Park BBT-2 Bottom Bracket tool question for FSA bb

Brian Phillips

Guest
Just bought this FSA bottom bracket:
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...t+ISIS+BSC+108&vendorCode=FSA&major=1&minor=6
and the web site says the Park BBT-2 tool will work for it. Fortunately,
I've had one in my tool box for years that I've used on my Shimano bb's.
Unfortunately, the tool will only slide on so far over the spindle then it
comes to a stop before catching on the teeth. The inside diameter of the
tool isn't large enough to allow it to slide all the way over the spindle to
allow the teeth to engage.

Anyone else (Sheldon, Peter, Mike J.?) run across this? Is it just because
my tool is an older one- are the newer BBT-2 tools made differently to
accommodate the FSA spindle (which didn't exist IIRC at the time I bought
the tool)?

Brian Phillips wrote:
> Just bought this FSA bottom bracket:
> http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...t+ISIS+BSC+108&vendorCode=FSA&major=1&minor=6
> and the web site says the Park BBT-2 tool will work for it. Fortunately,
> I've had one in my tool box for years that I've used on my Shimano bb's.
> Unfortunately, the tool will only slide on so far over the spindle then it
> comes to a stop before catching on the teeth. The inside diameter of the
> tool isn't large enough to allow it to slide all the way over the spindle to
> allow the teeth to engage.
>
> Anyone else (Sheldon, Peter, Mike J.?) run across this? Is it just because
> my tool is an older one- are the newer BBT-2 tools made differently to
> accommodate the FSA spindle (which didn't exist IIRC at the time I bought
> the tool)?

I'm pretty sure that the BBT-2 did get its ID enlarged at some point
without a new model name.

The BBT-2 had a running change 3 years ago for the FSA and Race Face
bottom brackets in the ISIS Drive. The ID is larger. To check, take a
US quarter and try to drop it down the hole. The older models will not
accept the quarter, while the newer models will.

Calvin Jones
Park Tool

Brian Phillips wrote:
> Just bought this FSA bottom bracket:
> http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...t+ISIS+BSC+108&vendorCode=FSA&major=1&minor=6
> and the web site says the Park BBT-2 tool will work for it. Fortunately,
> I've had one in my tool box for years that I've used on my Shimano bb's.
> Unfortunately, the tool will only slide on so far over the spindle then it
> comes to a stop before catching on the teeth. The inside diameter of the
> tool isn't large enough to allow it to slide all the way over the spindle to
> allow the teeth to engage.
>
> Anyone else (Sheldon, Peter, Mike J.?) run across this? Is it just because
> my tool is an older one- are the newer BBT-2 tools made differently to
> accommodate the FSA spindle (which didn't exist IIRC at the time I bought
> the tool)?

Some BBT-2s have the inside milled out enough to fit over the spindle
of the FSA. Most do not. We sell a FSA tool that works for FSA as well
as shimano.

Calvin Jones wrote:
> The BBT-2 had a running change 3 years ago for the FSA and Race Face
> bottom brackets in the ISIS Drive. The ID is larger. To check, take a
> US quarter and try to drop it down the hole. The older models will not
> accept the quarter, while the newer models will.
>
> Calvin Jones
> Park Tool

Thanks Calvin, it's nice to hear from an industry, manufacturer on this
NG.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 20:56:56 -0800, "Brian Phillips"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone else (Sheldon, Peter, Mike J.?) run across this? Is it just because
>my tool is an older one- are the newer BBT-2 tools made differently to
>accommodate the FSA spindle (which didn't exist IIRC at the time I bought
>the tool)?

I do know that the early BB-2 tools were different. I recall filing
the end of mine so that it was flat and not beveled. Don't bother
getting a BB-2. A Pedro's or FSA ISIS tool works fine on what you
woud use a BB-2 for.

There is a (nicely forged) tool from FSA, which will also work with
Shimano. It takes a 1/2" socket drive, btw, rather than the 3/8" the
Park uses.

