13/15

Pozzato, F 20.00
19.5/25

Flecha Giannoni, J-A 22.00
24/30

Hushovd, T 25.00
40/42

etc

On Apr 12, 11:53 am, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Unibet is ****.www.betfair.comis a more accurate gauge.
>
> Cancellara, F 3.50
> 4.5/5.1
>
> Boonen, T 3.50
> 7.6/7.8
>
> Hoste, L 9.00
> 13/17
>
> Van Petegem, P 11.00
> 19/20
>
> Ballan, A 14.00
> 13/15
>
> Pozzato, F 20.00
> 19.5/25
>
> Flecha Giannoni, J-A 22.00
> 24/30
>
> Hushovd, T 25.00
> 40/42
>
> etc

could you explain the numbers?

Andre

"Andre" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> On Apr 12, 11:53 am, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Unibet is ****.www.betfair.comis a more accurate gauge.
>>
>> Cancellara, F 3.50
>> 4.5/5.1
>>
>> Boonen, T 3.50
>> 7.6/7.8
>>
>> Hoste, L 9.00
>> 13/17
>>
>> Van Petegem, P 11.00
>> 19/20
>>
>> Ballan, A 14.00
>> 13/15
>>
>> Pozzato, F 20.00
>> 19.5/25
>>
>> Flecha Giannoni, J-A 22.00
>> 24/30
>>
>> Hushovd, T 25.00
>> 40/42
>>
>> etc

> could you explain the numbers?
>
> Andre

Betfair doesn't set the odd themselves. The punters do. So 13/15 means that
someone is willing to pay 13 to 1 odds if Ballan wins, while someone else is
looking for 15 to 1 odds. When the odds someone is laying are the same as
the odds someone else is backing, the bet is placed.

Depending how much each side has committed to the transaction, that's the
sum wagered. (If I want to bet $10 on Boonen at 7:1 and you want to lay $7
dollars on Boonen at 7:1, then a $7 bet is made between us at 7:1 and the $3
I didn't use remains available at 7:1 for someone else to lay.

The numbers I quoted are the BEST odds being offered by the punters. I could
lay10:1 odds on Ballan even though someone else is laying 13:1. That just
means that the other layer's bet would get taken before mine (assuming that
there was someone willing to back Ballan at 10:1 or less.)

Also, Betfair is realtime, so the odds are always changing, including during
the race itself.

On Apr 13, 5:48 am, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Andre" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]...
>

> > On Apr 12, 11:53 am, "trg" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Unibet is ****.www.betfair.comisa more accurate gauge.

> >> Cancellara, F 3.50
> >> 4.5/5.1

> >> Boonen, T 3.50
> >> 7.6/7.8

> >> Hoste, L 9.00
> >> 13/17

> >> Van Petegem, P 11.00
> >> 19/20

> >> Ballan, A 14.00
> >> 13/15

> >> Pozzato, F 20.00
> >> 19.5/25

> >> Flecha Giannoni, J-A 22.00
> >> 24/30

> >> Hushovd, T 25.00
> >> 40/42

> >> etc

> > could you explain the numbers?

> > Andre

> Betfair doesn't set the odd themselves. The punters do. So 13/15 means that
> someone is willing to pay 13 to 1 odds if Ballan wins, while someone elseis
> looking for 15 to 1 odds. When the odds someone is laying are the same as
> the odds someone else is backing, the bet is placed.
>
> Depending how much each side has committed to the transaction, that's the
> sum wagered. (If I want to bet $10 on Boonen at 7:1 and you want to lay $7
> dollars on Boonen at 7:1, then a $7 bet is made between us at 7:1 and the$3
> I didn't use remains available at 7:1 for someone else to lay.
>
> The numbers I quoted are the BEST odds being offered by the punters. I could
> lay10:1 odds on Ballan even though someone else is laying 13:1. That just
> means that the other layer's bet would get taken before mine (assuming that
> there was someone willing to back Ballan at 10:1 or less.)
>
> Also, Betfair is realtime, so the odds are always changing, including during
> the race itself.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the explanation, it only seems weird that the odds could
change while the race is still on.

Andre

trg wrote:
> Depending how much each side has committed to the transaction, that's the
> sum wagered. (If I want to bet $10 on Boonen at 7:1 and you want to lay $7
> dollars on Boonen at 7:1, then a $7 bet is made between us at 7:1 and the $3
> I didn't use remains available at 7:1 for someone else to lay.

That doesn't make sense to me. You're both betting 7:1 on the same
result and you're somehow betting against each other?

Well, maybe you mean that one of you is betting 7:1 against Boonen? But
bets on a race aren't usually made that way - everyone bets *for*
someone, not against someone.

(Ok, I admit I've never placed such a bet.)

--
Tony Rall

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 17:08:22 -0700, Tony Rall <[email protected]>
wrote:

>That doesn't make sense to me. You're both betting 7:1 on the same
>result and you're somehow betting against each other?
>
>Well, maybe you mean that one of you is betting 7:1 against Boonen? But
>bets on a race aren't usually made that way - everyone bets *for*
>someone, not against someone.
>
>(Ok, I admit I've never placed such a bet.)

Auction betting has been around for a long time, just in most cases it
has a middle man that is more obvious. And this process in prinicple
seems to work well enough in the futures market.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...