Paris - Roubaix

hombredesubaru said:
It is a French race right?
I'll bet no French rider comes within five minutes of the lead group.
Any takers?
First Frenchman - Frédéric Guesdon in 7th.
First American - a tie between George Hincapie and Aaron Olsen, both of whom were DNF.

limerickman said:
There are separate races within mens and womens age categories for world titles.
Dpeneding on riders age - the races are categories as senior, under 23 etc, junior etc.
Cancellara was U-23 world champion if I recall correctly.

I don't know if any cyclist other than senior world champions are allowed to wear the stripes.
If I'm not completely mistaken junior world champions can wear stripes. IIRC Hushovd has his stripes on when he rides ITT's, he was U23 world champion in this event. The practice concerning to wear or not to wear seems to differ from team to team though, Bjarne supposedly doesnt like any of his riders standing out in that way since it goes against the unity of the team or something like that. I remember this reported when Kurt Asle Arvesen joined CSC, legally he's allowed to wear stripes since he won the U23 road race (in front of Freire), but he has not worn them after he joined CSC.

Bjørn P.Dal said:
If I'm not completely mistaken junior world champions can wear stripes. IIRC Hushovd has his stripes on when he rides ITT's, he was U23 world champion in this event. The practice concerning to wear or not to wear seems to differ from team to team though, Bjarne supposedly doesnt like any of his riders standing out in that way since it goes against the unity of the team or something like that. I remember this reported when Kurt Asle Arvesen joined CSC, legally he's allowed to wear stripes since he won the U23 road race (in front of Freire), but he has not worn them after he joined CSC.

Ok : you've given me some information that I wasn't aware of, Bjorn.
The CSC policy, I can understand given what we know about Riis and his method of team building.

Arvesen was U23 world champion as you correctly point out - although I never noticed the fact that he didn't display his stripes at CSC!
(Arvesen is a great rider - gutsy, determined etc).

TrekDedicated said:
Dammit Trek....I hope George is okay.
Didn't the mechanics check the bikes before he rode ? It was diabolic and probably happened because he spent so much time riding at the back. Hincapie is the Jan Ullrich of the classics. He should of checked his bike before the race.

But enough of Hincapie his season is over. Lets talk about CSC…. What a team ! Classics, Giro, the Tour.. they can win them all !

It can't be feasible that an American would finish behind a Frenchman. And I don't know if I'd ever give anyone considering a Trek the thumbs up. I wonder if Bjorn has it on torrent.

Having re-watched P-R earlier : Trek sales won't be too impressed with their product disintegrating like it did yesterday.

I know these days components are manufactured separately etc and I ain't no techie but the image of a Trek bike disintegrating like that, can't instill much confidence.

limerickman said:
Having re-watched P-R earlier : Trek sales won't be too impressed with their product disintegrating like it did yesterday.

I know these days components are manufactured separately etc and I ain't no techie but the image of a Trek bike disintegrating like that, can't instill much confidence.
Agreed. Seeing Hincapie taking his hands off the bars and hoping for the best was a scary site. Trek need to get this sorted and issue a statement.

whiteboytrash said:
Didn't the mechanics check the bikes before he rode ? It was diabolic and probably happened because he spent so much time riding at the back. Hincapie is the Jan Ullrich of the classics. He should of checked his bike before the race.

But enough of Hincapie his season is over. Lets talk about CSC…. What a team ! Classics, Giro, the Tour.. they can win them all !

I guess there is no possibility the earlier crash he took could have affected the bike in a way he could not directly know which caused the later failure???

davidbod said:
I guess there is no possibility the earlier crash he took could have affected the bike in a way he could not directly know which caused the later failure???
Thats what Bruyneel speculated in the post race interview...I mean George is a big boy and went down hard in the first 30 km hurting his hand. Then all the pounding on the pave and the force one puts on the steerer.

It wasnt the fork having seen endless repeats of the footage on OLN. It was the part of the bike that connects the stem to the bike, couldnt see where it snapped...but that would have been a Bontrager stem and connector.
Here it is:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/roubaix06/index.php?id=hincapie_trek/IMG_9944

Thats where it snapped. George may show up riding a Litespeed painted dicos colors in the Tour.
This injury is serious he is flying to the US to have it done. Tour plans will change now.

Trek is not the only company that has problems with races like Roubaix. Too bad for George even if i think he wouldn't have won the race, he did race a great Paris-Roubaix.

