Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Park PCS-9 (Tried it out today)

Started by William Higley · · Last activity · 5 posts · 992 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
4 January 2004
Last activity
6 January 2004
Original author
William Higley
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
992
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I picked up my Park PCS-9 last night. parktool.comPCS 9.shtml Put it together this
    morning and gave it a try.

    It was quite easy to assemble and it even came with the required tools. With the jaws in the normal
    position I could not get the bike on with the seat (a conflict with the tightening mechanism). I
    then rotated the jaws 180 degrees. The effect of this was to have the fixed portion on the top and
    the adjustable arm on the bottom. This did not seem very secure with the jaw open most of the way.
    It also had the groove for the cables out of plumb.

    I rotated the jaws again and removed the seat. Everything seemed to be work quite well. At this time
    I looked at the clamping mechanism and determined that I could reverse the tightening mechanism.
    This took about three minutes with an allen wrench and a pair of pliers. I now have the crank on the
    bottom of the mechanism. This allows me to leave the seat on, have the cable groove in the right
    position, and proceed to work on the bike.

    I tried the bike in several positions and found that the clamp seemed to hold reasonably well. I
    would recommend that you tighten up the bolts fairly snugly.

    While it is a little early to claim that the stand is a must have, I am happy at this time. It seems
    to be fairly well built, will hold my Vision, is adjustable for various heights, and is available at
    a good price. One advantage to belonging to a local bicycle club is the discount I get at my LBS. I
    told them I saw the stand advertised at $99.95. They matched that and gave me my 10% discount for
    belong to the local bicycle club.

    So far, So good.

    William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket

  2. How big is the Vision tube?

  3. I am need of a stand. I was considering building my own, so I am very interested in how you like
    your stand.

    "William Higley, Sr." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:yridnRmynaNGoWqiRVn-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I picked up my Park PCS-9 last night. parktool.comPCS 9.shtml Put it together
    this morning and gave it a try.

    It was quite easy to assemble and it even came with the required tools.


    With

    Quoted message said:

    the jaws in the normal position I could not get the bike on with the seat


    (a

    Quoted message said:

    conflict with the tightening mechanism). I then rotated the jaws 180 degrees. The effect of this
    was to have the fixed portion on the top and


    the

    Quoted message said:

    adjustable arm on the bottom. This did not seem very secure with the jaw open most of the way. It
    also had the groove for the cables out of plumb.

    I rotated the jaws again and removed the seat. Everything seemed to be


    work

    Quoted message said:

    quite well. At this time I looked at the clamping mechanism and determined that I could reverse
    the tightening mechanism. This took about three


    minutes

    Quoted message said:

    with an allen wrench and a pair of pliers. I now have the crank on the bottom of the mechanism.
    This allows me to leave the seat on, have the


    cable

    Quoted message said:

    groove in the right position, and proceed to work on the bike.

    I tried the bike in several positions and found that the clamp seemed to hold reasonably well. I
    would recommend that you tighten up the bolts


    fairly

    Quoted message said:

    snugly.

    While it is a little early to claim that the stand is a must have, I am happy at this time. It
    seems to be fairly well built, will hold my Vision, is adjustable for various heights, and is
    available at a good price. One advantage to belonging to a local bicycle club is the discount I
    get at my LBS. I told them I saw the stand advertised at $99.95. They matched that


    and

    Quoted message said:

    gave me my 10% discount for belong to the local bicycle club.

    So far, So good.

    William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket

  4. Based on my measurements it is somewhere between 2" and 2 1/4".

    William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket

    "jim h" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How big is the Vision tube?

  5. Having only used it the one time I am favorably impressed. The only minor problem I really had,
    happened when I did not tighten up the base as well as I should have. This allowed the sleeve that
    holds the legs in place to slide up. As this happened the main stand started to lean forward. I
    tightened the bolt a bit more and the unit held.

    I think I will be happy with the unit. If you wish to check back in a month or so I can probably
    give you a better advice.

    I saw plans on how to build a repair stand out of PVC. I reviewed those, modified them a bit to work
    with my other stand, but was never satisfied with the results. I finally decided to either buy the
    adapter($160) for my existing stand or buy the new stand for $99. I figured I could use the extra
    stand for one of my many bikes (2 recumbents, road bike, mountain bike, wife's hybrid, and two
    children's bike for my granddaughters).

    William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket

    "Rob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:wxqKb.4859$hk.3480@pd7tw1no...

    Quoted message said:

    I am need of a stand. I was considering building my own, so I am very interested in how you like
    your stand.

    "William Higley, Sr." <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:yridnRmynaNGoWqiRVn-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I picked up my Park PCS-9 last night. parktool.comPCS 9.shtml Put it together
    this morning and gave it a try.

    It was quite easy to assemble and it even came with the required tools.


    With

    Quoted message said:

    the jaws in the normal position I could not get the bike on with the


    seat

    Quoted message said:

    (a

    Quoted message said:

    conflict with the tightening mechanism). I then rotated the jaws 180 degrees. The effect of this
    was to have the fixed portion on the top and


    the

    Quoted message said:

    adjustable arm on the bottom. This did not seem very secure with the jaw open most of the way.
    It also had the groove for the cables out of


    plumb.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I rotated the jaws again and removed the seat. Everything seemed to be


    work

    Quoted message said:

    quite well. At this time I looked at the clamping mechanism and


    determined

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that I could reverse the tightening mechanism. This took about three


    minutes

    Quoted message said:

    with an allen wrench and a pair of pliers. I now have the crank on the bottom of the mechanism.
    This allows me to leave the seat on, have the


    cable

    Quoted message said:

    groove in the right position, and proceed to work on the bike.

    I tried the bike in several positions and found that the clamp seemed to hold reasonably well. I
    would recommend that you tighten up the bolts


    fairly

    Quoted message said:

    snugly.

    While it is a little early to claim that the stand is a must have, I am happy at this time. It
    seems to be fairly well built, will hold my


    Vision,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is adjustable for various heights, and is available at a good price. One advantage to belonging
    to a local bicycle club is the discount I get at


    my

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    LBS. I told them I saw the stand advertised at $99.95. They matched that


    and

    Quoted message said:

    gave me my 10% discount for belong to the local bicycle club.

    So far, So good.

    William Higley, Sr. Vision R-50 RANS Rocket


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.