Brian Phillips wrote:
> Just bought this FSA bottom bracket:
> http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...t+ISIS+BSC+108&vendorCode=FSA&major=1&minor=6
> and the web site says the Park BBT-2 tool will work for it. Fortunately,
> I've had one in my tool box for years that I've used on my Shimano bb's.
> Unfortunately, the tool will only slide on so far over the spindle then it
> comes to a stop before catching on the teeth. The inside diameter of the
> tool isn't large enough to allow it to slide all the way over the spindle to
> allow the teeth to engage.
>
> Anyone else (Sheldon, Peter, Mike J.?) run across this? Is it just because
> my tool is an older one- are the newer BBT-2 tools made differently to
> accommodate the FSA spindle (which didn't exist IIRC at the time I bought
> the tool)?

Thanks, Calvin. You also responded quickly by e-mail when I posed the
question on the Park web site last night. I'll pick up a new BBT-2. Maybe
you should call the current version a BBT-2.1?

news:[email protected]...

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Calvin Jones wrote:
> > The BBT-2 had a running change 3 years ago for the FSA and Race Face
> > bottom brackets in the ISIS Drive. The ID is larger. To check, take a
> > US quarter and try to drop it down the hole. The older models will not
> > accept the quarter, while the newer models will.
> >
> > Calvin Jones
> > Park Tool

> Thanks Calvin, it's nice to hear from an industry, manufacturer on this
> NG.

I KNOW people from shimano, Campagnolo, Trek, Specialized, etc, view
this NG but few to never say anything-too bad.

On 21 Jan 2006 06:19:20 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>> Calvin Jones wrote:
>> > The BBT-2 had a running change 3 years ago for the FSA and Race Face
>> > bottom brackets in the ISIS Drive. The ID is larger. To check, take a
>> > US quarter and try to drop it down the hole. The older models will not
>> > accept the quarter, while the newer models will.
>> >
>> > Calvin Jones
>> > Park Tool

>> Thanks Calvin, it's nice to hear from an industry, manufacturer on this
>> NG.

>I KNOW people from shimano, Campagnolo, Trek, Specialized, etc, view
>this NG but few to never say anything-too bad.

Peter, can you blame them? A Shimano guy, would be given a lot of
abuse. Now the Campy guy, would probably be treated with respect, but
why find out.

I do agree that it would be nice to hear from industry insiders, but,
like I said, I understand their reluctance.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Peter Chisholm writes:

>>> The BBT-2 had a running change 3 years ago for the FSA and Race
>>> Face bottom brackets in the ISIS Drive. The ID is larger. To
>>> check, take a US quarter and try to drop it down the hole. The
>>> older models will not accept the quarter, while the newer models
>>> will.

>> Thanks Calvin, it's nice to hear from an industry, manufacturer on
>> this NG.

> I KNOW people from Shimano, Campagnolo, Trek, Specialized, etc, view
> this NG but few to never say anything-too bad.

I doubt that they do or they wouldn't continue making the bad products
that they have after reading of the user experiences. They would do
well to monitor the technical discussions that pass by here, but I see
no evidence that they do. I'm thinking of Mavic in particular, but
Campagnolo and Shimano are not immune.

Jobst Brandt

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
[email protected] <[email protected]> a
réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

>>> Thanks Calvin, it's nice to hear from an industry, manufacturer on
>>> this NG.

>> I KNOW people from Shimano, Campagnolo, Trek, Specialized, etc, view
>> this NG but few to never say anything-too bad.

> I doubt that they do or they wouldn't continue making the bad products
> that they have after reading of the user experiences. They would do
> well to monitor the technical discussions that pass by here, but I see
> no evidence that they do. I'm thinking of Mavic in particular, but
> Campagnolo and Shimano are not immune.
>
> Jobst Brandt

They may already have put you on their blacklist....

Jeff Starr wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2006 06:19:20 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> >> Thanks Calvin, it's nice to hear from an industry, manufacturer on this
> >> NG.

> >I KNOW people from shimano, Campagnolo, Trek, Specialized, etc, view
> >this NG but few to never say anything-too bad.

> Peter, can you blame them? A Shimano guy, would be given a lot of
> abuse. Now the Campy guy, would probably be treated with respect, but
> why find out.
>
> I do agree that it would be nice to hear from industry insiders, but,
> like I said, I understand their reluctance.

I donno, it's just a NG afterall. It would lay to rest some BS for
sure. If somebody can't hear the 'goods and others' of their product,
which may improve them and their company........

WHY does shimano earn such disdain? They have good ideas and some good
products..even I admit that.