Paris - Roubaix

whiteboytrash said:
....also remember everyone was saying Boonen was sick before Flanders and he ended up winning by a country mile !

This is just noise from Bonnen…. he knows his body.
He is the favorite by far. nou doubt.
I think he WANTS it sooo bad that he goes out and destroys his opponents and his body at the same time.
He'll recover and win of course.
I just want to see some shake up in the finale.
At least give us 2 DC riders to try and attack him, please.

hombredesubaru said:
He is the favorite by far. nou doubt.
I think he WANTS it sooo bad that he goes out and destroys his opponents and his body at the same time.
He'll recover and win of course.
I just want to see some shake up in the finale.
At least give us 2 DC riders to try and attack him, please.
I agree and there was talk this morning from some riders saying if they want to beat Bonnen they all have to attack him... some may fail but they have to at least give it a chance.....

whiteboytrash said:
I agree and there was talk this morning from some riders saying if they want to beat Bonnen they all have to attack him... some may fail but they have to at least give it a chance.....
Anybody that goes to the final 500 meters with Boonen, unless it is Petacchi with Milram loaded is going to lose. And Boonen can be sick and still win. To beat him and QS the other riders must isolate him and attack him at all times..... Remember this is excellent strategy. This is what everyone wanted to do to Lance in the TDF.Isolate him and beat him ...
Wait ..I just thought about that. Maybe that is not such a good idea.....

wolfix said:
Anybody that goes to the final 500 meters with Boonen, unless it is Petacchi with Milram loaded is going to lose. And Boonen can be sick and still win. To beat him and QS the other riders must isolate him and attack him at all times..... Remember this is excellent strategy. This is what everyone wanted to do to Lance in the TDF.Isolate him and beat him ...
Wait ..I just thought about that. Maybe that is not such a good idea.....
But... what's the alternative...

I've never seen the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix and Chris Horner has never ridden the race, so take this for only that.

http://193.195.96.172/displayarticle.asp?pk=7385

Chris Horner on the P-R cobbles:

"Let me tell you, though - there’s a huge difference between Flanders and Paris-Roubaix. They’re not even close to the same. In one, the cobbles are used every day by the cars, and kept up, and stuff like that. The other one - it’s completely different . . .

Q: They open them up once a year . . .

Yeah, for the bikes (laughs) - that’s it. I’m telling you - I cannot explain the differences to you. It just wouldn’t do it justice. The best I could do would be to describe it like this - they plowed a dirt road, flew over it with a helicopter, and then just dropped a bunch of rocks out of the helicopter! (we both crack up) That’s Paris-Roubaix. It’s that bad - it’s ridiculous. "

wolfix said:
Looks like fun....
With all the rain we've had in N. California, the photo looks like the road to my house. Ironically, I live on French Creek Road.

Here's a photo of Bobke on the P-R.

The unsung heroes of the P-R (and Flanders) really are the people who work so hard on the cobbles to make them ridable :)eek: ). They must put in so many hours to get all that mud off the cobbles so that you can at least see them come race day.

lwedge said:
With all the rain we've had in N. California, the photo looks like the road to my house. Ironically, I live on French Creek Road.

Graham Watson photo ...... Watson has some fantastic photos of P-R, Flanders, Ghent .......

on the Boonen is tired rumour... people have already said here that he can probably win tired. Also, he has nothing to lose at this point. It is a long time until he needs to perform again. Assuming he will ride the Giro for stages, that's a month away. He can ride himself ragged on Sunday, then rest up. George has to get ready for the Tour which might work better if he didn't completely crush himself on Sunday. It should be good. Thank goodness for Cycling.tv I will be watching and won't have to rely on the descriptions of reporters and you euros out there.

Excuse the ignorance, but is Tom Boonen racing the Tour this year or is he focusing exclusively on the Spring classics?

PartisanRanger said:
Excuse the ignorance, but is Tom Boonen racing the Tour this year or is he focusing exclusively on the Spring classics?
He will take a time out after the Scheldeprijs (coming Wednesday) and than build up for The TdF. He is going for the green jersey...

lwedge said:

bobke always could pick the right lines, here he is in mud and water, what a great pick. an initimation of his future in mountain biking.

cyclingheroes said:
He will take a time out after the Scheldeprijs (coming Wednesday) and than build up for The TdF. He is going for the green jersey...
Cool, thanks for the info.

PartisanRanger said:
Cool, thanks for the info.
It is a French race right?
When did frog last win this thing. Hinault? Didnt Madiot win it later?
I'll bet no French rider comes within five minutes of the lead group.
Any takers?