Paris - Roubaix

Here is a link to GH's P-R bike, and indeed the fork is non-standard. It has an alluminum steerer instead of being full carbon like the rest of the DC boys. As far as I know the only way alluminum snaps is by first being stressed beyond its resiliance point and then being re-stressed. Intersetingly in this case it seems a full carbon fork would have been stronger as I can't even begin to imagine how carbon could snap. It could crack and over time eventually break, but not snap like alluminium.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2006/apr06/roubaix06/?id=/tech/2006/features/hincapie_trek

davidbod said:
As far as I know the only way alluminum snaps is by first being stressed beyond its resiliance point and then being re-stressed.

Nonsense. Just complete hooey.

DiabloScott said:
Nonsense. Just complete hooey.
Well, yes, but given the forces involved it makes much more sense that it was stressed first to be fatigued and then it failed. In other words I just can't imagine that a single incidental force in a bike race, even P-R, took a perfectly good al steerer from full integrity to snapping off.

By the way thanks for reminding us of those who have gone before us.

P.S. aren't you in the wrong forum.

davidbod said:
Well, yes, but given the forces involved it makes much more sense that it was stressed first to be fatigued and then it failed. In other words I just can't imagine that a single incidental force in a bike race, even P-R, took a perfectly good al steerer from full integrity to snapping off.

What I was calling hooey was your reference to a "resiliance point". The steerer probably did fail in fatigue judging from the video. All fatigue (steel, aluminum, brass) starts with a small crack and then propogates under cyclical stress.

That initial crack could have been a manufacturing or material defect, a trauma from the earlier crash, or an installation error from tightening down the stem too hard... any number of things. It's extremely unlikely that the aluminum steerer experienced the number of stress cycles required to initiate its own crack during its short life.

whiteboytrash said:
results speak louder than words... CSC won the day the others didn't...
That sounds a bit like the "I train harder than anybody else" statement of a certain Mr Armstrong... I'm pretty sure other teams had a similar (good) failure record in P-R but CSC got the result cause it was meticulous AND had the better talent.

Seems that PVP is blaming Hoste for going through the railtrack.....

"I know but too well that you have to stop when you are in front of a closed red-light railway crossing," said the veteran rider to Belgian newspaper De Morgen. "I myself hit the brakes, but Hoste kept on going, Gusev followed and what does one do in a situation like that but follow? What if Cancellara had been in front of the closed railway passage and lost the race because of it?" he asked.

davidbod said:
Ummm. The fork breaking at the stem is not a wheel problem per say, and it wouldn't have mattered if he had an 18 wheeler full of bikes and equipment following him. He wasn't getting back on a bike yesterday period.
...although it appears that if they extra bikes en-route like CSC Hincapie could of swapped it and not ended up in a ditch.... afteralll from below it appears he knew there was a problem..... diabolical.

Discovery team bike sponsor Trek is having the fork from George Hincapie's bike returned to its US headquarters for a "thorough evaluation."

Hincapie sustained a broken bone in his shoulder when the steerer tube of his bike broke 45km from the finish, causing him to crash. Trek and Discovery say they suspect the crash was caused by damage sustained in an earlier incident. "George was in a crash earlier in the day, but due to race conditions and his comments that everything seemed fine, we did not change to his back up bike," said Discovery's directeur sportif, Johan Bruyneel, in a statement.

Shortly before the second crash, Hincapie told team directors that he felt looseness in his steering and thought his headset may have come loose as a result of the earlier crash. The team was figuring out when and how to swap to his spare bike when Hincapie entered another cobbled section and crashed.

"I believe that the first crash set the stage for the big crash", said Bruyneel. "Section after section the vibrations just kept coming until the damaged steerer gave loose."

"The cobbles do not discriminate," said Julien De Vriese, the team's head mechanic.

whiteboytrash said:
Seems that PVP is blaming Hoste for going through the railtrack.....

"I know but too well that you have to stop when you are in front of a closed red-light railway crossing," said the veteran rider to Belgian newspaper De Morgen. "I myself hit the brakes, but Hoste kept on going, Gusev followed and what does one do in a situation like that but follow? What if Cancellara had been in front of the closed railway passage and lost the race because of it?" he asked.
No not really, i saw an interview with PVP and he is blaming the UCI and the race organisation. But yes he is really angry!

Jean-François Pescheux, the director of Paris-Roubaix (Leblanc retires) said today that next year's route will pass the railway again at exactly the same spot. They don't have an alternative: there is a small bridge but the team cars can't drive over that bridge. The alternative is to ride another route which would take 25 kilometers extra and the Carrefour de l'Arbre would be 40 kilometrs from the finish, the A.S.O. doesn't want that. So it looks like the problem could happen more often....

cyclingheroes said:
Jean-François Pescheux, the director of Paris-Roubaix (Leblanc retires) said today that next year's route will pass the railway again at exactly the same spot. They don't have an alternative: there is a small bridge but the team cars can't drive over that bridge. The alternative is to ride another route which would take 25 kilometers extra and the Carrefour de l'Arbre would be 40 kilometrs from the finish, the A.S.O. doesn't want that. So it looks like the problem could happen more often....

surely that problem wouldn't occur if they weren't riding so fast?

I reckon the real reason Flecha attacked so much was because he knew about the train! :eek:

Dead Star said:
surely that problem wouldn't occur if they weren't riding so fast?

I reckon the real reason Flecha attacked so much was because he knew about the train! :eek:
Rabobank probebly financed that train...:D

cyclingheroes said:

So it would be safe to say that all teams will make sure they have a clear understanding of what to do if a train comes. ;)

mitosis said:
You mean like a back up in case sawing half way through his stem didn't work?
I guess the train conductor didnt hear G crashed and tried to block Hoste instead. Thats why they had to resort to DQ the riders when Hoste slipped through. To make it look believable and cover up the plot. The plot to divert attention away from the plot to make G crash etc etc

bobke said:
I guess the train conductor didnt hear G crashed and tried to block Hoste instead. Thats why they had to resort to DQ the riders when Hoste slipped through. To make it look believable and cover up the plot. The plot to divert attention away from the plot to make G crash etc etc
Its all so obvious now. :eek:

The new CycleSport magazine has just come out with Boonen on the front cover under the title "The hardest working man in cycling"...... inside it details just how hard he works.... I have new respect for the man..... interesting he plans to retire at a young age because he want to spend more time with his girlfriend and soon wife...... what a guy.