popular in the U.S. than the Winter ones because we tend to rake in more medals, in proportion. The generic U.S. sports fan wants to see someone get the GOLD medal, nothing less than that.
I know that Hincapie had a flat, and lots of people will say... "Well, if he didn't have a flat...he could have..."

And I say...

Wasn't Hincapie running Carbon Semi-Aero wheels with 25mm Tubulars?

Boonen and Ballan were both using traditional, high-spoke count alloy-box rims with 27mm paris roubaix special tubulars (FMB and Vittoria Pave respectively).

I just think that the race preparation is a huge part of winning here, and the rim and tire choice could have added to Hincapie's troubles.

thoughts?

strummer_fan said:
I know that Hincapie had a flat, and lots of people will say... "Well, if he didn't have a flat...he could have..."

And I say...

Wasn't Hincapie running Carbon Semi-Aero wheels with 25mm Tubulars?

Boonen and Ballan were both using traditional, high-spoke count alloy-box rims with 27mm paris roubaix special tubulars (FMB and Vittoria Pave respectively).

I just think that the race preparation is a huge part of winning here, and the rim and tire choice could have added to Hincapie's troubles.

thoughts?
Spot on. His rear wheel failed. From Velonews:

The tall American said he was strong enough to have been with the winners until he ran into trouble. He was riding at the front on the Bersée section of cobblestones, 53km from the finish, and racing as well as he has ever ridden in the Hell of the North, when his rear wheel broke.

He never learns.

Bro Deal said:

The tall American said he was strong enough to have been with the winners until he ran into trouble. He was riding at the front on the Bersée section of cobblestones, 53km from the finish, and racing as well as he has ever ridden in the Hell of the North, when his rear wheel broke.

He never learns.[/QUOTE

The problem with George has always been poser first and racer second.

Flathead said:
Bro Deal said:

He never learns.[/QUOTE

The problem with George has always been poser first and racer second.

I'd say he's a poser first, ****** second, **** third, cockhead fourth and then a racer fifth.... unless Lance is in the room & then he's just gay.

Powerful Pete said:
Some people are riding the Roubaix with CF rims? :eek: Isn't that a bit... risky? :confused:
Apparently Magnus Backstead's deep carbon rims both broke in the Arrenberg and he didn't finish.

whiteboytrash said:
I'd say he's a poser first, ****** second, **** third, cockhead fourth and then a racer fifth.... unless Lance is in the room & then he's just gay.
Ok WBT, you have spouted enough venom on Hincapie. We all get it that you hate him. Whatever you may say, it is clear that the peloton doesn't share your appraisal of him. Why else would the front group accelerate significantly when they knew that Hincapie was behind having technical problems?

TheDarkLord said:
Ok WBT, you have spouted enough venom on Hincapie. We all get it that you hate him. Whatever you may say, it is clear that the peloton doesn't share your appraisal of him. Why else would the front group accelerate significantly when they knew that Hincapie was behind having technical problems?

Because they didn't want him on the front slowing them down or taking them out with one of his crashes. Simple.

whiteboytrash said:
Because they didn't want him on the front slowing them down or taking them out with one of his crashes. Simple.
:rolleyes: You sound very much like the Lance apologists.

TheDarkLord said:
Why else would the front group accelerate significantly when they knew that Hincapie was behind having technical problems?
Is there any reason to think the peloton specifically accellerated because of Hincapie, or after the Arenburg because Pozatto and Flecha were in trouble?

Wayne666 said:
Is there any reason to think the peloton specifically accellerated because of Hincapie, or after the Arenburg because Pozatto and Flecha were in trouble?
I didn't watch the race until the very end (was limited by Eurosport coverage); so I don't know the answer to your question. But from the live text of velonews, it seemed like the front accelerated after Hincapie's problems, and the gap between him and the front increased steadily after that. Of course the latter could be due to Hincapie not being up to the task because of him being cleaner or whatever.

TheDarkLord said:
I didn't watch the race until the very end (was limited by Eurosport coverage); so I don't know the answer to your question. But from the live text of velonews, it seemed like the front accelerated after Hincapie's problems, and the gap between him and the front increased steadily after that. Of course the latter could be due to Hincapie not being up to the task because of him being cleaner or whatever.

VeloNews !!!!!

Fark me you might as well been taking a feed from the paceline.com ! VeloNews would report that the peleton takes drugs because they are so scred of Hincapie's talents....... phooey !

Come sign my petition at: hincapieisshit.com

whiteboytrash said:
Ballan using a Garmin;

I noticed Alessandro Ballan was using a Garmin with GPS. Why would he use this...? surely he knew where he was going ? They are quite bulky so not he'd be using it for the speed and heart rate functions.... can someone enlighten ?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2008/apr08/roubaix08/index.php?id=/photos/2008/apr08/roubaix08/bettiniphoto_0026128_1_full
Because he's a dork. Word is he's riding the Scheldeprijs and Amstel this week with a helmet mirror and SPD pedals and sandals.

classic1 said:
Because he's a dork. Word is he's riding the Scheldeprijsthe and Amstel this week with a helmet mirror and SPD pedals and sandals.

Will he also have one of those orange flags on the back of his bike ? perhaps a basket on the front ?

whiteboytrash said:
Will he also have one of those orange flags on the back of his bike ? perhaps a basket on the front ?
No. Orange flags are cooler than Garmins, hence dork-boy won't use one.

classic1 said:
Because he's a dork. Word is he's riding the Scheldeprijs and Amstel this week with a helmet mirror and SPD pedals and sandals.
SPD pedals and sandals??? LOL!

Wayne666 said:
Flecha & Pozzatto had been chasing for quite awhile before Hincapie's wheel problems. I would say that yes once Hincapie was fixing his wheel, and trying to bridge back - seemingly without team mates - that the field accelerated.

From what I could see (yes I watched it), High Road was at front, hammering when it happened. As soon as the High Road boys found, they disappeared from the font, and CSC went at it, accelerating to lose Hincapie and others.