About the disqualification: Boonen said today he didn't like the way he got second, he thinks a fifth place was ok and he said the disqualification of the other 3 was ridiclious. Even Leblanc complained about it.

But what a race of Cancellara!

Here some pics i made yesterday. More pics tomorrow at our website (see signature)

Pictures with Steegmans, Hincapie and Boonen where made at the cobblestones in Arenberg. The pic of Cancellara was made at Roubaix.

That's a nice comment from TB : he's correct to say that 2nd under those circumstances isn't fair.
The more I read about TB, the more I admire him.
He seems like a very levelheaded youngman.

As regards Hincapie's bike snapping - I saw bikes failing in P-R years ago.
In recent times there have been little or no bike failures.
The technology these days is so good - there is no excuse for a bike failing in this era.

limerickman said:
That's a nice comment from TB : he's correct to say that 2nd under those circumstances isn't fair.

The technology these days is so good - there is no excuse for a bike failing in this era.

I know that P-R is THE hardest race (on bikes and riders) but can you imagine if Lance had lost out on a Tour win because of a Trek failing? Trek will no doubt blame Big Dode's first crash for weaking the steerer but I read him saying that during the test of his P-R bike he was riding it at the biggest holes he could find to test the new shock absorbing system. Doh! My mate is a Big Dode fan and was almost in tears when he crashed. I'm a train spotter so I was delighted to see the barriers come down on the level crossing.

limerickman said:

WOW WE AGREE.
I mean **** happens, too bad it happens to George so much.
Not a great advertisement for Trek and Bontrager.
He was great.
But Cancellara is great what a great rider.
Seems like a nice guy also.

CSC put alot of work into the mechanical 'fortune' they had and it paid off... extra wheels, extra bikes people out on the road (see below)..... Maybe Big George should done the same..... teams don't plan to fail they fail to plan....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/apr06/apr10news2

Sunderland also commented about CSC's mechanical 'fortune'. "It was great. We only had one puncture with Allan Johansen. We had no wheel problems, the bikes were great - everything. The mechanics did a ton of work. I stressed them out beforehand. It's hard because it's a one day race. It's like getting ready for a three week tour. We had three bikes for everyone, a lot of pairs of wheels, five people out on the road, with one or two pairs of wheels and bidons."

rocko said:
I know that P-R is THE hardest race (on bikes and riders) but can you imagine if Lance had lost out on a Tour win because of a Trek failing? Trek will no doubt blame Big Dode's first crash for weaking the steerer but I read him saying that during the test of his P-R bike he was riding it at the biggest holes he could find to test the new shock absorbing system. Doh! My mate is a Big Dode fan and was almost in tears when he crashed. I'm a train spotter so I was delighted to see the barriers come down on the level crossing.

whiteboytrash said:
CSC put alot of work into the mechanical 'fortune' they had and it paid off... extra wheels, extra bikes people out on the road (see below)..... Maybe Big George should done the same..... teams don't plan to fail they fail to plan....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/apr06/apr10news2

Sunderland also commented about CSC's mechanical 'fortune'. "It was great. We only had one puncture with Allan Johansen. We had no wheel problems, the bikes were great - everything. The mechanics did a ton of work. I stressed them out beforehand. It's hard because it's a one day race. It's like getting ready for a three week tour. We had three bikes for everyone, a lot of pairs of wheels, five people out on the road, with one or two pairs of wheels and bidons."

Ummm. The fork breaking at the stem is not a wheel problem per say, and it wouldn't have mattered if he had an 18 wheeler full of bikes and equipment following him. He wasn't getting back on a bike yesterday period.

davidbod said:
Ummm. The fork breaking at the stem is not a wheel problem per say, and it wouldn't have mattered if he had an 18 wheeler full of bikes and equipment following him. He wasn't getting back on a bike yesterday period.
However it exemplifies the work that CSC put into the equipment and the time they spent checking every detail.... this is why they only had one puncture and no mechanicals. DC should have done the same……. treated the race like a three week stage race and not some afterthought.

Just because CSC have stated they put a lot of effort into their equipment for this race doesn't mean the other teams didn't do it too. All the teams will put lots of effort into thoroughly checking their equipment, their pro's and they have big teams of pro mechanics to help them.

results speak louder than words... CSC won the day the others didn't...

Eldrack said:
Just because CSC have stated they put a lot of effort into their equipment for this race doesn't mean the other teams didn't do it too. All the teams will put lots of effort into thoroughly checking their equipment, their pro's and they have big teams of pro mechanics to help them.