Paris - Roubaix

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by cyclingheroes, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Bjorn P.Dal

Bjorn P.Dal New Member

Lol Booen outwits the disco boys again!

2. bobke

bobke New Member

No one else thnk thats an odd ruling?
    Conspiracy theorists are right.
    That just sucks.
    George was the strngest rider by far.

And why cant the organizers find a way for trains not to go through at a well known point in the race?!?!?

3. bobke

bobke New Member

I fail to see the humor since Boonen lost the race fair and square. He didnt have it, period.

He ought to refuse to get on the podium if he's any kind of rider.

4. wolfix

wolfix New Member

George simply does not have any luck .....Thank god the train did not tarnish Fabian Cancellara's victory, though it did tarnish the race..... Fabian Cancellara had a beautiful finish. I will say this though, I think maybe DC's future may be in the Classics. With the addition of a great sprinter, they have all the riders that can get the sprinter there.

5. micron

micron New Member

Boonen lost, acknowledged Cancellara as by far the strongest rider in the race and heartily congratulated him.

As for the level crossing incident - the rule applies to all pro racing and is quite clear - funnily enough, it's for the riders' safety - imagine if the train had been there a few seconds sooner...

6. wolfix

wolfix New Member

The railroad thing is just a lousy deal.....

And here is why ...... First of all crossing the tracks did nothing to change the race. The finishing order would have been the same even if Boonen did not have to stop. Plus the rules are looked the other way in cases of the motors pacing cars back to the front group like they did today.......

I just took this off of cyclingnews.....
    One of the few riders that has some chance of stealing glory away from Belgian cycling god Tom Boonen is a 32 year-old from South Carolina, USA, by the name of George Hincapie. In recent years, his Discovery Channel team has given Jungle George every opportunity to try and win a race he's long dreamed of winning. This includes his Trek prototype - Cyclingnews' Anthony Tan spoke with one of Trek's leading men, Scott Daubert, asking him what has been done to give Hincapie the winning edge.

7. bobke

bobke New Member

I just read that articel and the forks were older style OCLV with an ALUMINUM steerer that probably broke.

8. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

http://video.vrtnieuws.net/sport_ma...409_18u_parijs_roubaix-20060409-181424-HB.wmv

they're crossing the road when the barriers were down, so i think that the rule was fairly applied here.

9. bobke

bobke New Member

No it wasnt...here is a pic with Boonen going through with the barrier down.
    The rules apply here dont they. They didnt know if another train was coming etc.
    The rule is the rule.
    The barrier down means Boonen should also be DQ'd/

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/roubaix06/index.php?id=Par704042

10. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

George would have been fine if Dirk Demol and Lief Hoste hadn't sabotaged his bike.

11. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

i'm all for that. Eisel would've then been second!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

[​IMG]

13. bobke

bobke New Member

Exactly!!!!!!!!

14. Dead Star

Dead Star New Member

please tell me you're both joking? :D

15. bobke

bobke New Member

I can only speak for myself and say did anyone see Boonen reach in his back pocket, grab a small remote control,push a button, and seconds later Hincapie was flailing in the wind and falling.

Then flash back to Hincapie on the side of the road. Bruyneel upset leaning over to help George, Demol in the background snickering.

16. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Having watched the whole thing now:

Amazing win for Fabian Cancellara. No question that he was flat out the strongest in the race. The way he opened up on Gusev was awesome. And then he TT to Roubaix and not even a three man group could bring him in. Much congrats! (Now if he would just shave that sketchy mustache.)

PvP was great again. Perhaps not the same as a few years agao, but his consistency is impressive. Hoste had a strong attack on Felcha and Boonen.

Boonen got a lucky second, considering that he was not at his best today. Proof positive that the man can be beat.

Horrible luck for Disco on multiple fronts. Bad fall for Hammond, bad equipment for Hincapie and the DSQ for Gusev and Hoste. Not that I think Hoste, PvP, and Gusev should have gone through the crossing, but bad luck on the train's timing. Just horrible luck.

Looked to be fine weather -- though I didn't catch the temperature. Maybe next year a little rain :)

Great race.

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Yeah, it was a very good race.
    I am very impressed with Hoste - to finish second in RVV and P-R shows great
    talent.

TB looked a little tired I thought but still finished 6th (on the road).

Cancellar though was the strongest on the day - agreat win for the former world champion (underage).

I was impressed too with PVP : he has lost a slight bit of speed but he had a great race.
    (forget about the dsq).

18. when eddy ruled

when eddy ruled New Member

george MIGHT have been the strongest, pity his steerer wasnt

19. wolfix

wolfix New Member

An odd question here ...... I realize that only former "Road" World Champions get to wear the rainbow stripes on their jersey cuffs during road races.. But since Cancellar has won the underage Worlds, is he ever allowed to wear the stripes on his jersey cuffs?
    And is there an actual underage World's race or is it run in conjuction with the Mens World Road Race?

20. a5hi5m

a5hi5m New Member

By underage, do you mean U23? thats run the same day or day before as the Mens.

Ash